MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

g37 custom intake question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 12:05 PM
gmainss1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I won't deny it but anyone who has driven in my car has felt a difference even ones who didn't know I did anything asked if I did. And explain how I beat a stock g37 and I beat a v6 mustang with an exhaust on the track.. But anyways I'm not going to argue cuz I don't have numbers I just have what I know and that can't prove anything on here.. And recently installed R2C intakes so I don't have the makeshift ones that I made
Old 12-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
The R2C's aren't exactly an upgrade either, except for sounding awesome.

The stock intakes are really well designed, drawing cool air from the front bumper area and shielding the filters from sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. There's a reason R2C doesnt have before/after dynos like the Stillen

That's not to say they don't sound and look awesome, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:41 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The R2C's aren't exactly an upgrade either, except for sounding awesome.

The stock intakes are really well designed, drawing cool air from the front bumper area and shielding the filters from sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. There's a reason R2C doesnt have before/after dynos like the Stillen

That's not to say they don't sound and look awesome, and there is nothing wrong with that.
You might want to search the forum. Another user posted dyno comparisons between the R2C and SG3... The R2C actually had a wider band of power increase, where the SG3 mostly had it's increase at very high RPM.

Here's one thread here
It's long but worth the read.

In later pages someone also had air temp intake comparisons IIRC... all in all the diff between the two was a wash at best and the R2C had the edge on more commonly useable power ranges, lower cost and least modding required.

It seems the potential to take in warm air has been overstated somewhat, unless perhaps one is tracking.

Last edited by bikezilla; 12-17-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:34 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by bikezilla
You might want to search the forum. Another user posted dyno comparisons between the R2C and SG3... The R2C actually had a wider band of power increase, where the SG3 mostly had it's increase at very high RPM.

Here's one thread here
It's long but worth the read.

In later pages someone also had air temp intake comparisons IIRC... all in all the diff between the two was a wash at best and the R2C had the edge on more commonly useable power ranges, lower cost and least modding required.

It seems the potential to take in warm air has been overstated somewhat, unless perhaps one is tracking.
Close the hood and remove the giant fan blowing in the engine compartment and see what happens
Old 12-17-2015, 06:14 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Close the hood and remove the giant fan blowing in the engine compartment and see what happens
I don't imagine I will be driving under those conditions...for long.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:47 AM
KdubyaH

Reviving an old thread here, but I'm looking to fab up my own intake. The ones I see that have been made look like the r2c without the heat shields. Why not just make heat shields to further mimic the r2c?
Personally I was going to make one like the stillen gen3 or takeda.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:54 AM
KdubyaH

Originally Posted by gmainss1
i kind of did the same thing i basically replaced the tubing with tubes from pep boys and cut around the maf sensor. definitely got some power out of it and it was a pretty simple install.

The r2c appears to have a longer pipe and the heat shield. I am confident I could make my own and you wouldn't even notice a difference
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I dynoed my r2c intakes with muffler delete on a sedan and gained nothing over the OEM setup. Same dyno same operator almost identical conditions for temp and humidity just fyi