Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

How bad is this rear end collision?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Kaila

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad is this rear end collision?

Hello newbie here. I have a friend that has a dealership and well he advised me on a few G35/G37's that are in an insurance auction since he knows I am interested in getting an used G3x. Now I have always tried to stay away from salvaged cars fearing they were totaled, but after looking at some of these cars and seeing how "minor" some of these accidents are (when rear ended) I am kind of wanting to get a damaged car and fix it, but I feel that before I do it'd be smart to ask owners of G37's what are your thoughts on this rear end collision. How much would you guess it would take to fix it? My friend told me to expect this car to be auctioned between 5,000-6,500 as is and it's a 2010 with 56k miles. The car runs and drives and from the pics it seems like only the bumper would just need to be replaced. I have two mechanics by trade in my family and my father has done some painting for one of his close friends who owns a body shop, so I am hoping to keep the cost lower by taking advantage of this. Any advice would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance and sorry if this in the wrong section.

How bad is this rear end collision?-wqa8ykt.jpg
How bad is this rear end collision?-uxfuecu.png
How bad is this rear end collision?-fggm7tq.png
How bad is this rear end collision?-s1uy5hg.png
How bad is this rear end collision?-2ypovfp.png
Old 02-28-2015, 11:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome. My your dealership friend, father,mane mechanics in the family will know more than random internet strangers on the Internet looking at a few photos of cars they've necer examined.

If you really want to take on the problems of buying a slavage title car, go for it. Can you register a salvage title car in your state? Do you know what the insurance adjuster said was wrong with it to consider it a total loss? Are you financially able to take on unexpected repairs to fix the car?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Kaila

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Welcome. My your dealership friend, father,mane mechanics in the family will know more than random internet strangers on the Internet looking at a few photos of cars they've necer examined.

If you really want to take on the problems of buying a slavage title car, go for it. Can you register a salvage title car in your state? Do you know what the insurance adjuster said was wrong with it to consider it a total loss? Are you financially able to take on unexpected repairs to fix the car?
Thanks for the reply.

You right about asking my family/friend, but I just feel more comfortable to also get another opinion from actual G37 owners. I am guessing some at some point have to fix some damage like that done to their car before.

Yeah I'd be able to register this salvage car in my state and well I have a budget around 3,000 to fix this car.

I checked the car's carfax and it has one owner plus it has been maintained really well with routine oil changes done every 3-5k miles at a local Infiniti Dealership.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

If you pull the trigger, update the thread with details of the process and how it all goes down. It'll be interesting to read your experience chronicled to see what successes and failures you have, what goes better than expected and worse.

The auction cars I've looked at for myself seemed to cost more than I felt comfortable paying considering the cost of fixing them correctly. Car + repairs seemed to cost barely less than buying the same used car in good condition. Hopefully yours works out better. Best of luck of you go through with it.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Kaila

If you pull the trigger, update the thread with details of the process and how it all goes down. It'll be interesting to read your experience chronicled to see what successes and failures you have, what goes better than expected and worse.

The auction cars I've looked at for myself seemed to cost more than I felt comfortable paying considering the cost of fixing them correctly. Car + repairs seemed to cost barely less than buying the same used car in good condition. Hopefully yours works out better. Best of luck of you go through with it.
Thank you. I will take pics if I do end up getting the car.

Do you know where are good websites to look up for 2010 G37 bumpers and other parts? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I buy OEM parts here:
Your First Source for Factory Infiniti Parts and Accessories
Old 02-28-2015, 05:58 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
The trouble is that it's too hard to tell from just those pics whether there is any significant damage to the structure of the car. You'd need someone skilled in bodywork to double check some critical dimensions and clearances to determine if the car has suffered anything more significant (i.e. frame damage) in addition to the cosmetic damage. Even if it has, it can still be fixed; there's just more cost involved in doing it right. If it is just cosmetic, and you don't mind the salvage title, it could be a legitimate deal.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Kaila

Thanks.

Originally Posted by vqsmile
The trouble is that it's too hard to tell from just those pics whether there is any significant damage to the structure of the car. You'd need someone skilled in bodywork to double check some critical dimensions and clearances to determine if the car has suffered anything more significant (i.e. frame damage) in addition to the cosmetic damage. Even if it has, it can still be fixed; there's just more cost involved in doing it right. If it is just cosmetic, and you don't mind the salvage title, it could be a legitimate deal.

Yeah the car isn't available to see in person just yet. It was listed not long ago. I am just trying to do some prior research, but frame damage is one concern I have. I am hoping if it does have some frame damage it wouldn't cost that much to fix. I mean looking at the bumper I'd be surprise if the frame is extremely damaged (if any).
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 AM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Based on the photos, it seems like it wasn't that hard of an impact as it didn't push the rear bumper into the trunk. As stated, just have one of your family members go with you to the dealer when you can for an inspection. I think you might have found a pretty interesting deal if the frame isn't bent. Act quickly before someone else thinks the same thing. Good luck.

P.S. Google the Vin and see if anything pops up in images if they happened to do any work to make it look a tad better. Also take into consideration if it was prone to any floods on where the car is from.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:34 AM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Nice car, but no way jose will it sell for $5000 to $6500. It will sell for double that. If I had $10K to play with I'd own it.

Here is a slightly newer white G sedan, little less miles with way more damage. the PRE-BIDDING amount is over $5K and there are 2 days till auction.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...oadRecent=True

Best thing about IAAI auctions is the public can bid.
Worst thing about IAAI auctions is the public can bid.

I'd imagine Sacramento is worse, but here in the midwest, IAAI auctions have been taken over by the Mexican buyers. They buy anything and everything and ship them south of the border for repair, dismantle, and grey market export. Every Wednesday in Tulsa is a caravan of wrecked trucks following wrecked SUVs pulling wrecked cars, all headed south. They have deep pockets and anything they leave behind has no meat left on the bone. Mucho Gracious NAFTA.

If you can get this G for $11K (all IAAI fees included), you did good. It looks like a cheap and easy repair. Couple pulls to rear quarter - look at passenger tail light alignment. Trunk lid and lower trunk latch probably need replaced. Rear cover is cheap enough. Maybe a tail pipe or two. Easy $1500 repair if you play your cards right. Title/registration work is the easy part. Unibody = no frame damage.

Last edited by GAWD; 03-02-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:51 AM
TheG35Dude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ ++++++1
Old 03-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Kaila

Originally Posted by doublea88
Based on the photos, it seems like it wasn't that hard of an impact as it didn't push the rear bumper into the trunk. As stated, just have one of your family members go with you to the dealer when you can for an inspection. I think you might have found a pretty interesting deal if the frame isn't bent. Act quickly before someone else thinks the same thing. Good luck.

P.S. Google the Vin and see if anything pops up in images if they happened to do any work to make it look a tad better. Also take into consideration if it was prone to any floods on where the car is from.
I checked the Autocheck/Carfax on the car (1 owner and maintenance every 3-5k miles) and the last maintenance it had was done last December, so I'm pretty confident there's nothing really shady with this car and probably soon after it's when this car had this accident.

I agree with you on how this damage looks like an easy fix and I hope we're right.
Originally Posted by GAWD
Nice car, but no way jose will it sell for $5000 to $6500. It will sell for double that. If I had $10K to play with I'd own it.

Here is a slightly newer white G sedan, little less miles with way more damage. the PRE-BIDDING amount is over $5K and there are 2 days till auction.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...oadRecent=True

Best thing about IAAI auctions is the public can bid.
Worst thing about IAAI auctions is the public can bid.

I'd imagine Sacramento is worse, but here in the midwest, IAAI auctions have been taken over by the Mexican buyers. They buy anything and everything and ship them south of the border for repair, dismantle, and grey market export. Every Wednesday in Tulsa is a caravan of wrecked trucks following wrecked SUVs pulling wrecked cars, all headed south. They have deep pockets and anything they leave behind has no meat left on the bone. Mucho Gracious NAFTA.

If you can get this G for $11K (all IAAI fees included), you did good. It looks like a cheap and easy repair. Couple pulls to rear quarter - look at passenger tail light alignment. Trunk lid and lower trunk latch probably need replaced. Rear cover is cheap enough. Maybe a tail pipe or two. Easy $1500 repair if you play your cards right. Title/registration work is the easy part. Unibody = no frame damage.
After looking at some live auctions on the east coast today I also now know that the car will go for 10k or around there, but what I did noticed is that most of these auctions over there had a lot of public bidders. That's rare here. This past auction here in Sacramento there were only like 4-5 cars out of 300+ where the public could bid. I am hoping that will help quite a bit to keep the price low.

The car I'm looking at hasn't been assigned an auction date yet, so I still got at least 2 weeks to keep on tracking some prices of other Infinitis to get an idea what to expect.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 PM
11Blueslate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There must be more to this car , looking at the visible damage in this photo it does not warrant being a total loss, I'm wondering the back story is to this car ? I'm a licensed auto damage appraiser in mass and work in a body shop for what it's worth .
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM
11Blueslate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also I'm wondering if it's a flood car , looking at the pics it's the only one with all the windows open in the parking lot .might just be a coincidence but you never know . I have seen cars with flood damage get body damage while in the flood from objects hitting it ect. Just something to think about .
Old 03-04-2015, 05:39 PM
awilso4

There is a high chance this car has frame damage based on the pictures and the fact that the car was totaled. I buy cars for a living at auto auctions and I do appraisals. Even if this car has frame damage it will still sell for more than 5-6k. Check the C pillar of the vehicle behind the weather stripping and also check under the rear of the car looking specifically at the floor pan. Then pull the mat in the trunk where the spare is and look for any welding. Also pull weather stripping in the trunk seam and look there for non factory welds.