Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Brake fluid and bad service

Old 10-08-2015, 07:16 PM
X_THOR
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake fluid and bad service

Hi there, my name is Chris and I have a new 2013 G37x Coupe baby called Thor - I know, very original

Anyway I noticed after few days that on strong acceleration my brake light would go off as well as the traction control one (found reference here that it can be caused by low brake fluid). Brought it to a dealership for checking. Sadly the representative I ended with was very unpleasant to put it mildly.

Anyway, he told me first it was my brake fluid level, then after inspection, told me that because brake pads were worn, that it would cost $800 to replace the front and back pads with rotor resurfacing. But when I declined to have the pads done at their location, he told me he never said it was brake fluid, and that he could not top the brake fluid anyway if I was not changing the brake pads. That sounded very odd to me, so I am curious to have the input of anyone who knows more about brake fluid and the brake system.

I will of course bring the car to another location to have the pads and rotors checked. The car has only 12k, but I have no idea how the previous owner drove it.

Needless to say finding a dealership/service shop I can trust is going to be my next challenge.

Chris & Thor
Old 10-08-2015, 07:48 PM
MH2013
Premier Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Same year X coupe as me. Congrats on the new ride. I have had mine for 6 mo now and it's my first Infiniti so I am still learning about them. But my experience has been that as your brake pads wear the fluid level will go down. This is normal when your pads wear down.
It is definitely worth getting someone to check it out though if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. 12k miles seems low to have that much wear.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Post a picture of the brake reservoir with the fluid level clearly visible.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Hopefully you have another dealer nearby or at least another service manager to deal with next time. I would certainly get another opinion. Brand new rotors and pads that are better than your stock parts will cost far less than that quote.
BTW, welcome to the site, sorry to hear of such a bad experience right off the bat
Old 10-08-2015, 10:46 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by X_THOR
Hi there, my name is Chris and I have a new 2013 G37x Coupe baby called Thor - I know, very original

Anyway I noticed after few days that on strong acceleration my brake light would go off as well as the traction control one (found reference here that it can be caused by low brake fluid). Brought it to a dealership for checking. Sadly the representative I ended with was very unpleasant to put it mildly.

Anyway, he told me first it was my brake fluid level, then after inspection, told me that because brake pads were worn, that it would cost $800 to replace the front and back pads with rotor resurfacing. But when I declined to have the pads done at their location, he told me he never said it was brake fluid, and that he could not top the brake fluid anyway if I was not changing the brake pads. That sounded very odd to me, so I am curious to have the input of anyone who knows more about brake fluid and the brake system.

I will of course bring the car to another location to have the pads and rotors checked. The car has only 12k, but I have no idea how the previous owner drove it.

Needless to say finding a dealership/service shop I can trust is going to be my next challenge.

Chris & Thor
$800 just for pads and rotor resurfacing? Wow that's way toooo much for the job. You could do it yourself or get it done at a good auto care shop for much less than that.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
dealer wanted $800 for EACH front rotor for my other car ... dont know what pads and labor were because i was laughing too hard. even he agreed and told me to do aftermarket.

bought front AND rear slotted rotors for $500, and some pads and did them myself.

if you can find someone to help if you dont feel comfortable, youll save $$$ doing it yourself.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:09 AM
X_THOR
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I will check brake fluids, and hopefully find a cheaper/better deal for brakes.

But for now Thor is in the body shop because some idiot hit (and run) my car while it was parked. Seriously !! 3 weeks after getting a new car !! ARGH !!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:10 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Damn, lets hope this story takes a turn for the better. G/L w/ the repair and hope you're back to a happy place soon.