Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help Catback exhaust gift for my father

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:01 PM
ConnorJ177

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catback exhaust gift for my father

Hi! This is my first post here and I hope its the right place. So to start off, my father currently owns a 2012 G37X and totally loves it!! He loves the power and the smooth ride. He likes just about everything, but the exhaust. He has the stock exhaust and wants an upgrade, but doesn't currently have the money to upgrade. I wanted to surprise him and ship him a new system.

All he really wants just a simple cat-back system that sounds nice and increases horsepower, also a new intake (possibly K&N?) He loves the low rumble from cold starts and doesn't mind exterior exhaust sound. Also and upgrade to the dual intake would be a plus.
I have a budget of $1600ish

So again:
Wants: Cat-back Exhaust / Low rumble / Deep tone / Loud at higher speeds
Neutral: Whether or not it adds horsepower / Weight of the system / Cosmetic look
Doesn't want: High pitch / Raspy / Cheap metal / Hard to install

Thanks and any input would be awesome! If I don't respond immediately, I'm sorry. I am currently in technical training for the Air Force and only have minimal time to write.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:44 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
sport muffler
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Fast intentions cat back!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:25 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Whatever you do, go with a true dual from the cats on back. The Sport muffler is just the muffler section but it does sound good IMO. I know this is heresy (and to each his own), I didn't really like the sound of the FI exhaust. I'd personally go with something like the HKS as I like an exhaust that's quiet when it needs to be and loud when you get on it.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:55 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
+1 for the Fast Intentions catback. Great sound with no rasp and high build quality. Should give some decent gains too.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:58 AM
NoahZ
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
If I decide to have a kid I hope he/she turns out just like you!
Great gift!
You're awesome!

I have an ARK Cat-back on my sedan and totally love it. I like the ARK setup so much that I have ARK Test Pipe (HC0900-0010) R-Spec High Flow Cat being shipped to me now. Should be here Tuesday.

R2C Performance Dual Intakes on mine. They soundedgreat until I installed the cat-back. Now I will never here them. I didn't feel any performance differance after they were installed and am actually contemplating putting the stocks back on.

You're a good son.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:03 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
when is your dads birthday? Unless its 4 months away, you will not get a new fast intentions exhaust in time.

take a look at invidia as well, not extremely aggressive but sounds good.

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2017, 01:52 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Whatever you do, go with a true dual from the cats on back. The Sport muffler is just the muffler section but it does sound good IMO. I know this is heresy (and to each his own), I didn't really like the sound of the FI exhaust. I'd personally go with something like the HKS as I like an exhaust that's quiet when it needs to be and loud when you get on it.

The following users liked this post:
Ape Factory (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:13 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
I'd also suggest checking out Youtube videos of the different exhaust brands so that you can hear the differences. Granted, they will sound a little different in person, but it should help to to narrow down the field.

There's also a thread here with several sound clips: https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...er-rattle.html

Last but not least, Thank You For Serving!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:25 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Does he own a sedan or a coupe? Because he has an AWD model, his options are more limited. There's only a handful of exhausts that will fit the AWD model for the sedan.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 AM
ConnorJ177

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Fast intentions cat back!
I've been looking at this one, it's an option for sure
Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM
ConnorJ177

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
I'll check that out, thanks
Old 01-19-2017, 10:34 AM
ConnorJ177

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Does he own a sedan or a coupe? Because he has an AWD model, his options are more limited. There's only a handful of exhausts that will fit the AWD model for the sedan.
He has the AWD Sedan. I guess that does limit what I can do. Are there any brands that specifically fit that?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM
ConnorJ177

Originally Posted by The Pope
I'd also suggest checking out Youtube videos of the different exhaust brands so that you can hear the differences. Granted, they will sound a little different in person, but it should help to to narrow down the field.

There's also a thread here with several sound clips: https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...er-rattle.html

Last but not least, Thank You For Serving!
That's been the process for some time now. But with people sharing the more trusted brands, I feel a lot more confident making a decision. Thank you
Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by ConnorJ177
He has the AWD Sedan. I guess that does limit what I can do. Are there any brands that specifically fit that?

Alot of the recommendations people have suggested in this thread will not work then. For what you are looking for, I really think Fast Intentions fits the bill. The lead time to create the exhaust is long, but it will be worth it. You can maybe send him the invoice on his birthday if the exhaust isn't complete by then. If you do a search on youtube, you will find plenty of examples to hear. Their craftsmanship is excellent and the mufflers look absolutely gorgeous. They have the crown for best looking mufflers. The cherry on top is working with Tony at Fast Intentions. Great guy and will answer any of your questions over the phone or via e-mail.

In addition, you have the Stillen exhaust as an option. With stock cat converters, it's pretty tame around low-medium RPM's, and comes to life at wide open throttle. It fits the AWD model and can be had for roughly $1,050. I currently own the Stillen but am switching to a louder system. The upside to the Stillen is many dealers keep these in stock and would be able to purchase it pretty quickly.
The following users liked this post:
Love2Drive (11-27-2017)