Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

*SOUND CLIP* of the Infamous Muffler Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Ahujadaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahaha, YUP! good capture... u can def hear it once u start gettin on the gas a bit. around 0:40 and onwards u hear it all the way

*shudders*

I wasn't planning on aftermarket exhaust (just bought a new house, feeling poor)... but if the replacement muffler is quieter i hope someone at least builds an axleback exhaust for us... eventually
Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM
wheelsun

so the people that replaced the muffler, exactly how quiet is the new exhaust?

90% of the reason why i bought the car was for the exhaust sound.. lol
Old 03-22-2008, 02:12 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i hate when people are like... i think there is something wrong with your exhaust ...
Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So we are talking about the ratteling sound when he lets off the gas? Ithink i hear it but my laptop sucks.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:23 AM
rl982

well, to be fair - if you are starting the car on a cold start, there will be a slight idling irregular muffle until the car warms up a bit, just when the needle starts to indicate the engine is warming - it goes away. It's normal, but when it starts sounding like a tin can after it's been properly warmed up, I'd get it checked out...

My car does that on a cold start as well, but I don't really complain since it goes away after I give it a go.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:44 AM
en-em

My car makes the rattle sound after a cold start, while shifting gears(1st-3rd especially in DS mode) then it gets barely noticeable, and even after driving the car for a bit and I have to shut it off for 15 or more minutes the sound returns, but is not as loud as a total cold start, until the car warms up again. Oh and sometimes it makes that sound after the car is already warmed up and I'm waiting at long stop lights....which is kind of embarrassing when you have other cars around you looking around to see where that weird sound is coming from and the guy in the 1989 Honda Civic with the paint peeling off, Pep Boys wheels, and Apexi exhaust sound better than your brand new car.

I'm thinking this happens because the metal from the exhaust is cooling so quickly since it's still pretty cool here right now in the northeast US of A, but I'm not sure.

WTF!!! Cold start or not a $40K car should not do that!!!! Heck, any late model car shouldn't do that!!! I've never had my Geo, Honda, Audi, or Mercedes do that!!!

Last edited by en-em; 03-22-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added text
Old 03-22-2008, 12:42 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
the new exhaust sound is really quiet...so quiet that I've decided to go aftermarket now...lol
Old 03-22-2008, 02:02 PM
kiddmaff5646

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
haha i'm glad i'm not the only one! Mine only does it on cold start up.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM
wheelsun

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
the new exhaust sound is really quiet...so quiet that I've decided to go aftermarket now...lol
care to post a sound clip of the revised exhaust?
Old 03-22-2008, 02:30 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Once I get my camera back from best buy today, that will be on top of my list...damn geek squad...
Old 03-23-2008, 11:53 AM
bnguyen85

Yeh mine only makes the sound during cold starts as well. Even at the dealership I noticed that sound on many of their cars on a cold start. But hey when I rev up my engine or gas it hard, it sounds freaking sweet. I don't think I would go for a quieter exhaust. mine sounds wicked as is.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:06 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lemme get this straight is it only present on a cold start for the first 45 sec or so???? do you not hear it after that under throttle or when idling after the car has warmed? sounds like a chainsaw!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 PM
kiddmaff5646

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
only for the first min... then it gets quiet.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 PM
beestea

Exhaust rattle from underneath of car

I know there have been posts here and there about this but I would like to start an "official" post about this problem.

How to tell if you have the issue: Next time you shut off your car and hop out.. pay attention to the metal tinging/pinging sounds from the metal cooling off. Once you have that sound in your head, start up your car and then hop outside while its running. The sound comes from underneath near the middle of the car and will sound just like when the car is cooling off, only its constant. Its pretty loud and now i notice it when im in toll lanes and stuff where I roll down my window while the car is running.

I definitely remember people saying they had this same issue and that the dealer replaced the entire exhaust to fix the problem. If you have had your exhaust replaced because of this can you please reply to this post? Also is there an actual techical service bullitin for this?

I saw a few people post that this is a common problem and you just have to "live with it" but I think its a pretty major issue and definitely the dealer should fix it.

If you are also having this problem please let us know in this thread.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 AM
evildarkness

Mine rattles alot, i am gonna have to bring it in to the dealer to get them to replace it. I went under the car and hit the muffler with my hand it i hear stuff banging around in there.

Quick Reply: *SOUND CLIP* of the Infamous Muffler Rattle