Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Custom Exhaust Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:37 AM
tom_lom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Exhaust Help!

Hey everyone. So 1 month ago I was driving through a construction zone in NYC and passed over a steel plate covering a trench in the ground. Little did I notice that the plate was sticking up at the edge and clipped my exhaust and yanked the whole thing straight out from under my car.
Custom Exhaust Help!-photo493.jpg
This is how high the plate was in better light the next day
Custom Exhaust Help!-photo923.jpg

Anyway after a month of fighting with the Construction company and finding their insurance, it's getting fixed at the body shop next week.

My number one concern is how I want the car to sound. The exhaust setup previously was test pipes, a Megan racing catback with an X-pipe, 2 extra magnaflow resonators, and the big can mufflers. The sound was decent, not too loud but very aggressive.

NEW SETUP
For the new setup I no longer want to deal with test pipes or HFC, and want to put the stock cats back on. The performance gains aren't really a concern is just sound im looking for as top priority. Also I plan on salvaging the whole mid section of the old exhaust and just going straight to tips without mufflers.

Stock cats>Xpipe>4 resonators>straight pipe

Does anyone have some input on this and how it will sound? My best guess is that this will sound very similar to a Motordyne catback, being that they share similar straight through characteristics. In my mind I think this will sound good, decently loud with a deep growl and refined sound due to the extra resonators.
Any input is greatly appreciated as I'm still conflicted about how to set this up.
Thanks

Last edited by tom_lom; 03-11-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:27 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Hard to say man. Stockcats its hard to get an exhaust to sound bad. My guess itll be ok.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
You could put in silencer tips into your exhaust to take down sound
Old 04-11-2017, 10:48 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
2.5, X- pipe, (2) 1790 Vibrant Resonators, Magnaflow cans - Super deep grumble

or

2.25, Y- pipe, resonator delete, Tanabe axleback - Sounds like the offspring of an M3 and G37. I-6 meets VQ

Those two set-ups have been the best sounding to me.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM
tom_lom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I wound up with stock cats, X pipe, Magnaflow & Megan resonators (4 total). No mufflers. It sounds great, not too loud, only little drone at 2k rpm only so its bearable. Very deep and refined. The 4 resonators really keep the sound clean and non raspy without causing any exhaust restriction. Will post a sound clip soon.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:04 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
In for the sound byte