Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Ex-Supra Guy With "New" 2012 G37s

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:55 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Ex-Supra Guy With "New" 2012 G37s

Hello everyone, as the title suggests, I've been a Supra guy and have owned one or more of them since 1989, and still have two in the stable.

Recently, I decided I needed a DD, and I've always liked the G coupes, so I was fortunate enough to find a one owner, low mileage '12 model G37s, with the 7spd A/T, Premium, Sport & Nav packages, and am really enjoying it so far.

As I was technically fairly competent with the Supras, I'd like to eventually become the same way on the G37. In the Toyota world, on their Techinfo site, the FSM's are there, along with books that were called "New Car Features". The NCF's described at a fairly technical level, all the features of a particular car, its engine, drive train, suspension, brakes, etc. Then the FSM's would fill in any missing gaps, and finally the terrific aftermarket support that the Supra had would polish things off.

I've had a look at the Infiniti Techinfo site, but can't seem to find a parallel type publication to the NCF's, and after reviewing the FSM's, I find that they're pretty good for diagnosis and fixing stuff, but not really explaining how it works. So I've obviously missed the publications that I'm looking for.

Can anyone help steer me?
Old 08-31-2015, 01:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, congrats on your new S coupe sounds like a nice one.
As far as those NCFs, not aware of a similar publication for Nissan/Infiniti but if there's situations that you run into there's quite a bit of help here. And you can check our DIY folder for many things that may help to fill in the blanks, also TSB (technical service bulletins) might be of interest.
Glad you found us!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:47 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome, and that's too bad about the NCF equivalents, as they're an invaluable resource in the Toyota/Lexus world.

I've seen one of the popular topics has been how much upsizing of the tires the G37s can handle on its 19" wheels without rubbing? And apparently the solution is 245/40's on front with 275/35's on the rear?

This looks like it would result in a OD about 1% shorter than stock, and I understand Tire Rack have suggested going up to 285/35's on the rear? If so, that would make the front choice around a 255/40. Has anyone gone this big? FWIW, it was a fairly common combo for the Supra, back in the day, with its stock 17" wheels, which were 8" and 9.5" widths, and it helped to stabilise the Supra and mitigate some of its plowing tendencies.

But wouldn't 285's on the G37's 9" rears be pushing it a bit?
Old 08-31-2015, 04:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by cribbj
Thanks for the welcome, and that's too bad about the NCF equivalents, as they're an invaluable resource in the Toyota/Lexus world.

I've seen one of the popular topics has been how much upsizing of the tires the G37s can handle on its 19" wheels without rubbing? And apparently the solution is 245/40's on front with 275/35's on the rear?

This looks like it would result in a OD about 1% shorter than stock, and I understand Tire Rack have suggested going up to 285/35's on the rear? If so, that would make the front choice around a 255/40. Has anyone gone this big? FWIW, it was a fairly common combo for the Supra, back in the day, with its stock 17" wheels, which were 8" and 9.5" widths, and it helped to stabilise the Supra and mitigate some of its plowing tendencies.

But wouldn't 285's on the G37's 9" rears be pushing it a bit?
Even 275s on a 9" rim is a bit of a pinched mount, w/ a 285 you'll have sidewall roll under hard cornering. The 19" stagger is so minimal (a 1/2") it's almost better just to run square 245s or 255s all around.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:01 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
The 19" stagger is so minimal (a 1/2") it's almost better just to run square 245s or 255s all around.
Or upgrade the wheels too? Perhaps 9" on front and 10" on rear?

I had 10" wide HRE's on the front of the Supra and 11.5" on the rear, and it made a world of difference on the leaning of the car during turn-in. They and the much wider tires did negatively affect its tendency to tramline, however.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by cribbj
Or upgrade the wheels too? Perhaps 9" on front and 10" on rear?

I had 10" wide HRE's on the front of the Supra and 11.5" on the rear, and it made a world of difference on the leaning of the car during turn-in. They and the much wider tires did negatively affect its tendency to tramline, however.
IMO if you want to run a staggered that's a better plan. I run a 8.5/10" and run 245s front and was on 295s in back but had a tire mishap and could only locate 285s in short order so I'm now running 285s in back. Not much trouble w/ tramlining w/ that setup but running something like a square 275 setup that sure could rear its ugly head.
If you want a hand w/ wheel tire setups/combos shoot me a private message and we can go over some sets.
Also post a couple pics of your Supras if you don't mind, sounds like some nice rides you've been rolling.
Brad
Old 08-31-2015, 08:35 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Brad, here's a few pics of the Supras and my redheaded Italian mistress (a '99 Ferrari 550 Maranello)

I owned the black Supra from '99 to '10 when I sold it to my son (in the pic) as he was going into the Air Force. The blue Supra has been with me since 2006, and the redhead since 2010. (The black car is shown with 9" & 10" Volks, and the blue is wearing the 10" and 11.5" HRE's)

My son drops the black car off to me every 2-3 years for some TLC, as he's not mechanically inclined, and it's back with me now to sort out a multitude of mechanical/electrical/cosmetic issues.

The blue one developed a rod knock awhile back, so it's in storage waiting for a new motor. I have a supercharged 4.0 liter Lexus V8 that may go in it, or possibly a 6.0 liter BMW V12 that I've been fooling with for a few years.

The Ferrari has been out of commission for a couple of years. Its valve guides were worn out at 15,000 miles, so I had the heads off for rebuilding, then I discovered the leakdown in 2 cylinders was > 25%, so out came the rest of the motor. Found stuck (welded) top rings in those cylinders, and then when I pulled the liners, they all had cavitation pitting. So I'm slowly rebuilding that motor, but am also punching it out to 6.0 liters, and setting it up with ITB's and an aftermarket ECU, etc. Should be a pretty formidable hotrod when it's finished.
Attached Thumbnails Ex-Supra Guy With "New" 2012 G37s-img_3574-large-.jpg   Ex-Supra Guy With "New" 2012 G37s-img_0399-large-.jpg   Ex-Supra Guy With "New" 2012 G37s-img_0216-custom-.jpg   Ex-Supra Guy With "New" 2012 G37s-in-garage-with-supra-custom-copy.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by cribbj:
blnewt (08-31-2015), ColumbiaSkinny (08-31-2015), G37Sam (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Impressive group there, thanks for the pics!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:27 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
I want you to be my neighbour.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:07 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
There is no higher compliment for our cars than someone buying one as their dd when they already have a ferrari and supra in the stable.

Welcome and happy motoring OP.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:05 AM
cribbj
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Impressive group there, thanks for the pics!
You're welcome Brad, and thanks again for the welcome to this Forum

Originally Posted by Epiphany
I want you to be my neighbour.
I sure wish I had a few more motorheads for neighbors I've got a brain surgeon on one side, and a stock market day trader on the other. Neither one knows much about cars or working on them. Makes it tough to pull a motor. Wifey helps out once in awhile and hands me tools when I'm under the car.

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
There is no higher compliment for our cars than someone buying one as their dd when they already have a ferrari and supra in the stable.

Welcome and happy motoring OP.
Thanks for the welcome and your interesting perspective, and you're right, it really is a great compliment to these cars. A lot of people who know me were a little shocked when I bought the G37 because they know I've always been a big fan of Toyota, and especially the Supra, however Toyota/Lexus periodically seem to lose their way and their identity. Styling has been one of their major problems since the turn of the century, and they've been turning out some really unattractive cars, and because of that, I wouldn't own one any newer than a 2000 model.

There seem to be some glimmers of change there with their recent partnerships with Subaru and BMW, but I'm sure their corporate bean counters will soon crush those initiatives and get them back to building their mainstream grocery getters.

Nissan/Infiniti on the other hand just seem to be getting better and better, both on the engineering/innovation side and on the styling side, and that's why I'm in one instead of a Lexus.

Here's my perspective on how I decide to buy a car. First of all, it has to be beautiful, then it has to have the right technology. Last, there needs to be an element of exclusivity, and I don't mean this to sound negative or snobbish, but the other day I saw 3 white BMW's and 2 black Merc's at the same stoplight...... It can have "issues" or not be the most reliable thing on four wheels, particularly if it's not going to be a DD.

The Ferrari, Supras, and the G37 ticked all the boxes for me. Plus the G37 is quiet, refined, comfortable, and seems to be a very reliable model.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Beautiful stable you got there, welcome aboard.

I'd love to hear that 550 (or 600? ) once you're done with her, V12 + ITB's = Eargasm!! What aftermarket ECU will you be running? Will you be deleting the variable length intake manifold?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 AM
cribbj
Registered Member

Thanks Sam, I didn't want to say too much about the Ferrari on a G37 forum, but I do have loads of pics and info about the rebuild, etc. I could share with your permission, and if folks are interested?

I haven't settled on the ECU(s) just yet, but the AEM Infinity series is high on the list. The Infinity is actually based on EngineLab's unit, which stacks up very well spec-wise against some other very high end ECU's. My preference is to do the engine management from a single box if possible, however the Ferrari way is to run all their engines from 2-3 ECU's; one for each bank, and they're linked via CAN. They can do this due to the flat crank design and firing order of their V8's, and the inherent L-R-L-R..... firing pattern on their V12's. So the V8's are basically 2 x I4 engines, sharing a common crank, and the V12's are 2 x I6's sharing a crank. In fact, these are the default "limp" modes when something goes wrong on a bank.

Sounds like you're familiar with Ferraris if you know about the variable length intake on this car? And yes, it's going by the wayside and will be replaced by a cut down intake manifold from a 456. I really like the crossram configuration for ITB's and the 456 manifold was the perfect candidate for this. I've lopped off the two side plenums and am having the 12 runners extended, and initially will have 12 Hayabusa (42mm) TB's mounted via pipe clamps for the engine breakin on the dyno. Once the engine is broken in, and I'm happy with the concept, the Hayabusa TB's will be retired, and I'll put a set of Jenvey's on for the in-car installation. The Jenvey's are just a bit too expensive to run as a "science experiment", and I already had the 'Busas from my science experiments with the beemer motor.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

There's a subforum called "Other Cars" and it would be a treat to see what you've been up to regarding that Ferrari and the Supras.
Other Cars - MyG37
Old 09-01-2015, 05:30 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Thanks Brad, I'll write something up and post some pics. They may be rather disappointing, as I'd had Ferrari up on a pedestal for many years, but after getting into the engine, it was sort of a Wizard of Oz moment, because the reality was quite different than the perception.