Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Body Control Module Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Miket86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the weekend my 2011 G37 would not start. Dashboard was dead except for small key indicator light. AAA diagnosed a strong battery so I was towed to the nearest Infiniti dealership. Today I was informed that an after market alarm (came with the car when I purchased used from dealership) shorted the BCM and I would have to $1500 to replace the BCM. Warranty was void due to the after market alarm. How would I know that the alarm broke the BCM? Thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 01:47 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
did you buy the vehicle from the infiniti dealer or some hole in the wall dirt dealer lot? if it was an infiniti dealer shouldn't the dealer that sold you the vehicle with the "aftermarket alarm" take care of the repairs since it was the cause of the bcm going bad? if its a ss hithole dirt dealer lot off some corner then i guess either you have to get them to flip the bill or your up ss hit creek.
and to answer how you would know if the alarm shorted your bcm you would need to see the install of the aftermarket alarm to your oem components. plenty of hack job aftermarket alarm installs. plus a lot of those aftermarket alarms are just plain junk and they are not designed to be tapped into vehicle components that are on a CAN network. most late model vehicles operate off a CAN network which is a low voltage low amperage communication bus line and any type of high voltage or current can and will short it out.

Last edited by crookncastle; 01-12-2017 at 01:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
The problem on that car, is the STEERING LOCK mechanism.
When the steering lock (S/L) fail, you get the amber key light on the dash and the car won't turn on at all.

You can search on this forum, G35 forums, 370Z forums, etc... you will find alot of posts about the S/L failure.
Even GT-R is affected by this problem...

Last edited by Elco; 01-11-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Miket86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I bought the used car from an Infiniti dealership with the alarm already installed.the car is not at the same dealership location. My understanding there was only one owner before me.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:58 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Had a BCM issue on a previous car - took me months to figure out what was causing the issues as it was intermittent. PITA! Although it wasn't because of the aftermarket parts (that I know of), but a stress crack. Poor mounting / location, I presume.

Good luck though. Maybe contact the dealer who sold you the car? Depending on the agreement between you and them, you might be able to argue that it was sold as a "covered" part.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:49 AM
Ambruce
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elco
The problem on that car, is the STEERING LOCK mechanism.
When the steering lock (S/L) fail, you get the amber key light on the dash and the car won't turn on at all.

You can search on this forum, G35 forums, 370Z forums, etc... you will find alot of posts about the S/L failure.
Even GT-R is affected by this problem...

@Elco So you think the issue is the steering lock (S/L) and not the BCM? Are the two related or not related? I have a 2011 G37 Journey Sedan and my car recently wouldn’t start back up. It’s push to start so I’m holding the break and pushing the button and nothing is happening. Nothing is even happening when I don’t hold the break. All I see is a flashing amber key icon on the dash. Sometimes it goes from flashing to solid. I also see the red “key in car” icon on the dash but I believe that is just the lock/security mechanism. Any additional thoughts
Old 09-13-2019, 08:35 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
When you push start button do you hear the steering wheel unlock? If not that's the issue. My car started doing it so when it unlocked I pulled the fuse.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:51 AM
Ambruce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
When you push start button do you hear the steering wheel unlock? If not that's the issue. My car started doing it so when it unlocked I pulled the fuse.

When i push the button, whether my foot is on the break or not, I don’t hear anything. All I hear is the sound of me pushing the button. So the car was at a Infiniti dealership to figure out the issue but they were dragging their feet so I took it a known Nissan/Infiniti shop in my area (DC/MD/VA) that I’ve been to before and he’s the one telling me it’s a BCM issue. He didn’t mention anything about the steering lock, so that’s why I ask if the two connected to some sort of degree. I seen one thread that made it seem it like the two go hand in hand. Do they?
Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes they are connected trough the CAN network
The S/L lock have a pair of switches each end position: Locked end and Unlocked end.
If those switches don't close or open in the same time the S/L will detect the condition as a failure and will send a error message over CAN network.
If the S/L lock send a "fail" message over the CAN network, the BCM will not turn on the IPDM and the car will be dead, except the amber key telltale on the instrument cluster (dash).

This issue can be detected easy by a DTC scan on OBD with Consult3 software. If you have S/L DTC triggered, then your Steering lock is the issue.
The S/L can be disabled so you can use the car, but the steering column will not lock/unlock anymore.
Replacing the unit is quite expensive and labor intensive since it involve dismantling a good portion of the dash to get to the 2 screws that hold it in place.
On other Nissan cars, the S/L is mounted under the steering column with easy access to it.
On G37, is mounted ABOVE the steering column so its mounting screws are extremely hard to reach.
Not to mention that those are security screws that are a PITA to remove.

You can find more info on this video with a similar problem on a Nissan car:
The following users liked this post:
PNW_IPL (10-06-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Ambruce
Registered Member

Thank You @Elco and others for this information. Please allow me to explain the timeline of events and issues I’ve been having with my car.

On 9/10/19, I pumped gas into my car (2011 G37 Journey Sedan, vehicle is push to start). After pumping gas, I tried to start the engine but the car only went into ACC I believe with all the lights on the dash on. I turned the car off and then attempted to start the car/engine again but the car didn’t do anything, except showing the amber key light on the dash. I got the car towed to a shop that specialize in Nissan/Infiniti that was highly referred to me that is in my area. He diagnosed the issue as it being the Body Control Module failing and needing to be replaced. The mechanic started working on it on 9/16/19 and I picked it up 9/18/19 and it was working fine.

Four days later on 9/22/19, the same thing happened; car didn’t start, only displaying the amber key light on the dash. I had the car towed to same shop. I had the car towed that day and the mechanic reached out to me the next day saying he noticed some fuses missing due to him “taking a deeper look” into the car. He fixed it that day and I picked it up the next day.

Now two days ago on 10/17/19, the same thing occurred with the car not starting, showing the amber key light once again. Had the car towed to the same shop. The mechanic is now saying the “same” issue ISNT happening this time (even though it appears to be). He said the issue isn’t exactly the same, but very similar. He said the Steering Column Module needs to be replaced now. I know the two go hand in hand but all of this just seems a lil suspect.

It almost looks like either he replaced the Body Control Module originally in error when he should of replaced the Steering Column Module. But I don’t know how the car was able to work after both times coming from the shop. I don’t know enough about technical details. Any thoughts or suggestions from anybody? This car is in the shop now.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Ambruce
Registered Member

I would highly appreciate any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or recommendations that you all could provide @Elco @PNW_IPL @kiseliok
Old 10-20-2019, 12:09 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
First thought that comes to mind based on the symptoms is the brake safety interlock switch. This is a switch located at the brake pedal. You complete the circuit when you step on the brake to start the car. This is a somewhat common cause of the symptoms you describe - in essence the car doesn't recognize the brake getting depressed.

I assume he tested this switch?
Old 10-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Ambruce
Registered Member

@Jsolo Thank you for your thoughts. I don’t think that’s it only because even when I don’t press on the break petal to start the engine and hit the push to start button, nothing happens. No lights, no sound, no nothing. When I had this issue originally back in September, I mentioned it in this thread that’s nothing happens whether I break down on the break petal or not. Any other thoughts?
Old 11-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Ambruce
Registered Member

Greetings,

Hope everyone is well. I wanted to continue to my timeline of events that has been happening to my car since I last posted about my car, in hopes to have some thoughts and ideas shared about the situation. So I last shared in this thread on 10/19/19, that on 10/17/19, my car had it's third occurrence of not working, with all three times appearing to have the same issue. I've replied to that particular post where I described the whole timeline of how my car has been messing up, so it will show below in quotes. But basically, I just received my car back yesterday. The mechanic has had my car since 10/17/19 and stated that he had been ordering the Steering Column Module part from a website called "LKQ", a website where he has ordered many parts before and have been pretty reliable for him and his shop, according to him. He stated that hes been waiting for the part to be shipped multiple times as he has constantly received the Steering Column Module part from the website, install it in my car, test out my car but turning my car off and then back on multiple times, until he runs into an instance where the car is not turning back on. He stated the for this part is a refurbished part from LKQ and it is alot cheaper than a new part that would have to come from the Infiniti dealership.

So on Monday 11/11/19, I talk to the mechanic and he said the car is ready today but he would like to do another day of testing. I agreed. So yesterday (11/12/19) I went to go pick up the car. We turned the car off and on many times. It appeared fine. I drove around for a lil bit until I drove off. About 20 miles / 35 mins down the road, I stopped at a gas station to pump gas. I filled my tank. Tried to start the car but the car wouldnt start. The mechanic had one of techs come to my current location at the moment to see if he could temporarily start the car, that way I could just drive straight to the shop to drop it off. So long story shop, I was shown how unplug/replug the Steering Column Module from underneath my steering wheel, which seems to have been able temporarily solve the issue by starting the car when it is unable to start. This morning my car wouldnt start, showing the same symbols as I have mentioned before (yellow/amber key) and once I unplugged and then replugged the Steering Column Module cord, when I attempted to start my car, it immediately started. So it atleast appears that the issue has been identified and narrowed down to the Steering Column Module. The mechanic has said it appears the final solution will have to be for him to order a brand new Steering Column Module from the Infiniti dealership (which he said will cost about $750), to replace the current refurbished Steering Column Module part in my car as this part and the past two that he has tried have all been "defective" according.

I know this has been a super long read and it also isnt the "Steering Column Module" thread, but I just thought I'd share to see what anybody thought about this situation since the Body Control Module and Steering Column Module work hand in hand and the mechanic also originally replaced the Body Control Module before looking replacing the Sterling Control Module. Any thoughts, ideas, feedback, etc would be greatly appreciated: @Elco @PNW_IPL @kiseliok @Jsolo @Miket86 @crookncastle

I will search for a Steering Columm Module thread and if found, will post in there as well.

Thank You,

Ambruce

Originally Posted by Ambruce
Thank You @Elco and others for this information. Please allow me to explain the timeline of events and issues I’ve been having with my car.

On 9/10/19, I pumped gas into my car (2011 G37 Journey Sedan, vehicle is push to start). After pumping gas, I tried to start the engine but the car only went into ACC I believe with all the lights on the dash on. I turned the car off and then attempted to start the car/engine again but the car didn’t do anything, except showing the amber key light on the dash. I got the car towed to a shop that specialize in Nissan/Infiniti that was highly referred to me that is in my area. He diagnosed the issue as it being the Body Control Module failing and needing to be replaced. The mechanic started working on it on 9/16/19 and I picked it up 9/18/19 and it was working fine.

Four days later on 9/22/19, the same thing happened; car didn’t start, only displaying the amber key light on the dash. I had the car towed to same shop. I had the car towed that day and the mechanic reached out to me the next day saying he noticed some fuses missing due to him “taking a deeper look” into the car. He fixed it that day and I picked it up the next day.

Now two days ago on 10/17/19, the same thing occurred with the car not starting, showing the amber key light once again. Had the car towed to the same shop. The mechanic is now saying the “same” issue ISNT happening this time (even though it appears to be). He said the issue isn’t exactly the same, but very similar. He said the Steering Column Module needs to be replaced now. I know the two go hand in hand but all of this just seems a lil suspect.

It almost looks like either he replaced the Body Control Module originally in error when he should of replaced the Steering Column Module. But I don’t know how the car was able to work after both times coming from the shop. I don’t know enough about technical details. Any thoughts or suggestions from anybody? This car is in the shop now.
The following users liked this post:
KungFooFireman (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 03:24 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Why not just bypass the steering lock module? When the engine is running, pull the Steering Lock fuse. This should solve your problem. Only downside is that your steering wheel will not lock when you turn the car off.

Just my 10¢

Quick Reply: Body Control Module Problem