MN G CREW This is the subforum for the MN G CREW

Oh oh MNGC gets political...(Crew Members Only)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Oh oh MNGC gets political...(Crew Members Only)

I'm not one to usually get into sensitive topics such as politics, but this is election season and I just witnessed a fairly heated debate between two coworker of mine.

Let me first preface this by saying that I'm not interested in trying to convince anyone to vote one way or another. I simply feel that we have a diverse enough group (culturally and in various sector of the workforce) that it would be interesting to hear how other people feel about the candidate they support and more importantly why. I'm counting on the fact that we are all good friends and respect each to keep this a civil conversation

If you guys feel this is a horrible idea then we can scrap it. Just figured I'd throw it out there since my curiosity got the best of me.

Last edited by soolman32; 10-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Honestly, Im not really a fan of either candidate, but given our current presidents financial track record, ahem, stimulus bills, i think a little more fiscally responsible person would be welcome. It's my future, and i'd rather it not be riddled in debt that I have to pay because we need a program for every little thing.

Given that, i dont really care who you vote for as long as you vote no on the marriage amendment as thats the only thing im passionate about in this election haha.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 PM
soolman32

So what I'm getting from what you wrote is... Romney is who you are most likely to vote for come election day because you want less spending. Am I right?

Not that you asked but I will be voting No
Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
WannabeSport

You pretty much nailed it lol. I already cast my absentee ballot but those are my reasons.. not that im impressed with Romney (really, i am not) but I just feel like hes got a little more of a reasonable outlook on the fiscal issues in the nation. Started/ran some very successful businesses and I think hes pretty good with money based on that.

Really, thats where I draw the line. lol

This whole political year intrigues me as im genuinely curious about who will win. Obama has a good campaign going but it seems like more and more batches of people are tired of him so I really don't know. I feel it is going to be surprisingly close though.

Last edited by WannabeSport; 10-23-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM
soolman32

I do feel it's going to be a really close election. It's only fair that I share where I stand since I posed the question. Typing on my phone sucks so for now I'll just that my vote is going to Obama and will preent my rationale a litle later once I get in front of a computer lol
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM
WannabeSport

I hear ya Tevi. lol Honestly, they are both not on my short list so I really don't care who anyone votes for...
Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
MN-G-Fever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not getting into alot of details but I see how important small businesses are to growth in the US and being that my dad owns a small business and I have seen what Obama did to screw over successful small businesses the last few years. Small businesses account for the majority of the workforce so I see it as a fairly important issue. I think Obama is more concerned with helping the lower class than to do what is best for America as a whole. I agree with Obama in saying we need to help the middle class since it makes up the majority of the US. And seeing videos like this **** me the he// off seeing my hard earned tax dollars go to programs like this. I know everyone is in their own situation with financial difficulties, but our current system is set up for those who are lazy to just collect their food stamps and contribute nothing to America and just take from the taxpayers.

I am not saying Romney will solve that issue posed in the video, but Obama favors people like that way to much. Both politicians have their fair share of flaws, don't get me wrong but those two instances had a lasting impression on me throughout the last few months. I just wish both candidates would focus more on how we can improve America and get ourselves out of this absurd amount of debt rather than rip eachother for their past. Romney has said some asinine comments as well but I agree overall with the republican principles so you know who has my vote. The majority of my friends are Republican and even co-workers (which I was very surprised about) so I really have not engaged much with democrats. Curious to hear your reasons - I do not consider myself one that tunes into politics like I do sports, so I take an approach form the outside looking in

Last edited by MN-G-Fever; 10-23-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 PM
MN-G-Fever

And Romney wants to eliminate taxes on captital gains tax (for those earning under $250k) - I could have had a G37 when I bought my G if I wasn't taxed 20% on my investment proceeds I used as a down payment for the G35 coupe .

And I can get into alot more tax strategies between the two candidates since I deal with it (or used to back in MPLS for work), but bottom line is we need to make our tax rates for the wealthy more in line with foreign countries so people aren't investing overseas and america gets ZERO tax dollars on those investments. Alot of money being lost overseas because of the high tax rates in the US - too many loopholes in the current tax system losing money that should stay here in the US where it was earned
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM
WannabeSport

Holy taxe arguement batman haha.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
soolman32

Allright finally have time to sit down and type.

First I can't help but be pissed off when I see the level of ignorance displayed in that video. It's people like that make it hard to justify having some to any programs in place to assist people who are truly down on their luck and just a need a temporary hand up.

Anyway I'm no expert on politics but these are my views. Some of this will be very simplistic but at the end of the day i try to bring things down to a level I can relate to. I recognize that there is no one way but simply try to find what speaks more to my core beliefs.

Economy

The critics I hear are that there is massive debt, the economy hasn't recovered nearly as much and unemployement isn't where it should be. All 3 points are factual. With that said I feel Obama has done everything he could to stop the rapid decline toward a Depression. If you were broke, had massive debt but still had bills and expenses you were responsible for, what would you do? one option is to file bankruptcy and start over. The other is to borrow money from someone else and pay it back once you get back on your feet. I could be wrong on this but I don't think a country can file bankruptcy so the other option left is borrowing more. it will push you further in debt but it is necessary. The argument that you can simply stop spending to me is absurd. You can cut back on a lot of unnecessary things and therefore borrowing only what you need. The gray area is defining what's necessary and what's not. All in all, when expert economist who look at the economy for what it is are asked about the state of the economy compared to when the president took office, the answers is that it is no longer declining and in fact growing. My conclusion is therefore that even if I don't agree with every programs and decision made along the way, we are moving in the right direction and coming out of the "catching up" phase.

I do strongly feel that Obama needs to stop catering so much to the range of the population the people in the video represent. There's things that can be and should be done to better control who receives help. I don't feel cutting every program is the answer.

Foreign Policies

I have a personal interest in this. My brother is one of the people out there in harms way fighting a war that has been going on for way too long. The criticism has been that the policies in place are falling apart and the middle east is unraveling before our very eyes. However, when the facts are checked and the questions is asked what would you have done better... the other is the same that Obama and his administration have put in place and are pushing. It has been found to be effective and though far from perfect, things are "improving" and people like my brother will be coming home. I also think it's fair to say that the world at large does not view our president as a weak non resolute man. And even if I closed my eye to what the media has to say, the simple fact that friends and family (and their circle of friend) as far as I know have a positive view of America means that the President's approach is likely working.

Social issues

Whether it's same sex marriage, abortion, equal pay for woman or equal opportunity in general. I believe and am in favor of all these things.

Romney/Ryan are either not in favor or simply have not articulated what they stood for.

Overall I feel there's still lots of work to be done but we are moving in the right direction. I feel he still has the right vision to move the country forward in this second term we'll start seeing a lot more improvements. It will however take both parties to work together.

ok done
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM
MN-G-Fever

^^^ I agree with most of the stuff you say Tevi. Def hear ya on the foreign policy with Obama compared to Romney and you have every right to take that issue to heart.

I have an issue with the current national debt - you could say Obama's first year as president took on debt that Bush created, but Obama has done nothing in the last 3 years to slow down our national debt. When Obama took office our national debt was around $10 trillion and currently it is over $16 trillion. Bush still had to deal with a recession like Obama did - keep in mind we had the attacks on 9/11 in there which caused the stock market to take big hits around that time and the tech bubble and recession that occured in 2001 while Bush was in office.

I just think the rate at which debt has increased scares the he// out of me and to think where this could be when I have kids if something isn't changed now. Like Janik said, Romney has experience with 'balancing a budget' with businesses in the past and I have not been impressed with the way Obama has approached the issue.

Check out this debt calculator and while I typed this up we just increased our debt more than $10 million dollars... That is roughly $45,000 per second and $3.5 billion per day. We need to slow that ish dowwwwwnnnnn
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM
soolman32

I can't at all disagree with the US national debt needing to be put under control.That clock is freaky btw.... I think Obama recognizes that. I do honestly also feel that if Romney was put in office he would have a positive impact on the economy, I'm just not convinced based on everything he's put forward that his approach would be more effective than the president. To be fair though, I do have to say that neither strategy get us to a "balance budget" within the next 4 years. I didn't do the math myself, solely based on what I heard on CNN during one of the post debate fact check.

I'm therefore not saying that Obama is much better than Romney. My logic is simply that during Obama's first term, the economy has turned around and is moving in the right direction. That counts for something in my book, but I'll also be the first to say that a lot more need to be done.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 PM
MN-G-Fever

yea and I can't say romney has a plan - i am voting for him for those other reasons i said earlier. just hoping whoever is elected can turn this biiish in the right direction. MERICA - F^CK YEAAAAA!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 PM
soolman32

Originally Posted by MN-G-Fever
yea and I can't say romney has a plan - i am voting for him for those other reasons i said earlier. just hoping whoever is elected can turn this biiish in the right direction. MERICA - F^CK YEAAAAA!!!

Team America World Police Theme America **** Yeah EXPLICIT WARNING - YouTube
"Bed Bath & Beyond... F... yEAH"

Thank you both for chiming in. Didn't expect much participation but figured I d throw it out anyways
Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 PM
WannabeSport

And we've resumed to typical MNGC banter haha.

Quick Reply: Oh oh MNGC gets political...(Crew Members Only)