Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Beginner track stars question for you.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:19 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Beginner track stars question for you.

So since there are different levels for drivers when it comes to road course driving, is it necessary or just recommended to install oil coolers for your G as a beginner?

I'm sure that if you're a seasoned road course driver you will definitely push your G to its limits, which would then require an oil cooler to keep going all day.

Last edited by xmajd92; 12-16-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I wouldn't think you need to right off the bat unless you will be doing multiple long runs (35 min+) in very hot conditions (90+ degrees) repeatedly for most of the day.

Doing shorter runs with recovery time in between I never had any real oil temp issues during Texas summers.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:31 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I wouldn't think you need to right off the bat unless you will be doing multiple long runs (35 min+) in very hot conditions (90+ degrees) repeatedly for most of the day.

Doing shorter runs with recovery time in between I never had any real oil temp issues during Texas summers.
Ok cool. I'm in Pearland so MSR in Angleton will be my future go to track once I start. When I went to watch a few friends do their first event at MSR I noticed their sessions would last maybe about 20 minutes and then short breaks while other groups do their runs. So I'll take your word for it. Hopefully I see you sometime.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I've been there way back a long time ago. It's a fun track, you'll have a good time. It's too expensive IMO, but it is well run and well maintained.

Have fun, and be safe.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:47 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I've been there way back a long time ago. It's a fun track, you'll have a good time. It's too expensive IMO, but it is well run and well maintained.

Have fun, and be safe.
Yea it is a bit pricey, but there are times when some members from Houston Z, which also happen to be instructors, host track events at MSR and lower the price per person.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong, but black Betty are you saying the car is track capable in stock form without heating issues? Reason I ask, I too am wanting to track but I'm getting discouraged finding out you need to cool every thing on this car, plus sways and coils.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:29 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
So correct me if I'm wrong, but black Betty are you saying the car is track capable in stock form without heating issues? Reason I ask, I too am wanting to track but I'm getting discouraged finding out you need to cool every thing on this car, plus sways and coils.
As a beginner people are saying we won't be pushing your car to its limit as we are still learning to track. So it's not necessary. But won't hurt.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:12 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's possible to have overheat issues, but not likely unkess you're doing a lot of laps nonstop which isn't what you'll do at most track events.

As far as suspension mods, of course good ones can help you turn faster laps than if you don't have any, but again they aren't a necessity to have fun on the track.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Oil cooler(s) if you plan on continual racing. Also, if you haven't already, flush your brake fluid for something better than OEM.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:17 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
tires...
Old 03-03-2017, 05:10 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Depends on ambient temperature and length of your sessions, too. Anything in the 20-25min range should be fine.

I did a track day at Laguna Seca with only one mod - brake pads. Literally everything else, including tires and brake fluid, was stock. That being said, it was brutally cold.