Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Which Sways would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:09 PM
R3diK3r0u5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitter

200% is 3x
Try again.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:58 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by steven92
Question,

When you replace sway bars do you have to replace the end links as well?
You don't have to, but I would at least replace the fronts if you are going to do a track day. Mine bit the dust after the first track day.

Originally Posted by xmajd92
Have any of u tested out the different settings on the track?
Yes. On a very tight technical track, the car was still under steering at the limit so I firmed up the rear bar one notch and it was good the rest of the day.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:20 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by R3diK3r0u5
Try again.
A 200% increase is 3x the original value.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Do I really need adjustability on the fronts? If so then I'll probably get the eibachs.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
You probably won't adjust them more than once in the entire lifetime of the car but in my opinion it's good to have some adjustability. I have the eibachs and front was always at softest setting. Rears I tried the middle and the hardest setting and finally settled for the mid.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:07 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Presto
You probably won't adjust them more than once in the entire lifetime of the car but in my opinion it's good to have some adjustability. I have the eibachs and front was always at softest setting. Rears I tried the middle and the hardest setting and finally settled for the mid.
Did u ever get that squeaking on the bushing?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:20 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Just grease it and should be noise free. Soft setting in rear should promote oversteer and hard setting for understeer iifc.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:39 PM
mhadford
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had upgraded sways on several different cars, including Progress Bars on my SC Maxima. After 1 year of use, I still love my Hotchkis bars. No squeak, no problems, very dramatic handling upgrade.

As for the "rate", think about what a sway bar does - if one side of the suspension is compressed and the other isn't, the sway bar forces the opposing spring on the same axle to compress, minus the flex in the sway bar. If the sway bar has no flex, you end up with an effective doubling of the suspension spring rate. You can't end up with a tripling or quadrupling... If both sides of the suspension are compressed (as on a speed bump) the sway does nothing. Just rotates in the bushings.

Without knowing the exact geometry of all parts of the suspension, the flex rate of the bar tells you nothing about what your actual experience will be; and even then it will depend on your spring rate.

I would always advise doing a the sway bar upgrade first, before any other suspension mods. You may find that, with an upgraded sway, you don't want stiffer springs.

As for end links, if your Infinissan end links have not failed yet, they soon will. They are a very light duty metal ball in 'permanently lubricated" plastic socket design. When they fail, you get very weird handling and loud clunks. Best to change them out when replacing the sways.

No need to buy expensive adjustable aircraft grade super duper end links. The Moog Problem Solver end links from Rockauto work fine.
The following users liked this post:
Presto (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:45 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mhadford
I have had upgraded sways on several different cars, including Progress Bars on my SC Maxima. After 1 year of use, I still love my Hotchkis bars. No squeak, no problems, very dramatic handling upgrade.

As for the "rate", think about what a sway bar does - if one side of the suspension is compressed and the other isn't, the sway bar forces the opposing spring on the same axle to compress, minus the flex in the sway bar. If the sway bar has no flex, you end up with an effective doubling of the suspension spring rate. You can't end up with a tripling or quadrupling... If both sides of the suspension are compressed (as on a speed bump) the sway does nothing. Just rotates in the bushings.

Without knowing the exact geometry of all parts of the suspension, the flex rate of the bar tells you nothing about what your actual experience will be; and even then it will depend on your spring rate.

I would always advise doing a the sway bar upgrade first, before any other suspension mods. You may find that, with an upgraded sway, you don't want stiffer springs.

As for end links, if your Infinissan end links have not failed yet, they soon will. They are a very light duty metal ball in 'permanently lubricated" plastic socket design. When they fail, you get very weird handling and loud clunks. Best to change them out when replacing the sways.

No need to buy expensive adjustable aircraft grade super duper end links. The Wagner Problem Solver end links from Rockauto work fine.
Thinking about the hotchkis since they come with endlinks. As for suspension mods I already have coilovers. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by xmajd92
Thinking about the hotchkis since they come with endlinks. As for suspension mods I already have coilovers. Thanks for your input!
No. No sway bars come with end links. The Hotchkis include mounting brackets, bushings, and grease fittings. End links sold separately.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts

No need to buy expensive adjustable aircraft grade super duper end links. The Moog Problem Solver end links from Rockauto work fine.
^^^^^ Post of the thread ^^^^^. With the knowledge and understanding you have, you should be ashamed to only have 4 posts.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:28 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
It depends what you want to accomplish - if you want to maximise grip, then a set of adjustable suspension would likely be something you'd want to get first. Steady state cornering as well as transitional would improve depending on how you set it up as well as being able to more greatly fine tune how your car drives.

Sways bars, as you stated before, transmit forces from one side to the other, resulting in a flatter ride and the slight performance increases resulting from it. But it can't change how the suspension compresses and rebounds to the extent that a good set of coilovers can.

Anyways, one step at a time, right? I think (anti)sway bars will likely be my next mod.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:02 PM
mhadford
Premier Member

Originally Posted by bPChaos
It depends what you want to accomplish - if you want to maximise grip, then a set of adjustable suspension would likely be something you'd want to get first. Steady state cornering as well as transitional would improve depending on how you set it up as well as being able to more greatly fine tune how your car drives.

Sways bars, as you stated before, transmit forces from one side to the other, resulting in a flatter ride and the slight performance increases resulting from it. But it can't change how the suspension compresses and rebounds to the extent that a good set of coilovers can.

Anyways, one step at a time, right? I think (anti)sway bars will likely be my next mod.
Each suspension upgrade has it's own purpose. On my G I have sways, BC racing (semi) coilovers, Swift springs, and the full Kintetix camber and toe kit.

My point was, an upgraded sway bar has the effect of stiffening the suspension without any other mods. If a person puts coilovers with stiffer springs THEN upgrades the sways, they may end up hating the ride, and have to shell out for another, softer set of springs.

I personally prefer the "European" style suspension set up of a moderate drop, softish springs, stiff sways and stiff dampers.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:03 PM
mhadford
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
^^^^^ Post of the thread ^^^^^. With the knowledge and understanding you have, you should be ashamed to only have 4 posts.
But I have a few thousand on Maxima.org....
Old 01-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I've had Eibach sways on my sedan four years now, with the original OEM end-links, and I'm lowered. The car is at my mechanic's shop at least twice a year for various mod installs, and he goes over everything in detail each time. The end-links are still good, as of my last visit.

My recommendation is to stick with your OEM end-links until it becomes a problem, and deal with it then.

As for the sways... I bought them here on the forum from a friend who was parting out his mods. But after five years of hanging out here, it sure does seem like Hotchkis is the preferred swaybar, with Eibach just behind it.

I've been eyballing SPL and SPC end-links for years, and have finally come to the opinion that they're overkill. Moog end-links are absolutely fine. I had them on my 5.5 gen Maxima (along with Moog tie-rod ends and ball-joints). That car was tight.

But I have a few thousand on Maxima.org....
Me too, LOL. Means absolutely nothing.

Great post, btw, mhadford.