General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Play in 6speed shift knob

Old 02-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Slideways88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Play in 6speed shift ****

Hey fellow Gs, so recently i went and bought an amazon cue ball shift **** came in the mail andninstalled it right away and really happy with it for some reason i like it more than when i had it in my camaro. Anyways as yall all know from factory infiniti decided to jb weld the freakin stock shift **** making it impossible to remove or almost. Used a strap wrench and with decent effort got the mf off. What i didnt do as advised thru numerious members is to clamp down the base of the shifter. After i got the **** off and lifted the trim pieces i noticed the rubber boot was twisted around the shifter shaft (black). Anyways did i break or tweak something? In neutral before the **** change there was zero play but now a noticeable amount enough to even make the shifting a bit notchy. Anyone experience this to a degree? Is it all in my head?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:22 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Slideways88
Is it all in my head?
Probably!

You should have left well enough alone

Never try to fix anything that isn't broke

Telcoman
Old 02-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Slideways88

Originally Posted by telcoman
Probably!

You should have left well enough alone

Never try to fix anything that isn't broke

Telcoman
Thanks Telcoman u know i didnt just throw that last bit in to be funny, i have a strong gut feeling that your speaking through experience! Its assuring believe me
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (02-18-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
The upper part of the shifter rod is two pieces, separated by a rubber sleeve.
You have twisted the upper part and might of ripped the rubber resulting in a bit of play between the the two parts.

You can try to twist it back, replace the part, or live with it.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Slideways88

Thabks for the reply vq and i think your right i probably just broke the bond or even tore the rubber between the two pieces its still a fairly solid shifter which is what made me think i screwed up the tolerances somewhere in the linkage or bushings at the end shaft or fulcrum point anyways it really isnt a big deal just me being **** about the details. I see ams has an adjustable short shifter ill see what changes if any that makes

Search this Thread