General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help 2012 G37XS Coupe Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:08 AM
maestreym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2012 G37XS Coupe Issues

Hey guys,

Just wanted some insight on what you guys think my issues could be with my 2012 G37XS Coupe. The car has about 84,000 miles on it and has been running great but recently I have run into a couple of issues.

1. Occasionally, when I start the car it seems like the starter / throttle isn't that strong and the car will not start. When I press the starter again then it will kick on. (I think this issue is with clearing the throttle bodies but just wanted to see what is most common)
  2. I recently have been smelling coolant (occasionally) coming out of the vents. It is pretty rare when I smell it but it definitely is coolant. The AC/Heat both work perfectly but I noticed that sometimes the AC will run hot at lets say 70 degrees and feel like 80 and still cool down when I lower it. I took it to a local mechanic and he said the heater core probably is failing but didn't seem too sure. How common is a heater core issue with these cars.
  3. Lastly, I am getting a noticeable rattling sound when I start the car and at low RPMS. The same local mechanic said it is the catalytic converter and that it seems to be deteriorating. Is it a normal thing at this mileage?
Any insight you guys can provide I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Check water in battery if empty or low refill with distilled water
Heater core rarely more likely radiator hose squeeze them and see if they squish or leaking
Probably motor mounts
Old 03-16-2017, 11:38 AM
maestreym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery is newer so would that matter as far as water in it?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by maestreym
Battery is newer so would that matter as far as water in it?
even brand new batteries can be crap (bad cells).

you can get it load tested for free at most chain auto parts stores to see if the battery is the culprit.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:41 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
New batteries aren't shipped full