Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New to the G family.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:32 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
New to the G family.

Ok, Here's my first official post. We won't count the response in the Sedan thread.

07 G35S Sedan Blue Slate. I waited and watched and waited and watched and finally found the right car at the right price. Car is just a baby with 116k miles. All stock. Nothing photo worthy, yet. A couple dents, door dings, and bird stains, but it looks good otherwise. Normal for this mileage and age I'd say. Interior looks great. A couple areas of fading from the cheap interior, but nowhere as close to the leprosy I expected after seeing the flaking on some of the lower mileage vehicles in the forums. Thank goodness.

Plans? Where do I begin? It's a little overwhelming right now. Balancing the mods over time will be the greatest challenge. I belonged and contributed to the Org for several years. I know the Nissan family pretty well. It's difficult to not jump at purchasing every item I want right now.

My biggest dilemma right now is the suspension. It isn't horrible, but I can feel the high miles on the stock suspension. After perusing the forums for hours and speaking with a couple friends with Zs and Gs, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on new OEM suspension replacement with Swift Springs and Hotchkis sways. I know that will get me up to $1500 which is coilover range, but I want a suspension that works for DD and occasional autox. Function over form. Slammed isn't my thing, and the Swifts appear to give a conservative drop with good handling characteristics.

Feel free to throw your opinions my way. I'll be asking a lot of questions for the next few weeks... probably the next few months. I will always research a bit first. There is a lot of contradictory information on these forums. So, please be patient with me. (That means you can hold on to your spoon-feeding baby for awhile, Rochester. ) Look forward to conversing with everyone.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Welcome to the site. Sounds like your going to be modding for some time. I'm interested to see how far you go with a 116K mileage car. Good interested not judgmentally interested.

Glad you joined the family!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:16 PM
nelledge
n00b

Originally Posted by Redfire32
Welcome to the site. Sounds like your going to be modding for some time. I'm interested to see how far you go with a 116K mileage car. Good interested not judgmentally interested.

Glad you joined the family!
Well, I'm hoping the Nissan engineering crosses over to the Infiniti.

Had an S13 that saw biweekly autox's and 3 or 4 road courses a year. It had 140k miles before I sold it. Drove like new.
3rd gen Max with 180k going strong when I sold it.
4th gen Max with 170k with a few autox's and going strong when I sold it.
5th gen Max with 160k with several autox's and going strong when I sold it last week.
All these were manual transmission with light perfomance mods e.g. lowered, poly engine and suspension mounts, intake and spacers and tbody spacers, exhaust, cat delete, etc.

Let's hope the G can hold up the same. If not, I'll move over to TT E90. Might as well have a faster platform to work with if I'm going to have an unreliable car. 8^)

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, I'm sure your G is just getting broken in at 116k
I'd consider Tein Basis coilovers, good choice for a mild coilover drop, these aren't meant to be slammed coilovers.
Here's some info and you'll have money in the bank since they're only a bit over $600, you do have to use your OEM top strut hats but that's not a bad thing as those pillowball mounts on many coilovers are a source for noise issues.
TEIN Street Basis Coilover Kit; OEM Front Upper Mount; OEM Rear Upper Mount; Not EDFC Compatable INFINITI G35
And specific info
TEIN.com: STREET BASIS - PRODUCTS
And best drop range in green
TEIN USA | COILOVER KIT & SPRING KIT SEARCH ?INFINITI?G35 SEDAN?2007-2008?STREET BASIS
Old 07-06-2015, 03:13 PM
nelledge
n00b

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site, I'm sure your G is just getting broken in at 116k
I'd consider Tein Basis coilovers, good choice for a mild coilover drop, these aren't meant to be slammed coilovers...
Thank you for the info, sir. I'm just not familiar with the Teins on this vehicle. I've read some ugly comments about their damper life span on other forums. I really don't want to change/overhaul the suspension for at least 30k miles. I'll do some more research on here for this specific CO.

Originally Posted by blnewt
...Here's some info and you'll have money in the bank since they're only a bit over $600, you do have to use your OEM top strut hats but that's not a bad thing as those pillowball mounts on many coilovers are a source for noise issues.
[Tein info]
Still need to purchase OEM top hats and hardware. Only saves me a couple hundred all together. Hm. I'll investigate.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by nelledge
Well, I'm hoping the Nissan engineering crosses over to the Infiniti.

Had an S13 that saw biweekly autox's and 3 or 4 road courses a year. It had 140k miles before I sold it. Drove like new.
3rd gen Max with 180k going strong when I sold it.
4th gen Max with 170k with a few autox's and going strong when I sold it.
5th gen Max with 160k with several autox's and going strong when I sold it last week.
All these were manual transmission with light perfomance mods e.g. lowered, poly engine and suspension mounts, intake and spacers and tbody spacers, exhaust, cat delete, etc.

Let's hope the G can hold up the same. If not, I'll move over to TT E90. Might as well have a faster platform to work with if I'm going to have an unreliable car. 8^)

Thanks for the welcome!
I think you'll be happy with the durabitu of these cars. Sounds like your well versed in mileage and autocross. So you should be fine.

Where are you located? I'm extremely interested in getting into some autocross in the near future. I still have a few mods to make the car lower and improve handling. I also have to get an Ecuteck tube and I'm pretty sure she'll be flying as fast as I can make her without going FI. You seem pretty knowledgable I think you'll make a great addition to this site. Once again welcome Sir.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by nelledge
Thank you for the info, sir. I'm just not familiar with the Teins on this vehicle. I've read some ugly comments about their damper life span on other forums. I really don't want to change/overhaul the suspension for at least 30k miles. I'll do some more research on here for this specific CO.

Still need to purchase OEM top hats and hardware. Only saves me a couple hundred all together. Hm. I'll investigate.
You should be able to use the OEM hats from your current front struts unless something really bad happened along the way
Tein makes a pretty good overall product, at least compared to most of the Korean based suspension products. The Basis hasn't been out long as it's an evolution of the Basic coilover that it's replaced.
I wish we had more reviews but they're just now getting more common.
G/L w/ whatever you end up going with