MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Help SRI or CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Brandonboggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRI or CAI

I really want to get a cold air intake but I'm very sketched out about hydro locking. I did hear you can get a hydro shield to prevent the water getting in. I also looked into getting an Injen short ram intake but it can be bad for the car due to the shorter tubes bringing in warmer air. Can a heat shield prevent this? I'm trying to do all the proper research I need to before buying. Any opinions on your personal preference? Thanks
Old 07-06-2014, 12:10 PM
lightlypurified
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
[QUOTE=Brandonboggs;3798100]I really want to get a cold air intake but I'm very sketched out about hydro locking. I did hear you can get a hydro shield to prevent the water getting in. I also looked into getting an Injen short ram intake but it can be bad for the car due to the shorter tubes bringing in warmer air. Can a heat shield prevent this? I'm trying to do all the
proper research I need to before buying. Any opinions on your
personal preference? Thanks[/
QUOTE]

Even with a heat shield your still sucking engine bay heat. Get stillen gen 2
Old 07-06-2014, 01:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
For ease of installation/removal the SRI FTW, for sound either will work well, for looks and some small HP gains the CAI FTW.
I have the Injen SRI and the heat shields are decent but still closer to the warm air compared to the CAI. I live in hot New Mexico and haven't had any noticeable heat soak loss and I can still get 28 mpg hwy cruising FWIW.

Definitely not as pretty as the long tube R2C or CAI systems though
Old 07-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Glover998

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
This is the most talked/discussed thread all over the universe lol.
Search for it n u will get tons of results in 0.0001 sec.

G.L
Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 PM
lightlypurified
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
just get an exhaust if you want sound intakes waste of money.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:53 AM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
go with CAI and get the hydro shield if your worried about hydro-locking. Ive had the stillen CAI installed in my car for about 6 months now with no hydro shield and i haven't had any issues at all.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
CAI aren't worth it except in the winter. You figure if its 100 outside, the asphalt might be 130? With a CAI you are sucking in that hot air plus the engine bay temp...idk seems pointless. I'd get a SRI just to save installation headaches and I would thermo wrap it to avoid as much heat soak as possible. Again, wont be the prettiest thing but should be effective
Old 09-28-2014, 04:50 AM
dtea54

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hands down cai just put the rain guard. Coming from a guy that had both I recently had a takeda cai and just swapped over to the stillen cai. Initial thoughts were it pulled a tad faster as compared to the sri
.the rpm seemed liked it sits about 150rpm highers... now only if I had taken a pic of the rpm with the sri. Interms of sound some what of a draw but the cai seems to have a deeper growl. Now how it pulls is where the stillen cai takes over it just feels and sounds good all the way to wot. I was surprise of how much of a punch it came with from just a the cai ... wow, so my choice it would for sure be the cai. Plus the g dosent seem to handle heat quite well or I really mean is I can feel the heat from the engine bay at my foot. Car always seemed warm when the windows were up. The cai corrected that quite a bit so heat soaking is definetly out of the question. In terms of rain, I live in vancouver bc so we get our fair share of heavy rain. No problems at all. Note thT tbis intake has been on my car for only about a week and it was pissing rain on the day of install. In terms of install it was quite simple. Bumper removal, test fiting all the components to ensure proper fitment. Took about 45mins. Said and done. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
The Stillen G2 has boxes similar to factory. Wouldn't those help with heat soak?