Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Anyone have power steering fluid leak out the top on track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Anyone have power steering fluid leak out the top on track?

I was driving around today and heard some clunking from the front end so I jacked up the car and saw a decent amount of what I thought was oil from the oil cooler I just installed. Good news is it was not oil and the cooler seems to be working well. Did a little more digging and realized my power steering fluid leaked out of the cap at my last track day and dropped from the max cold mark to the min cold mark.

Anyone else have this issue and is there a simple solution? There is a little rubber washer between the outside of the bottle and the inside of the cap, but it seems in good condition and the car is barely 3 years old and 21k miles.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:14 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
1991-1994 Sentra SE-R's had this problem. Switching to a 1995+ cap fixed it. Maybe the Z cap seals better? I haven't check the Z sites for this issue.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:37 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

The Z guys have blazed your trail.

Power steering fluid boil? - Nissan 370Z Forum

Two immediate solutions:
1) add a power steering fluid cooler
2) run with reduced level when on the track

A third option mentioned is rather low brow -- wrap a rag around the top and zip-tie to the reservoir. Doesn't solve the problem at all, only reduces the mess.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:43 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Really hope for your sake it's not your power steering rack and pinion bc it happened to me a couple months back and sets you back a pretty penny
Old 04-18-2016, 01:13 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
My power steering fluid drops to the cold low level easily after a track day. I closely monitor the fluid levels in between sessions. Need to get a bigger oil cooler soon.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I did not realize it was boiling over, but that makes sense as the track I was at is very technical with lots of turns. I might need to upgrade to a different power steering cooler. I just hope I can find room for it as I now have oil lines going right in front of it since I had to reposition the oil cooler to the driver's side.

I don't have terribly wide tires up front (245's), but they are pretty sticky (RE-71R)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:21 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
The power steering fluid over heats due to constant high RPM. The faster the pump turns, the more head it puts into the fluid. The power steering pump turns slightly faster than crankshaft speed.

The number of turns in a road or the width/stick of the tires has minimal effect on the fluid temp.

A better/additional cooler and fresh fluid will help.

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2016, 01:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
The power steering fluid over heats due to constant high RPM. The faster the pump turns, the more head it puts into the fluid. The power steering pump turns slightly faster than crankshaft speed.

The number of turns in a road or the width/stick of the tires has minimal effect on the fluid temp.

A better/additional cooler and fresh fluid will help.
Hmmm... It had brand new power steering fluid so that was not the issue. So if I just sat there with the engine revved it would boil the power steering fluid? If that were so, then the issue is not heat, but the pump putting "more head into the fluid" from pumping faster at high rpms?
Old 06-14-2016, 01:20 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
I would check the lines for any kind of blockage too...could be backed up with gunk.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
I would check the lines for any kind of blockage too...could be backed up with gunk.
Most of them got replaced for the relocation kit I did when I installed the oil cooler, but I will definitely check that out too if I install a power steering cooler. The only issue is where to mount it as Stillen makes both coolers, but it looks like you install them in the same place like they were not designed to work together.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:56 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Reverse the bracket and try the other side of the rad?
If not, wouldn't be hard to fab a bracket to fit the holes.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:37 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Hmmm... So if I just sat there with the engine revved it would boil the power steering fluid? If that were so, then the issue is not heat, but the pump putting "more heat into the fluid" from pumping faster at high rpms?
Yes, whenever you try to compress something it heats up. Have you ever touched an air compressor tube that connects to the tank? It is HOT!

Our power steering pump does try to compress the fluid as that is how it builds the 1400+ psi of pressure before the internal relief valve bypasses the pump.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-compr...se-temperature
Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Reverse the bracket and try the other side of the rad?
If not, wouldn't be hard to fab a bracket to fit the holes.
The issue is the brackets are pretty thick so you cannot just reverse it and attach them to the same spot. They would stick out into the core support for the bumper.

The other issue on our cars is that the oil cooler has to be mounted on the driver's side and the oil lines are very tightly drawn right over where the power steering cooler would mount. I know there is a solution, I just have yet to figure it out.

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Yes, whenever you try to compress something it heats up. Have you ever touched an air compressor tube that connects to the tank? It is HOT!

Our power steering pump does try to compress the fluid as that is how it builds the 1400+ psi of pressure before the internal relief valve bypasses the pump.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-compr...se-temperature
Damn. I was really hoping you were going to tell me that I don't need a power steering cooler...
Old 06-17-2016, 09:11 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Here is some interesting info on the cause of overheating power steering with the engine at high RPM:

Pump Chart From Turn One's Jeff Roethlisberger:
This graph represents pump flow (y axis) vs. pump rpm (x axis) of a stock production pump and a Turn One pump. Analyzing the solid line graph of the stock pump at approximately 900 rpm, the pump achieves flow control mode, which means the pump will deliver one constant flow to the steering box/rack at any rpm above 900.

The 2.6-gpm flow control value is used here as an example. Depending on application, the actual flow control may vary.

Following the dashed line of the stock pump at 5,000 rpm, the pump delivery is 15 gpm. This is the total volume at 5,000 rpm, with 2.6 gpm being delivered to the box/rack. The other 12.4 gpm is being recirculated internal of the pump. This excess flow is what creates high fluid temperatures and robs horsepower.

Analyzing the Turn One pump graph, it achieves 2.6-gpm flow control at 1,300 rpm. At 5,000 rpm, it's pumping a total of 10 gpm, recirculating only 7.4 gpm.

That's 5 gpm less, resulting in lower fluid temperatures and less parasitic horsepower consumption. You may ask why the production pump is designed this way. The reason is to have more than adequate flow at low engine rpm. So, due to production variation, higher-than-average steering effort wouldn't be experienced during low-speed maneuvers.

Great power steering FAQ here: Turn One
Old 06-17-2016, 12:17 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Nice. Underdrive pulley would help, too, it one exists.

Quick Reply: Anyone have power steering fluid leak out the top on track?