MEDIA SHARE Intake, Exhaust, Engine, Forced-Induction & Drivetrain

Help Does a lightweight flywheel make your G37s faster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
newbs...

a flywheel will not increase your hp....it will incrase your acceleration due to a lighter rotating mass...but ur engine still produces the same power...

does changing your wheels increase your hp? it doesn't! your car feels like it's accelerating faster because you have lighter rims...same idea with the flywheel...

for the even newer newbs...no, the clutch will not increase hp either, same goes with nismo stickers...

the car will feel a lot quicker during acceleration, which is a good thing, but the car is now 10x harder to drive. You'll need to rev the rpm's higher to launch, and you'll need to shift a lot quicker....

i changed my flywheel/clutch on my old car...after 3 months, i swapped back to oem...

think about rush hour traffic....
Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
newbs...

a flywheel will not increase your hp....it will incrase your acceleration due to a lighter rotating mass...but ur engine still produces the same power...

does changing your wheels increase your hp? it doesn't! your car feels like it's accelerating faster because you have lighter rims...same idea with the flywheel...

for the even newer newbs...no, the clutch will not increase hp either, same goes with nismo stickers...

the car will feel a lot quicker during acceleration, which is a good thing, but the car is now 10x harder to drive. You'll need to rev the rpm's higher to launch, and you'll need to shift a lot quicker....

i changed my flywheel/clutch on my old car...after 3 months, i swapped back to oem...

think about rush hour traffic....
To clarify.

Light Flywheel/clutch/rims/tires/brakes do not increase engine output.

They do, technically, increase horsepower put to the ground (more technically, they decrease drivetrain loss).
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike:
bos3ayd (10-15-2014), hooey_b (02-02-2016), Howard_lucas17 (01-20-2020)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
exactly my point, they increase whp because it allows the engine to put more power to the ground
Old 01-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^You guys explain it way better than I do.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by VIP G
exactly my point, they increase whp because it allows the engine to put more power to the ground
But realistically speaking, you won't see any gains from the combo... and you're probably hurting driveability.

The impact of wheels/tires is FAR greater than the impact of a flywheel clutch.

Losing 10 lbs of unspring weight on a ring, vs losing 10 lbs unsprung weight on a disk.

Remember, the diameter of the tires (ring) is far greater than a flywheel and clutch (disk), and that a ring has more inertia than a disk.

I don't remember the equations to calculate... but I do believe it is an exponential equation.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:22 PM
gtracing

the whp which is increased by reducing the weight of the flywheel is not by much....but you do feel the car accelerate a lot faster...

at the end of the day, really consider if you wanna change your flywheel...cause it's a bitch to drive especially if it's your daily driver
Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Mike

so you're saying that a 2whp gain makes the car feel like it is accelerating a lot faster?

It will definately rev faster (and drop the revs faster too), but IMO, an intake would have a much more noticeable effect, and the intakes arn't proven to provide much if any gain...

I totally agree on reconsidering the flywheel, as you will hurt your daily driveability, and it isn't cheap to go back once you do it.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
doesn't hurt driveability at all, I love the feel much better than stock, clutch catches lower and shifter doesn't vibrate as much
The following users liked this post:
AcezG37 (12-06-2018)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 AM
G37Sambanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why I am glad Sharif told me about this site. You guys have been a lot of help. I am still on the fence about the mod, but I now have a greater understanding of the mod and what it really does and does not do. The car cost me so much, I need to get as many daily driven miles out of it as possible. I want to build a track car and keep my g37s as my #1. I think with everything you people have said, I am going to wait and just do the lightweight flywheel and performance clutch on the track car.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 AM
gtracing

Originally Posted by VIP G
doesn't hurt driveability at all, I love the feel much better than stock, clutch catches lower and shifter doesn't vibrate as much
a clutch and flywheel isn't for the mild enthusiast...u have to be a hardcore car enthusiast to go with a mod like that...everyone's driving styles are different as well...
Old 01-13-2009, 01:47 AM
gtracing

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
so you're saying that a 2whp gain makes the car feel like it is accelerating a lot faster?

It will definately rev faster (and drop the revs faster too), but IMO, an intake would have a much more noticeable effect, and the intakes arn't proven to provide much if any gain...

I totally agree on reconsidering the flywheel, as you will hurt your daily driveability, and it isn't cheap to go back once you do it.
the only way to really describe it when i did it to my civic...it felt like i took off 100 pounds off the car...it was just peppier...but like u said, the daily driveability was out the window...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by gtracing
the only way to really describe it when i did it to my civic...it felt like i took off 100 pounds off the car...it was just peppier...but like u said, the daily driveability was out the window...
going from 85whp to 90whp is a much more significant gain than going from 270whp to 272whp

Pullys on the Civic make a rather signficant difference as well, whereas on the G's, pully's make no measurable difference

On the flip side, once you make the adjustment, a lightweight flywheel will be driveable. I think of mine as a sort of anti-theft feature... everyone stalls my car between the heavier pedal, 8 lb flywheel, and stickier clutch disk

The major difference is unless I'm shifting rather quickly, I actually have to keep my foot on the gas to keep the revs up.

If at all possible, find someone with your potential future setup and drive their car before committing. There WILL be additional noise (sometimes significantly more noise) with an aftermarket setup.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
going from 85whp to 90whp is a much more significant gain than going from 270whp to 272whp

Pullys on the Civic make a rather signficant difference as well, whereas on the G's, pully's make no measurable difference

On the flip side, once you make the adjustment, a lightweight flywheel will be driveable. I think of mine as a sort of anti-theft feature... everyone stalls my car between the heavier pedal, 8 lb flywheel, and stickier clutch disk

The major difference is unless I'm shifting rather quickly, I actually have to keep my foot on the gas to keep the revs up.

If at all possible, find someone with your potential future setup and drive their car before committing. There WILL be additional noise (sometimes significantly more noise) with an aftermarket setup.
For the record, I never stalled your car when i drove it So that means I can steal it...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:15 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
good luck driving uphill with a light clutch & flywheel.. expect to stall with every gearshift lol IMO unless you're going to track your car these should be last on your mod list
Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM
gtracing

i did own a civic before...(actually, an acura EL), and i had the lightweight flywheel, and also had the pulley set...and honestly, i couldn't feel a damn difference with the pulley....the only thing that really gave me more hp was the v-afc after hours of dyno tuning...all these "bolt on" parts for low hp vehicles don't really do much....u gotta get into the internals in order to make a significant difference...as for the G....i'm still not very familiar with it (actually nissan/infiniti in general, i'm a honda guy)...so i can't really comment on it...but from my experiences with honda, this is how i feel about pulleys and flywheels...

at the end of the day, i still believe it's not worth it...especially pulleys cause it doesn't do any short term damage, but it definitely wrecks the motor in the long run...

Quick Reply: Help Does a lightweight flywheel make your G37s faster?