Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help Takeda Short ram cold air intakes

Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 AM
sboucher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takeda Short ram cold air intakes

Hello,

I am new to this site and have recently purchased a 2012 G37XS coupe and love it. Now that I have been driving it for a few months I have noticed the acceleration(pedal) lag and am looking for more power. I've been reading tons of threads on potential mods and I have a few questions. Takeda short ram intakes state they provide an additional 18HP plus 20 pounds/ft of torque and quicker throttle response just by replacing your stock COI. Anyone buy/install these and have you seen the stated improvements?

Second question is what is best bang for the buck mods for better HP, throttle response and torque using an Uprev tune? Obviously you can go crazy spending tons of money so I'm looking to make a difference while not spending thousands of dollars. I currently love how the exhaust sounds so its more performance I'm looking for not aesthetics.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this
Old 10-02-2017, 06:39 PM
outsider0506

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had these installed today... I'll let you know how it goes. Just from my readings on the Torque Pro app, my MAF shows a lot more air, but the Intake temperature is also higher; but this is what I expected.

I seriously doubt that I'm going to get 18HP and 20 ft/lbs torque, but I can tell you that I really like the additional engine growl at about 3000 RPM!

My mechanics said that there were some fitment issues on the driver's side intake, where they had to bend the chassis mounting arm a bit and the tube's angle isn't perfect. Anyways, take note of that if you decide on this kit.

Last edited by outsider0506; 10-02-2017 at 06:41 PM. Reason: added installation issues.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:16 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Technically this short ram intake isn't a cold air because they suck air in from the hot engine bay. I had this setup and it did sound a lot nicer and perhaps the pickup was a little better but it doesn't improve the throttle response. For that you would need a tune.

If you want to go cold air then look at their cold air version or the Stillen Gen 3. The benefit of the Takeda is you won't have to modify the car in any way to install.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:13 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
How much enlargening does the front core support need for the Gen 3, NealP? I was considering it after reading this thread since it makes sense to have the intakes in front instead of where the stock air boxes are. My only concerns are if placing the filters in front of the radiator affect engine cooling much, and how much of a pain it is to get the filters to clean or replace them.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:02 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamBritt
How much enlargening does the front core support need for the Gen 3, NealP? I was considering it after reading this thread since it makes sense to have the intakes in front instead of where the stock air boxes are. My only concerns are if placing the filters in front of the radiator affect engine cooling much, and how much of a pain it is to get the filters to clean or replace them.
With either cold air intake you have to remove the bumper but with the stillen you have to trim out some plastic to make room for the intake tubes. You don't have to with the Takeda.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Eyeshield25

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I recommend R2C if you want a short ram. Probably the best short ram intake available for the G
Old 11-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Cold air intake is like a snorkel for pulling air takes longer to pull same volume of air from start so it's not helpful until your car is up and running at higher speeds
Old 11-08-2017, 12:52 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Cold air intake is like a snorkel for pulling air takes longer to pull same volume of air from start so it's not helpful until your car is up and running at higher speeds
What? It's not like air is sitting still in the pipes at low speeds.

Search this Thread