MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Just installed RJM clutch assembly.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:55 PM
out0focus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed the pedal assembly last weekend and my driving is so much better now. This is definitely the pedal that should have come with the car. My ribs and knees are still sore though.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 AM
travis2827

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had this pedal installed on my 2013 G37S. What a difference it makes! If I ever go to Japan, I want to kick the guy in the nuts that designed the factory pedal. If I ever go to Canada, I want to buy Ryan a few rounds at the pub. He did an awesome job designing this pedal and was really easy to deal with!DOMO
Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Aftershok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought I'd take this opportunity to share a response Ryan gave me when I contacted him about his pedal assembly and the slave cylinder warranty issues:

Yes, the very failures your describing and which have plague all of the VQ cars equipped with Nissan Concentric Slave Cylinders is greatly reduced with the RJM pedal. The reason for this is simply that by reducing the excess pedal stroke and deadzone where the pedal/CSC continues to stroke past where the clutch is fully disengaged it reduces the wear/tear that accumulates with every shift. With the factory pedal the CSC piston is travelling in its bore about 50% more than it needs to in order to fully disengage the clutch so that extra travel on each shift wears the seals out faster. Reducing the stroke reduces seal wear. Secondly the main reason for sudden CSC failure is “popping” the seals when the piston travels too far and blows out of its housing. Again this is caused by excess fluid being forced to the CSC from the master cylinder and reducing the master cylinder stroke (thru AFP setting and pedal height) reduces the total stroke of the master cylinder so it pushes a lesser volume of fluid to the CSC on each pedal stroke greatly reducing the chance of blowing out the seals.

The factory pedal with all its excess stroke runs right on the ragged edge of popping these seals with every pedal press and the sheer number of owners who’ve experienced repeated CSC failures demonstrates this. There are a combination of factors that can lead to CSC failure with the stock pedal but it’s possible thru a combination of rapid expansion of the clutch the fluid from heating while driving hard to build some extra pressure in the clutch line and if the balance valve in master cylinder doesn’t allow the expanding fluid to flow back to the reservoir then on the next full pedal press the CSC can overstroke instantly popping the seals.

With the RJM I won’t say the CSC can’t fail as I’m sure eventually all CSC’s will wear out from old age and high miles however with the CSC only stroking about 50% it’s useful life span could be as much as doubled by reducing strain to the seals which are the weak link in all CSC’s. To date in over 3 years of selling these I’ve not had a single customer report any sort of CSC failure after the install of my product and none have needed warranty work due to said problem. One customer with a modified clutch told me he’d popped 2 or 3 factory CSC’s in a row before buying the RJM pedal and has since been failure free for about 2 years now.

As well I’ve had a number of customers report having their cars in for major warranty service work and the dealership either didn’t notice or didn’t care as they never mentioned it to them and full coverage was applied. If you’re worried about the possibility of a denied warranty claim in future for a transmission related issue to be 100% safe you can swap the factory pedal back in before it goes to the dealership in about the same time as the initial install and they would never be able to tell the RJM was there since nothing is permanently modified during installation. It would be a little of your time to swap them but you’d be sure to get full service. As well by law they can’t deny warranty service for mods which can’t be directly proven to have caused the problem. Example a blown engine can’t be denied because of a clutch pedal or suspension upgrades, etc.

Hope that helps a little in putting your mind at ease over your warranty coverage.
Hope this helps someone. He really does provide some great service.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Ryan is awesome. Gave me some very detailed instructions recently for desired adjustments to my pedal settings. Always wonderful service and thorough explanations.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:45 PM
WaarrEagle

Just ordered the RJM assembly for my new (to me) 2010 G37 Coupe. Can't wait to get it installed!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Racindaddy

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Since installing my pedal I have had two clutches replaced under warranty and last week a new transmission. They didn't say anything about the pedal.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:04 AM
04G35NYC
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had mine installed today and after two hours driving my Key light turned on the small light on the right side and cruise control doesn't work anymore. Anyone had this problem by any chance? Oh and this is the best mod ever feels so good driving a normal pedal with out pedal feel.

Last edited by 04G35NYC; 05-04-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:24 PM
TakmaN
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
I had mine installed today and after two hours driving my Key light turned on the small light on the right side and cruise control doesn't work anymore. Anyone had this problem by any chance? Oh and this is the best mod ever feels so good driving a normal pedal with out pedal feel.
The key light could be a timing coincidence but the cruise control part sounds like the upper switch wasn't re-installed correctly or was broken in the process. Make sure it was snapped back in correctly and the pedal pushes in the switch (leaving almost no room between the switch and thread) when the pedal is fully up.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:50 PM
04G35NYC
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you for the info. Any idea whats the OEM part number for the cruise switch?

Originally Posted by TakmaN
The key light could be a timing coincidence but the cruise control part sounds like the upper switch wasn't re-installed correctly or was broken in the process. Make sure it was snapped back in correctly and the pedal pushes in the switch (leaving almost no room between the switch and thread) when the pedal is fully up.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:19 PM
yardie_g37_6mt

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Installed my RJM clutch pedal (rev 2.1) this past weekend after procrastinating for almost three months. This install was a serious PITA. Kudos to those who've stated they completed the install in a couple of hours. I'm to embarrassed to say how long I took. Of course I was determined to do it without taking the driver's seat out. Big mistake. Even after taking it out it was still a pain. My adjustment is at 70% (0% = stock). I finally can drive my 6mt without thinking of how to drive my 6mt everytime I move off from a stop or want to change gears. As many especially BB, this is worlds above and beyond just changing the stock clutch spring. If you own a 6MT this is a must do. If you have the cash and know someone familiar with the process, pay them to do it and say some cash on another different DIY mod. Much kudos to Ryan Morgan at RJM Performance.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:53 AM
Fman007
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I installed mine a few weeks ago as well! Tore up my hands! Yeah...took me way longer than 2 hours. The only hard part for me was that large pin. Sucker killed an hour trying to line up the pin, force it through, while holding the washer out of the way. Fun times. Either way....the result is amazing! I'm at 70% as well and car drives really smooth. Get this pedal.....even if just for passengers.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:25 AM
david77845

can anyone help me adjusting the RJM clutch ??
Anybody who lives in South Florida would be great!

My car is still jerky.... please.. help me
Old 08-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Awesteng

I use Rhino Ramps for my oil changes. Every so often, if it's an off day, I may stall out trying to get on the ramps.

Installed the RJM assembly and boy was it a difference. The friction window is much wider and you have so much more control. Very happy with the purchase. The install was a little bit of a PITA though.