Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

About to pull trigger need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 PM
OCMD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to pull trigger need help

First, thanks to all. I love these forums as they have helped me with my jetboat and camper.

I have targeted a G37 convertible purchase, and am about to pull the trigger.

Do I spend more for a 2013, or alot less for a 2010? I am inclined to go with lower mileage, later model year.

First, a 2013 base with about 14000 miles on it, for 28K plus tax, or a 2013 base with 3100o miles for 26,500. I am leaning to the one with 14 k miles.

Good prices? They seem to be. Although I hate buying from a dealer, there is nothing on the market locally on the usual places. So no problem with a dealer in this case.

They are Infiniti's which I imagine are like the Nissans they spawned from, correct? Run forever with minimal maintenance issues other than the usual oil changes, fluid changes, brakes. I looked at the SC430 from Lexus (Toyota) but they were too tiny. Am I correct in that the Infiniti is the upscale version of a Nissan, with all the inherent reliability? Such as the Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura?

Next, I have perused the forum and have learned the roof WILL fail, not might fail. This concerns me as the repairs may be very steep. Ballpark anyone? With a vehicle under 30K miles, is this a real concern?

Extended warranty? Is there one I can purchase that would cover the roof? I hate warranties - especially after market ones because many times, one has to sue to enforce the coverage - I'm an attorney and do it quite often for my friends as well as myself. Any advice on what to do about the warranty? The dealer claims the original power train on either of the above 2 vehicles is 6 years/60000 from date of service. The power train doesn't concern me, it's an Infiniti (correct?) but the roof does concern me.

Thank yo for the insight, but it seems all systems go, especially at a dealer in the last month of the year....
Old 12-27-2016, 04:43 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
For only $1,500 more for less than half the mileage, you would be foolish to get the one with 31,000 unless it has more features than the other, or you hate the color.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, the only real issue w/ the earlier years is prior to 2012 there's an inferior oil gallery gasket that costs upwards of $2k to R&R, it's not inevitable but you should be aware of it. And like Justin mentioned, unless that older vert has the Sport package, (w/ big brakes, better wheels & tires, etc. the 2013 should get the win!
Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:18 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Yep, agree with other guys - 2013 gets my vote.
We bought a 2012 S vert in August with 14k miles and now at 20k and daily roof use - so far so good *knock on wood*.

We do get a few drops of water during a touchless wash, but it's not bad. And I haven't seen anything while driving in the rain. My guess is the angle of the spray is what gets the water into the "right" spots.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM
OCMD

First, thanks for the responses. Of course, the lower mileage one sold yesterday.

In this area I guess I have to jump and I did not...now I am wondering if I am being "forced" to accept the 31k miles one, which I still don't mind. The price asked is 26,500 and I have not been back to the dealer in 2 weeks. Lo and behold I get a text from the salesman this morning to see if I bought a car yet. I found out the lower miles one did sell but there is a 13 with only 4000 miles on it for 31 - manual - but I dont want to spend that much for a 4th car plus I decided against a manual. Too old and too lazy. Any thoughts on the dealer calling me today, at end of month/year, and seeing how the price dropped from 29,900 36 days ago, to 26500 today (26999 last week).

The price seems very good, with balance of factory warranty until next July, then the power train for I think 2 more years. Salesman said a fix on the roof motor will be around 4000 so an extended warranty on this might be something to consider, but I don't have to decide now.

I don't usually buy from dealers, but have to in this situation if I want a G37 vert. Thus, I am not used to dealing with them. At this time of year, even with this great price (isn't it?) if I show up with a check for $25,500 for the price, a second check for $1530 for sales tax, and 200 cash for tags, what do you think? I won't pay their BS prep fee which they say is 599 on top of the 26500 asking price. Again - I haven't dealt with a dealer used car purchase ever. And I am ready to walk, I don't NEED this car....what do you all think? That's another grand off a price that's been coming down. NADA retail is 27,250; KBB says fair market range is 24,276-29,421. But it is end of month, as well as end of year.

I'm all ears, guys and again, I don't need to buy this car - but it probably is the best priced on in the area, considering mileage and year.

THANKS
Old 12-28-2016, 04:33 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

4k miles and manual?!! If it's a sport model, you'll be passing on an amazing deal. I'd be all over that one if it was around when I was shopping. Since it's not your dd, why not the manual?! Autos in these cars are so laggy. :/ Definitely takes awhile to get used to.

For 2010, I think your offer is perfectly reasonable. Definitely be ready to walk away though - don't get attached to the car until you have the title in hand.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 PM
OCMD

Kiseliok: It's a 2013 not 2010, the one I am considering walking i with a check. Do dealers grab this, or is the price the price? Why consider the manual? I can drive one, but at my age think it's a pita - but maybe not as it will mainly be a car to take to my beach place. Thanks (The low miles one is a sport, whatever that does for me. I'm no longer into driving like a nut on the highway like I did with my 535i year ago which was a race car) Thanks!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:38 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

535 as a race car? That's a lot of weight to push with 300ish bhp stock. I'd be curious to see some pics though (and how far down the modding rabbit hole you went).

I could've sworn you said 2010 somewhere .. did you modify your original post? hrmm.

In short, everything is negotiable. There are now more and more "no haggle" dealers, but you can still give them "this is what I will pay" and they can take it from there. You will likely get a hard no at first though.

Sport package gives you upgraded suspension and bigger brakes. It's actually noticeable and definitely desirable with these cars. It also has a slightly different body kit, which is subjective on the looks, of course.

Autos in these cars are quite laggy and I didn't realize how bad it is until I started driving it more regularly. My suv has better throttle response. MUCH better. Kind of scary.
If it's your leisure get-away car for simple cruising around, then you don't need sport or manual. But these things are so much fun in the twisties!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:53 AM
OCMD

Thanks for the advice, Kiseliok. I lost out on the deals about above. Here is the current. 2013 Sport model, 16000 miles, dealer asking 28,500. I am going to offer 27,500. Decent deal? And again I ask, should I be concerned about the roof mechanism on this vehicle? Or are they pretty decent mechanically? You know how it is with newbies. I am a major contributor on the Yamaha Jet Boat forum, and know the brand inside out, and encourage guys to buy a used one and have no issues mechanically. Here, I am the new guys and terrified of throwing out almost 30k on a used car with maintenance nightmares. Power train on this car? No concern. ROof mechanism? Should I be concerned? Also, should I buy the Wrap warranty (does this cover the roof?) which I believe may be around 2K. THANKS SO MUCH!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:31 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

I've only had mine for a few months, but the roof has been solid. Since the sample size (owners of convertibles with or without roof issues) is so small, it's tough to really tell how often it happens and what % of failure you should expect.
I based my decision off the general nissan / infiniti reliability and got the 'dealer network' warranty in case something does go wrong. It was extra, but gives me a piece of mind and will pay for itself if I have to fix the roof even once within the next few years.

I think that's a good deal for the car you mentioned and it's probably a great time to buy a convertible - people are total chickens about putting the roof down when it's cold out. I'm good till about 45F.. below that is questionable. haha
Old 02-06-2017, 01:14 AM
74pantera

Originally Posted by OCMD
Thanks for the advice, Kiseliok. I lost out on the deals about above. Here is the current. 2013 Sport model, 16000 miles, dealer asking 28,500. I am going to offer 27,500. Decent deal? And again I ask, should I be concerned about the roof mechanism on this vehicle? Or are they pretty decent mechanically? You know how it is with newbies. I am a major contributor on the Yamaha Jet Boat forum, and know the brand inside out, and encourage guys to buy a used one and have no issues mechanically. Here, I am the new guys and terrified of throwing out almost 30k on a used car with maintenance nightmares. Power train on this car? No concern. ROof mechanism? Should I be concerned? Also, should I buy the Wrap warranty (does this cover the roof?) which I believe may be around 2K. THANKS SO MUCH!
I just went through the G37S conv gambit.........spend 5 months trying to find "the" car, drove 17 cars, 13 of them conv. I drove models from 2009-2013. I can tell you one thing, the low mileage S conv's sell quickly and command top dollar. As to water, we have recently had several big *** storms and not a single drop inside my car or trunk for that matter. Of the conv's I kissed, only one had a little water stain in the headliner near the passenger door.

Personally, I don't think there's a better bang for the buck out there then our G37's.

My neighbor has a 2010 sedan, 189K and still purrs like a kitten.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:55 PM
OCMD

Well I flew up to Long Island and picked it up Sunday. Got it home around 9 pm and it just turned 15,000 miles. Have to say I love it. Looks great; is in great condition, and has a wrap until August 31, 2021. $5 degrees tonight and I was out testing it out with the top down. Too bad there is so much tech to lesrn on this thing....remember I'm used to driving a 2002 Silverado. Gotta love the bluetooth; the Sirius radio; the power, the look. Thanks for the help and the push, gentlemen.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:57 PM
OCMD

Forgot to add the pics....
Old 02-22-2017, 11:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Awesome find! Congrats on making your membership here "official", looks very clean too.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:47 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Looks great! Have fun.