MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Rear Mount Turbo

Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Rear Mount Turbo

Has anyone done this to their G37 yet? I have been seriously considering it, just to try it out since it is very cost effective. Was going to go with an STS system. Wanted anyones input who has experience with it.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
i didnt even know this was possible on the g... i saw a lexus isf with twin turbo in the rear, it was actually connected to the exhaust i think? didnt really look closely since it was a reflection off of a mirror on the ground, but you should try it out, itll be something new!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Squires Turbo Systems - Nissan 370Z

They are offering it for the Z, not the G. Might be the same install...

Claiming 470whp. I would be really surprised to see that.

When I think rear mount turbo, I think cheap and lazy. Most people here feel the sam I'm sure so be prepared to get flamed, but I think you should do it if you want to. I would be interested to see it in action.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:54 PM
kaoticdemize

yes, sts has universal kits that can be used on any vehicle, just need to fabricate the exhaust systems for it.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 PM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Lot more than just fabbing up an exhaust
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM
kaoticdemize

not really, their universal kit comes with everything inbetween all the exhaust fab from engine to tips, so its fabing all the piping from the intakes and back. I know its not just fabbing the exhaust but essentially that is all it is including fitment for any vehicle from the universal kit.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:45 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How does a car even gain any HP from having the turbos in the back? I thought the purpose of the turbos was to allow more air into the engine. Seems to me like the rear mounted turbos just release the air out to the exhaust without any air going into the engine. Sorry, im a turbo noob.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 PM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
so you need to custom fab a pipe from throttle body to intercooler. piping from manifold to rear turbo section. piping from turbo to intercooler. then, get tune?
also, i htought you also need to have manifold that can handle the heat? not sure
Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wlmngtn
How does a car even gain any HP from having the turbos in the back? I thought the purpose of the turbos was to allow more air into the engine. Seems to me like the rear mounted turbos just release the air out to the exhaust without any air going into the engine. Sorry, im a turbo noob.
A simple answer:

Mechanically, they do the same thing. They take exhaust gasses on one side of the turbo and compress intake air on the other side.

Rear mounted turbos require piping to go back to the engines intake. They can have their air filters located at the rear of the car where the air is compressed by the turbo, and then piped back to the engine to go into the engine.

Typically, you see turbos mounted right after the exhaust header when the exhaust gas leaves the engine. But its still mounted in the exhaust piping. The STS systems just mount their turbo further down the exhaust piping towards the rear.

Both systems have pros and cons. The pros of the STS system is it allows you to install a turbo on a car which might not have any engine space to install a turbo and the necessary piping.

As you can see from the picture above, you have 2 exhaust headers which enter a Y pipe down the middle of the car which come to the back of the car and enter the turbo. The turbo has the air intake to the left of it, and then routes the compressed intake air back down the left side of the picture to the engine's intake, where it goes through an air to air front mounted heat exchanger to cool it off before going through the engine.

Last edited by philter25; 05-12-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have seen them on several g35's but not a G37. No reason why it wouldnt work though.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 PM
huwee06

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
idk see how practical the placment is; just asking for some water and road debris to eff that turbokit in a heartbeat.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent explanation, thank you very much.
Now, because this system does take a while for the air to travel, would it cause an excessive amount of lag? Such as it taking a long time for the turbos to sool?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Shadow G37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no additional lag from the placement; to simplify it, as soon as the engine is running and the exhaust has the turbo(s) spinning, the return-intake piping is "full" of air. So when you give the car rpms, it's just pushing the air through from the back.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Fico

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow G37s
no additional lag from the placement; to simplify it, as soon as the engine is running and the exhaust has the turbo(s) spinning, the return-intake piping is "full" of air. So when you give the car rpms, it's just pushing the air through from the back.
there is a huge amount more lag with a rear mounted kit from a standing start. not only does the exhaust have to travel farther to start boost, but the charge has to travel farther to get to the engine. (think going to canada but taking a road through mexico to get there)The main factors in lag come from the volume of pipe involved. by doubling the amount of pipe needed your creating more lag. But there is an upside, the air moving under the car cools the pipe more and with the addition of an inter cooler the charge is a lot cooler then a standard setup (more power).

Now this is just speculation so feel free to call bulls**t but as the exhaust gasses cool (from header to turbo) they should become more dense thus hitting the blades harder and spinning the turbo faster. so you could essentially run a bigger turbo than normal.

another thing to take into account is the need for a remote oil sump to feed the turbo which is a good/bad thing once again. the oil will be alot cooler due to not feeding from the engine but at the same time you have to deal with placement running lines and perhaps cutting/fabricating.

and as someone mentioned there is always the threat of water which id actually never considered but would be a problem. not to mention if your lowered your going to want everything tucked tight so you dont rip off the turbo on a bump

everything has its pros and cons and from what i hear about heat issues and these cars remote mount kits seem the way to go. but research is always the key
Old 05-23-2011, 02:31 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
there is no lag in a rear turbo kit i had one of these on my truck and there was 0 lag...you seem to know nothing about the rear mount system..there is no heat issues since the turbo in not in a enclosed area..seem you need to go read up about the rear mount turbo kits..

here is a video for you as well

YouTube - ‪STS Rear Mount Turbo Lag Demonstration‬‏

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Mount Turbo