Midwestern Serving CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, SD, UT, WI, WY

Good G37 shop in Chicago for maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:11 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Good G37 shop in Chicago for maintenance?

Just got a 2013 G37x. I'm looking for a shop on the north side of Chicago that will do a good job on routine maintenance like fluid changes, brakes, etc., at lower prices than the dealer. Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2017, 06:52 PM
etphonehome22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where on the north side are you?
Old 01-07-2017, 01:27 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Most of the routine maintenance on this car can be done yourself. Invest in some tools instead.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:25 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by etphonehome22
where on the north side are you?
Near Lincoln square - Lawrence & Western area.

And as for the "do it yourself" suggestion - well, that would be much easier if I had a garage... working on a car out on a city street, not the best place to be changing differential lube or flushing brake fluid. Besides I'm ELDERLY and can't climb around under a car like I did years ago. Not to mention it is currently 5° F here today, going up to a high of 9° F.... I'd like to see anyone doing proper maintenance on a car outdoors in this weather. No, I need a reliable shop where I can take it for the preventive maintenance I feel it should have.

I have read about Infinitech Auto on Elston, might go there to check out their prices on some of the fluid changes I want done.

Bought a 2013 G37x with 38k miles in November, want to get some stuff done before it hits 40k miles to help it last for the long haul- change the coolant, brake fluid, auto trans fluid, differential lube, etc. Would like to find a place that can do quality work with the right fluids but not at the prices the dealer changes.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:07 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I can appreciate your dilemma. We have a detached garage where most of the maintenance is done. Of course, I try to schedule things during the warmer months, not in the middle of subfreezing winter.

Since owning my car, it's only been to the dealer for warranty work. Everything else was diy. General maintenance on this car isn't rocket science, in fact, I'd say it's one of the easier cars to work on with everything accessible and no issues getting parts (it is a glorified nissan after all).

Aside from a fluid refresh, I'd suggest doing a throttle body cleaning too.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:26 PM
etphonehome22

Originally Posted by milosz
Near Lincoln square - Lawrence & Western area.

And as for the "do it yourself" suggestion - well, that would be much easier if I had a garage... working on a car out on a city street, not the best place to be changing differential lube or flushing brake fluid. Besides I'm ELDERLY and can't climb around under a car like I did years ago. Not to mention it is currently 5° F here today, going up to a high of 9° F.... I'd like to see anyone doing proper maintenance on a car outdoors in this weather. No, I need a reliable shop where I can take it for the preventive maintenance I feel it should have.

I have read about Infinitech Auto on Elston, might go there to check out their prices on some of the fluid changes I want done.

Bought a 2013 G37x with 38k miles in November, want to get some stuff done before it hits 40k miles to help it last for the long haul- change the coolant, brake fluid, auto trans fluid, differential lube, etc. Would like to find a place that can do quality work with the right fluids but not at the prices the dealer changes.
I totally get that. I'm in the Southwest suburbs and when winter hits I go to my local Infiniti dealership for things outside of my expertise. I know a bunch of people there though so they give me deals on parts and labor. And as for a diy spot, the best was is to make friends, I live in a condo with a single car garage... 0 space to do anything. So I made friends with an old coworker who has a 3 car garage.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:44 PM
InitialC
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
As you're probably gathering from the responses, it's slim pickings. Not as huge of a G following in Chicago unfortunately. Most people go to the dealer or DIY. I had a mechanic over on Elston & Pulaski, but I fell out with him over my clutch install. Now I no longer go to him because of that incident, but up until then I'd been going to his shops for over 10 years. You're not too far from that area he may be an option for you in regards to the routine maintenance you're speaking of. If you're willing to go further Touge Factory (Wheeling) is another option. Chicago Zs forum may have better leads for you.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:49 PM
etphonehome22

Originally Posted by InitialC
As you're probably gathering from the responses, it's slim pickings. Not as huge of a G following in Chicago unfortunately. Most people go to the dealer or DIY. I had a mechanic over on Elston & Pulaski, but I fell out with him over my clutch install. Now I no longer go to him because of that incident, but up until then I'd been going to his shops for over 10 years. You're not too far from that area he may be an option for you in regards to the routine maintenance you're speaking of. If you're willing to go further Touge Factory (Wheeling) is another option. Chicago Zs forum may have better leads for you.
TF is great and One6 is also good. Both in the same general area
Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM
ram18962
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you don't have a problem going to Schaumburg/Arlington Heights area go to Race Consulting Agency. They specialize in Infiniti/Nissan. I take my car there all the time and there work is top notch and the guys Adam, Max, Sam, and Justin are great to work with. Infiniti dealer quoted me $665 to install an O2 sensor and from them I bought an OEM denso sensor with install for $155.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Thanks for the mention. Will add them to my references if/when I need non dealer support. They're not too far from here either, near oakton and elmhurst rd.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 AM
InitialC
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll check them out too. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:14 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by etphonehome22
TF is great and One6 is also good. Both in the same general area

Between One6 and TF, which one is better if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 PM
milosz
Registered Member

"...One6 and TF...."

Those are motorsport shops.... I'm just looking for a place that can do things like change the transfer case lube properly etc....
Old 04-13-2017, 11:12 AM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by milosz
Just got a 2013 G37x. I'm looking for a shop on the north side of Chicago that will do a good job on routine maintenance like fluid changes, brakes, etc., at lower prices than the dealer. Any suggestions?
I've been to Joe's Expert Auto off of N. Elston Ave. Joe senior is the owner and from my experiences in working with him, he is pretty good and thorough. Joe senior also drives a G35 and is very familiar with the Infiniti line.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:23 PM
milosz
Registered Member

Joe's Expert Auto - Chicago

Originally Posted by G37xS-Life
I've been to Joe's Expert Auto off of N. Elston Ave. Joe senior is the owner and from my experiences in working with him, he is pretty good and thorough. Joe senior also drives a G35 and is very familiar with the Infiniti line.

I hope this helps.
Great tip! Thanks! If he's got a G35 then I'm sure he knows the car.

Joe's Expert Auto
2740 N. Elston Ave
Chicago, IL 60647 (Just north/west of Western Ave & Elston)
773-862-6200
7:30am-5pm Mon-Fri

Joe's Expert Auto