Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Posting this before I'm no longer "new"

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:06 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Posting this before I'm no longer "new"

Hey everyone! Wanted to post this before I am no longer "new" as I've been on the forums almost a month now. As of 3 weeks ago I am the proud owner of a 2012 G37X with 34,000 miles. I was able to get her in immaculate condition. The original owner showed the car a lot of love and it showed. It came with the Premium package - No Nav. Not a huge deal as I use Waze for GPS when needed. The owner of the dealership was awesome to work with and gave me a great rate on the vehicle. I would absolutely do business with them for the rest of my vehicle purchases - Hands Down. They worked with me so I did not have to come out of pocket at all for the car and was able to trade in my car that I was upside down in at a reasonable price. If anyone is interested I'll be more than happy to give you their information since I'm not sure what the forum rules are as far as that is concerned - but to give you an idea, I drove 2 hrs and through two tolls twice just to seal the deal with them....Anyways, back to the car

I've mentioned in another post that I was really comparing this car to the Genesis when it came down to it. A GTO, G8, Camaro and 5.0 2014 Mustang were also in the running. I really liked the GTO being my dad has a '69 Firebird that I love but I needed something reliable so that eliminated both Pontiacs as they were out of warranty. The Camaro was....awful in my opinion. If anyone here loves them or owns one I apologize if I offended but that thing reminded me of wearing one of those Scream Halloween masks - I couldn't see **** out of it. Love the looks, not the blind spots and feel. The Mustang was great, loved the way it drove and had some raw essence that I loved but I was honest with myself and I'd have killed myself with Winter approaching (I live in MD / PA area snow isn't bad, it's the ice that gets ya). So, when it came down to the Genesis and Infiniti I understand the Genesis is RWD but it is also much more nimble and has a smoother power band than the Coyote did. I drove it first and REALLY liked it. I had every intention of leaving with the G but after driving that I was really unsure. 2014, 2.0t and I already had plans on more power. I let my fiance drive it and she loved it as well. Then, we got into the Infiniti and it was immediately more comfortable and had a "professional" feel to it. I drove it, got into it a bit then handed over the keys to my fiance who, lets be honest, would have a lot of say in what we went home with. She started driving it and I look over to see her cheesing like the Grinch before he steals all the presents from Hoo-ville. We were in agreement that the G was the one hands down. Without further delay...

Really hope I added them correctly....I already started tinkering with the car. Added the DYI Grounding kit and combined some of BB's points to my own for a hybrid of two. Also, added a few dress up bolts to the engine bay, and the vinyl wrap has begun. Hands down the most irritating thing I've ever done. So far I've done the inner most slats of the grille and kept chrome around the outside. Give it a little bit of a different look compared to all the others I've seen. Also hit the Rear emblem Which only took 2 hrs.....
A lot more planned. I have a close friend from college who works at AAM and is going to hook me up with an UpRev, test pipe, and the AAM intakes so stay tuned for that. Hope to have it done within the next couple months.
Attached Thumbnails Posting this before I'm no longer "new"-img_0711.jpg   Posting this before I'm no longer "new"-img_0712.jpg   Posting this before I'm no longer "new"-img_0713.jpg   Posting this before I'm no longer "new"-img_0736.jpg   Posting this before I'm no longer "new"-img_0749.jpg  

Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Congrats! Looking good and looking forward to seeing your future mods!
Old 01-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found some useful modding info here. You are perfectly fine to post the dealership and/or person there that helped you get a deal you are happy with if you like.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, great intro BTW! Looks like you found a nice one and a good choice vs. the Hyundai IMO. Look forward to any more plans you might have.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:00 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Thanks! I'll post some pics of the grille when I get home. As for the dealership:

United Auto Sales in New Castle Delaware was great to work with. Brian, the owner, was a great down to earth guy and really worked the numbers to get me into the G. Stayed over an hr and a half past closing on a Saturday to get the paperwork in order. Multiple follow up calls asking if everything was ok and how things were going with the car; even sent a Christmas card. Class act and a real breath of fresh air in the car dealing world. If you are in the area and considering a purchase please give them a chance - you wont be disappointed.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Davefromaine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all - I too am new - about a month into my new ownership and membership. I just posted my first topic over in the tech area asking about my broken shift linkage.

I found this 2009 G37X sedan base model with 89,000 miles on it. I currently own a VW GTI that I will be getting a buy-back from soon, so I figured I'd buy a lower-priced used car cash to get me through, and this one came up at just the right price. We tried an Audi A-4 and a BMW 328xi, and a VW CC. The G37X won hands down.

It's a bit of an adjustment going from the 50 mpg diesel to this 24 mpg high-test only car, but the go-factor is more than worth it!

Great forum - I've enjoyed learning about our cars.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Noob intro thread hijack is the best thread hijack! Lol. Welcome to the forum Davefromaine!

Old 01-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Davefromaine

Thanks Black Betty - I've been reading many of your old posts, especially in the "Show off your Sedans" thread you started way back when. I'd have posted something, but I'm so bone-stock, it's not worth it.

I figured the OP wouldn't mind me hijacking his thread since we're both fans of white Gs and have a similar taste in prospective cars. Cool how we both landed on our Gs.

I'm into my 60's now, so I doubt I'll be doing much lowering or black-out on this beauty, but I do see some custom wheels, brakes, and exhaust in my very near future!
Old 01-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Davefromaine
Thanks Black Betty - I've been reading many of your old posts, especially in the "Show off your Sedans" thread you started way back when. I'd have posted something, but I'm so bone-stock, it's not worth it.

I figured the OP wouldn't mind me hijacking his thread since we're both fans of white Gs and have a similar taste in prospective cars. Cool how we both landed on our Gs.

I'm into my 60's now, so I doubt I'll be doing much lowering or black-out on this beauty, but I do see some custom wheels, brakes, and exhaust in my very near future!
DROP IT! You know you want to.

When you put a set of larger diameter, lower profile wheels and tires on it and the fender gap morphs into an endless ominous abyss, you'll drop it and remember that I told you so.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:15 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Davefromaine ... welcome to the forum! Make your own new thread! Lol

RMB5190 also welcome to the forum!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

No Problem!!

Glad I could inspire! Yea a drop is almost necessary with these lifted bad boys ha ha. Taking other's advice and doing a drop with the Tein Basis COs. Modest drop along with some sways will be just about all I do for suspension; possibly swap control arms out but we will see. I like the suspension for the most part now and just want to tighten it up slightly. Mine also came with the rosewood interior which I planned on wrapping but it is starting to grow on me.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 PM
Davefromaine

Thanks!

I figured you wouldn't mind me butting in on your intro post. My wife would swap our brushed silver trim for your wood in a heartbeat!

And Black Betty is right - if I put 18s or 19s on it, I'll definitely have to drop it at least a little bit. Being my wife's car I may have a hard time convincing her we NEED to though. We have a lowered Koni-wearing 240Z that she hates the ride. When it was stock, she liked it ok, but ​in full autocross mode she hates it. Oh well...
Old 01-04-2017, 08:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice to see newbies getting along so well, even one's that have been threadjacked

Welcome to the site Dave from Maine, and nice to see there's actually someone here older than me

Glad you found us, and might want to create your own intro thread, just so RMB5190 can interject
Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Davefromaine
I figured you wouldn't mind me butting in on your intro post. My wife would swap our brushed silver trim for your wood in a heartbeat!

And Black Betty is right - if I put 18s or 19s on it, I'll definitely have to drop it at least a little bit. Being my wife's car I may have a hard time convincing her we NEED to though. We have a lowered Koni-wearing 240Z that she hates the ride. When it was stock, she liked it ok, but ​in full autocross mode she hates it. Oh well...
The Konis I have on my G coupe coupled with Swift springs and other suspension goodies give the car outstanding handling and still maintain a comfortable sporty ride. Definitely not luxurious or plush, but not at all harsh. At least by my standards. It's a far better ride and handling that when I had budget coilovers on it. Also the Konis have adjustable damping so you can make it a little cushier for mama and then dial it up on weekends and murder some cones in a parking lot.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Black Betty
The Konis I have on my G coupe coupled with Swift springs and other suspension goodies give the car outstanding handling and still maintain a comfortable sporty ride. Definitely not luxurious or plush, but not at all harsh. At least by my standards. It's a far better ride and handling that when I had budget coilovers on it. Also the Konis have adjustable damping so you can make it a little cushier for mama and then dial it up on weekends and murder some cones in a parking lot.
Don't mean to pry but curiosity is getting the better of me. Did you end up sticking with Nissan/Infiniti after they refused to cover your rear gasket failure? When I was first doing research on this car I believe I came across a post by you were you stated you were having issues with Infiniti covering it after years of loyal ownership; did they end up coming around? This is what led me to looking for a 2012 or newer to avoid any issues. So you ended up sticking with them? Thought you might have switched brands given your Avatar.

@Dave, Luckily I don't have that problem since it's "mine". Before I got the car I walked in and said word for word: "Babe, I'm getting rid of the Mitsubishi *gave my reasons* I'm looking at a Genesis and G37 this weekend. Letting you know that modding is inevitable and I am going to play around with it. Please refrain from negative comments about why I'm doing it. I enjoy it - bottom line." Her response: "That's fine, but I'll be honest about how it looks. Just don't rice the thing out to the point where I'm embarrassed to ride in it." So far, after every time I finish a mod she goes into the garage and inspects my work and is generally pleased with the changes made. She especially liked the black vinyl emblem . But there was a bit of an eye roll when she saw the red GT-R button on the redwood and stone interior lol