Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

6 speed launch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 AM
navecm
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
6 speed launch?

Been searching for tips on how to best launch a 6 speed at the drag strip. I've found ideas on rpm, clutch release methods etc.

I was curious how people are holding their car at the light to not break the beam. It might be simple but are you heeling the brake pedal, using the handbrake, or are you just making sure all momentum is gone and letting it sit there with out any aid?

Any insight is much appreciated!
Old 07-05-2015, 03:17 PM
MrTLFsr

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by navecm
Been searching for tips on how to best launch a 6 speed at the drag strip. I've found ideas on rpm, clutch release methods etc.

I was curious how people are holding their car at the light to not break the beam. It might be simple but are you heeling the brake pedal, using the handbrake, or are you just making sure all momentum is gone and letting it sit there with out any aid?

I find this car a bit of a chore to launch. I personally think the stock clutch is wimpy (at least compared to my Altima SE-R), so I'm hesitant to really get on it. I usually launch at 2k and slip the clutch quickly. Never got below a 2.19 60' but I'm feeling a bit more confident after each launch.

A track SHOULD be flat and you shouldn't need to apply the brakes when launching. After staging (2nd yellow light) start getting the rpm's up. Relax and don't pop the clutch or you will get wheel hop. Easier said than done.....
Old 07-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by navecm
IDK if this needs to be said, but turn off Traction Control.

Originally Posted by MrTLFsr
I find this car a bit of a chore to launch.
You got that right. I've never taken this car to the dragstrip, but when just playing with the car I've found my best launches are the ones where I'm not trying to wring every ounce out of the car.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:06 PM
navecm
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I figured out to just let it sit there and had no issues with that part.

Traction control off, tried launching at different rpms but either bogged spun bad, or wheelhopped. Still looking for that ideal amount of feathering of the clutch and ideal rpm. I think my best 60' was actually when I bogged to a 2.4!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
I can't launch with traction control on anymore... Ever since I put 285s in the rear ( lol ) the car just shuts down no matter what rpm I try and launch at... I'm getting 4.08s in the next week or two whenever they arrive in the mail and then we will see what I need to do.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
i launch at 2200 with the clutch pre-loaded.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:14 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
What does "pre-loaded" mean?

Trending Topics

Old 07-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sway_NV
I can't launch with traction control on anymore...
Don't know how you ever did in the first place. If you come out of the hole as hard as possible with TC on, you'll get slapped back. It's pretty embarrassing. Similarly, if you try to oversteer around a corner without TC, it gets real messy. Sometimes I wish the TC button were right there at the top of the shift ****. That would be cool. Or at the very least, on the side console next to the heated seat *****. Oh well.

Originally Posted by chilibowl
What does "pre-loaded" mean?
I suspect he's riding the clutch, or using his parking brake, or both. Although our parking brake is hardly enough to to do an AT-like brake-stand with... it's just a parking brake, not an actual E-Brake.

Whatever he's doing, I'm sure it's killing his clutch pad. But whatever, it's his car, and one man's abuse in another man's Racecar.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:54 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Don't know how you ever did in the first place. If you come out of the hole as hard as possible with TC on, you'll get slapped back. It's pretty embarrassing. Similarly, if you try to oversteer around a corner without TC, it gets real messy. Sometimes I wish the TC button were right there at the top of the shift ****. That would be cool. Or at the very least, on the side console next to the heated seat *****. Oh well.

I suspect he's riding the clutch, or using his parking brake, or both. Although our parking brake is hardly enough to to do an AT-like brake-stand with... it's just a parking brake, not an actual E-Brake.

Whatever he's doing, I'm sure it's killing his clutch pad. But whatever, it's his car, and one man's abuse in another man's Racecar.
^ Sounds about right.

Ive practiced on this car and the sweet spot is 2K. Nothing over 2,000rpm is necessary.

VDC off, rev it to 2K, dump the clutch 80%, feather it at the top for about one full second, as SOON as you feel the tires hook 100%, THATS when you stab the gas pedal.

The #1 biggest mistake is going WOT immediately after you let the clutch up, and thats when you fail miserably and run a 16 second quarter mile.

Be patient and time the gas pedal stab accordingly. You CANNOT launch this car without slipping the clutch for a couple heartbeats.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm just now re-learning how to jump out of a dead stop in this car with the RJM Clutch Pedal Assembly.

I have to say, it's a heck of a lot easier now.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Rogue_G

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
^ Sounds about right.

Ive practiced on this car and the sweet spot is 2K. Nothing over 2,000rpm is necessary.

VDC off, rev it to 2K, dump the clutch 80%, feather it at the top for about one full second, as SOON as you feel the tires hook 100%, THATS when you stab the gas pedal.

The #1 biggest mistake is going WOT immediately after you let the clutch up, and thats when you fail miserably and run a 16 second quarter mile.

Be patient and time the gas pedal stab accordingly. You CANNOT launch this car without slipping the clutch for a couple heartbeats.
If I may ask, what do you mean by dump the clutch 80%? Don't you need the clutch completely down before you can rev to 2k? Could you better explain the whole step for me? Sorry I am kind of a noob at the track. I ran 16s last time and I am sure it's because of my launch.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:12 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
6 speed launch?

Yes. I lightly load the clutch. Right below the clutch point, just to get the car to squat a bit. I use the hand brake just to hold it in place.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:29 AM
-SnowMan-

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PongSanity
Yes. I lightly load the clutch. Right below the clutch point, just to get the car to squat a bit. I use the hand brake just to hold it in place.
That sounds like it would be hell on the clutch.