Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New G37x Sedan owner. Excited, and with a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 05:03 PM
drewfinity

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
New G37x Sedan owner. Excited, and with a few questions...

Hey! Excited new owner of a 2010 G37x sedan. (Auto) I love the car, got it with 52k miles, a year of warranty left, cream/wheat interior with wood trim. It was $19k before the trade, so I feel I got a good deal

Previous cars were Jag X-type, Mazda6, Jeep Wrangler, and a few others. I've done much of my own work on all of them, nothing major - just turning a wrench when needed to fix brakes, axles, etc.

Everything is stock right now on the beauty, but I know I'll need tires pretty darn soon. I have the original tires on them, and while they've got tread left I'm not comfortable having such old tires. Continentals DWS seem to be the favorite, but what size can I get away with on the stock 17s? 235? 245? I like a bit wider tire - if only to reduce the likelyhood of my wife destroying the rims when parking. Want All-Season, I live in MinneSnowta.

Other future mods will probably be sways, a roof spoiler (anyone got a line on a good quality/price for black?). Small things to differentiate my car and make it a bit more sexy. Suggestions on that front are always welcome.

I'm happy to be here. Looking forward to learning more.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:31 PM
infamouslkv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
235 can work but 245 is bulky. I live in MN as well. Check out Andy Rushing headlight work. First 2 things I'd do is get rotors and brake pads. Oem is horrible.
The following users liked this post:
drewfinity (08-11-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 05:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site. sounds like you got a nice deal. 235s would be about as wide as you should run on the OEM 7.5" width wheels. Might consider running 18s in a 18x8.5 and run 245/45/18s all around if you want to change the look a bit. Prices for 18s are about the same for tires FWIW.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:23 PM
drewfinity

I'm not sure I want to consider going up to 18s unless I can find the rims cheap. Plus I'd be concerned about A. Ride quality - This ain't a lexus, but I don't want a Jeep and B. Minneapolis pot-holes costing me money.

Is there a significant difference in ride quality?

PS: Thanks for the welcome! That light mod looks pretty slick.

Last edited by drewfinity; 08-09-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:09 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
18's are still pretty comfortable and will definitely enhance the look.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

17s to 18s isn't a dramatic change as long as you keep the rest of your suspension stock. A little less sidewall combined w/ stiffer lowering springs or coilovers would be much more noticeable. Having a wider tire on a wider rim will give you a more planted feel, better on the corners and is a better match for your 300+ HP. I think you'd be pretty happy w/ the
overall setup, and 18s look a bit better in the wheel wells.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Get a set of dedicated winters to put on your OEM rims, then pick up a nice set of 18" wheels with some aggressive summer rubber. Best of both worlds and both tires will last a lot longer.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:24 PM
drewfinity

Originally Posted by blnewt
17s to 18s isn't a dramatic change as long as you keep the rest of your suspension stock. A little less sidewall combined w/ stiffer lowering springs or coilovers would be much more noticeable. Having a wider tire on a wider rim will give you a more planted feel, better on the corners and is a better match for your 300+ HP. I think you'd be pretty happy w/ the
overall setup, and 18s look a bit better in the wheel wells.
I'll entertain suggestions for value options on 18s in a square setup. But short-term I'm more inclined to just spend the $600 on a new set of continentals. Funds may be more free next summer, I have a wife spending my money too

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Get a set of dedicated winters to put on your OEM rims, then pick up a nice set of 18" wheels with some aggressive summer rubber. Best of both worlds and both tires will last a lot longer.
If I had storage to put them, for sure. But a stack of tires is something I def don't have space for atm.

As for brakes, any suggestions on rotors/pads to help out the stock setup?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by drewfinity
I'll entertain suggestions for value options on 18s in a square setup. But short-term I'm more inclined to just spend the $600 on a new set of continentals. Funds may be more free next summer, I have a wife spending my money too

If I had storage to put them, for sure. But a stack of tires is something I def don't have space for atm.

As for brakes, any suggestions on rotors/pads to help out the stock setup?
Check rockauto.com
Centric Premium rotors & Stoptech Street pads work well or for less dust (and less bite) Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic pads.
The following users liked this post:
drewfinity (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 PM
drewfinity

One of the things I hate/love the most when getting a different car is reading all the forums and wanting EVERYTHING

Going back to tires, if I could find a set of 18s (that I liked) for a good price I'd consider them, but I've also found out that I NEED a chin spoiler, OEM all-weather floormats, kinda possibly need some weathertech wind deflectors, a roof wing like Rochester's, a black grille, etc.

Sigh...
Old 08-11-2015, 08:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

One of the things I hate/love the most when getting a different car is reading all the forums and wanting EVERYTHING

Going back to tires, if I could find a set of 18s (that I liked) for a good price I'd consider them, but I've also found out that I NEED a chin spoiler, OEM all-weather floormats, kinda possibly need some weathertech wind deflectors, a roof wing like Rochester's, a black grille, etc.

Sigh...
Well that's what we're here for, to help you spend your money as wisely and quickly as possible
G/L getting all those mods prioritized and sorted out, it should turn out well in the end.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:32 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like a bit wider tire - if only to reduce the likelyhood of my wife destroying the rims when parking.
I got the same size wheels/tires as you and the rubber sticks out pretty far from the rim lip. I think you'd have to curb the wheel pretty hard to rash the rim with these tall and fat sidewalls.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 PM
drewfinity

Originally Posted by slowbird
I got the same size wheels/tires as you and the rubber sticks out pretty far from the rim lip. I think you'd have to curb the wheel pretty hard to rash the rim with these tall and fat sidewalls.
You don't know my wife...
Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't know my wife...
LOL!

Fair enough.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:06 AM
drewfinity

blnewt: Is there a particular size/offset for 18s that I should shoot for so that I can upgrade the brakes in the future? Bolting on the sport brakes seems like the cheapest/best option....

Quick Reply: New G37x Sedan owner. Excited, and with a few questions...