Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Anyone have power steering fluid leak out the top on track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:39 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
^^^ Great idea...
Ideally a larger power steering pump pulley would be ideal. No change to alternator or A/C compressor speed, just a slower turning pump.

I wonder what the 370z guys do to prevent boiling the fluid?
Old 06-17-2016, 01:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Here is some interesting info on the cause of overheating power steering with the engine at high RPM:

Pump Chart From Turn One's Jeff Roethlisberger:
This graph represents pump flow (y axis) vs. pump rpm (x axis) of a stock production pump and a Turn One pump. Analyzing the solid line graph of the stock pump at approximately 900 rpm, the pump achieves flow control mode, which means the pump will deliver one constant flow to the steering box/rack at any rpm above 900.

The 2.6-gpm flow control value is used here as an example. Depending on application, the actual flow control may vary.

Following the dashed line of the stock pump at 5,000 rpm, the pump delivery is 15 gpm. This is the total volume at 5,000 rpm, with 2.6 gpm being delivered to the box/rack. The other 12.4 gpm is being recirculated internal of the pump. This excess flow is what creates high fluid temperatures and robs horsepower.

Analyzing the Turn One pump graph, it achieves 2.6-gpm flow control at 1,300 rpm. At 5,000 rpm, it's pumping a total of 10 gpm, recirculating only 7.4 gpm.

That's 5 gpm less, resulting in lower fluid temperatures and less parasitic horsepower consumption. You may ask why the production pump is designed this way. The reason is to have more than adequate flow at low engine rpm. So, due to production variation, higher-than-average steering effort wouldn't be experienced during low-speed maneuvers.

Great power steering FAQ here: Turn One
My head hurts from reading this, but I think it makes sense. So it seems like I could get away from a power steering fluid cooler by getting a different pump or pulley? Does Turn One make a power steering pump for our cars?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:03 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I wonder what the 370z guys do to prevent boiling the fluid?
See post #3 of this thread.