Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Takeda Retain Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM
sboucher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takeda Retain Short Ram Intake

Hello,

I am new to this site and have recently purchased a 2102 G37XS coupe and love it. Now that I have been driving it for a few months I have noticed the acceleration(pedal) lag and am looking for more power. I've been reading tons of threads on potential mods and I have a few questions. Takeda short ram intakes state they provide an additional 18HP plus 20 pounds/ft of torque and quicker throttle response just by replacing your stock COI. Any buy/install these and have you seen the stated improvements?

Second question is what is best bang for the buck mods for better HP, throttle response and torque using an Uprev tune? Obviously you can go crazy spending tons of money so I'm looking to make a difference while not spending thousands of dollars. I currently love how the exhaust sounds so its more performance I'm looking for not aesthetics.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this
Old 01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site. Intakes will add some gains but it won't be as high as stated there^^ and it will typically be at the higher rpm range while sacrificing low end power. To be honest the best gains to be had are typically with High Flow Cats or Test pipes, but these will be illegal in states that have smog checks and test pipes will emit raw fuel smell. I have an Injen Short Ram Intake, and it's good for the deep growl at open throttle and looks nice in the engine bay.

I'd get all your bolt on mods prior to any tune, if you plan on an exhaust & intake I'd do those first, but don't expect much power oomph, the VQs are set up pretty maximized from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
kiseliok (01-21-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:04 PM
sboucher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from your experience is it worth doing a COI, HFC and uprev tune? total cost would be around $2000 but if I'm not going to notice a discernible difference is it worth the price? If not what would you recommend to eliminate the acceleration lag? Are the sprint boosters any good?

Thanks for the advice
Old 04-01-2017, 11:26 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Installed this intake in my car last weekend. Can't really tell how much more power I get but it definitely sounds nice.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:43 AM
RazG
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NealP

Installed this intake in my car last weekend. Can't really tell how much more power I get but it definitely sounds nice.
How do you like them so far? Just ordered these, but as im waiting for them to come in I keep asking myself if I should of just ordered the Takeda long tube instead. How big of a difference is it?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:34 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I notice a slight increase in performance but a big increase in engine sound at high rev, I love it. I thought about getting the stillen gen 3 but didn't want to deal with the hassle of removing the bumper for install and any time the filters had to be changed or cleaned. Very happy.