Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

gather up norcal people!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:00 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Welcome Choman. Where in Jersey you from? I used to live out there too.

As far as visuals..most places don't bug about visual. If you fail the emissions part, have a CEL, or anything like that you will end up with a problem. My last car had a full exhaust and intake that was not CARB legal and I used to pass smog no problem simply because I passed the emissions sniff test. But start out on a good foot and do your first smog by the book. Ask them questions and go from there. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:02 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks evil.

I came from Fort Lee, NJ.

I talked to the guys at Beshoff down in San Jose and he told me I'd fail with my HFCs and the intakes alone. I guess I'll take my time to figure it out and do it right like you said.

Where are you currently located?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

I live in Santa Rosa now...North Bay. I used to live in Oakland, NJ...north of Hackensack. I used to go to and through FT. Lee all the time, Mitsuwa Market in Edgewater baby! LoL
The following users liked this post:
Choman (10-13-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 12:31 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
If either you or jukebox want to meet up sometime, let me know! More than happy to on a weekend.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:22 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

I would be down...maybe this winter sometime. My job is "seasonal" and slows down then. I should have more time available then
Old 10-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Jukeboxhero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds good, man. Me and Evil used to live in the same neighborhood, and didn't even know it. Tis a small world.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

^^^Werd. Actually, how long have you lived up there? Where did you go to school? We might actually know each other...who knows!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Jukeboxhero

Dude, I've been here since I was born in '85. Went to highland elementary, then bret hart, then Hayward High. Did a little community college at chabot, joined the Army in '06, shipped out to Afghanistan, came back to CONUS and did a stint at 6th ranger training brigade in FL, then came back in '10. Lived for about 2 years or so in the city trying to do a horrible civilian job before giving it the 1-fingered salute and going back to college.

My name is Rich (used to go by Richard when I was younger). Our family had the big white german shepard/husky mix that used to sit on the front lawn all day.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:48 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

We never would have met then. I moved out in '89 when I was 12. However, I went to Highland, All Saints, and Bret Hart! LoL I would have probably gone to Bishop O'Dowd though...my mom did not like the turn Hayward High made and thought Bishop would be better. Small damn world though
Old 10-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Jukeboxhero

lmao, smart choice. Hayward High was thug-lite. Funny thing though, we still considered ourselves a degree better off than Tennyson.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:09 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

^^^That wasn't hard to do though! LoL

I used to play baseball at those fields on Tenneyson...don't remember if they were near the school though
Old 10-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey guys. So I'm in the same boat as Choman. I also just recently moved from NJ (I was in Morris County). I'm in East Bay now (San Leandro) and need to get smogged. I have Berks HFCs and K&N Typhoon intake. Anyone know how I can get this smogged or taken care of without spendign an arm and a leg. I still have the old Cats, but the studs are all busted up, and I also still have the old intake. I'd prefer is someone "knew someone", but I'll see how you guys usually do it.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Well K&N is not CARB legal so you will have to go stock air box for sure. I'd put the stock cats back on as well, you will not pass with your setup. I don't know any "helpful" shops in your area but I do know for the most part, due to the sniffer in the tail pipe (god that sounds dirty lol) you won't pass. Its hard to find special shops too btw...the state is very VERY strict on how smogs are performed and if the shop gets busted for falsifying anything the shop will be fined and shut down. I have a buddy in LA that is a smog tech and that's what he told me. So good luck, welcome to Cali!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Jukeboxhero

Sup Tommy, Evil pretty much said it all. If the smog shop is willing to do "hot smogs" for you, its going to run 2-300, and they usually don't like more than 1 degree of separation (i.e. "hey, I know this guy who is a friend of this other guy..." probably won't fly). I used to know someone, but I do not have that hook-up anymore. I also came back to cali back in '10, apparently it was easier back then. Good luck though, bro. If you have any spare limbs lying around, I'd recommend the Stillen Gen IIIs. Some guys go FI or lease return, and have them for sale in the classifieds for a steal. Just make sure the kit has a CARB sticker, otherwise, you are wasting money. That is part of the visual inspection.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Yeah, the reason it is not so easy to do "Hot Smogs" is because the smog machines now have a direct submission to Sacramento. So once your car passes or fails, that info is immediately sent to DMV headquarters. With OBD2 it is harder to fudge codes and they get all info instantly from the car. So if you hook up another ecu from a seperate car they apparently can tell
The following users liked this post:
Jukeboxhero (10-22-2014)

Quick Reply: gather up norcal people!