General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help 2011 G37 odometer not logging miles after disconnecting radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:22 PM
RealSuToL
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 G37 odometer not logging miles after disconnecting radio

I was installing a Grom BT box to stream audio. Disassembled the entire center stack, installed the box and reassembled it. Turns out one of the connectors wasn't seated properly and the speedometer, tach, fuel gauge, temp gauge and gauge cluster lcd info wasn't calculating anything. I drove the car a short distance out of necessity. Later I took the dash apart and found the connection issue. I reseated the connector and everything was fixed, except for the odometer. It is not logging miles now and was not when I drove without gauges. I have tried leaving negative battery cable off for 10+ mins. I've also been scouring the internet with no resolutions. Any input on what to do from here?
Old 12-10-2016, 05:06 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by RealSuToL
Any input on what to do from here?
Remove what you did, return to stock and see if everything works.
Maybe what you installed is defective or the cause of the problem.

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 12-12-2016, 04:12 AM
RealSuToL
Registered Member

I've removed the GROM Bluetooth box, but the problem still persists.

Does anyone with intimate knowledge know if driving without the gauge cluster functioning can cause other computers (ecu/bcm/?) to still log mileage and now that its reconnected it detects that there is a discrepancy resulting in the odometer locking itself? Just a theory I have.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:38 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes. The other modules do record miles. Don't play with the AV unit on G37.
Improper connection to AV unit or to AC comp that's in the plastic box above the AV unit can cause some really nasty problems.

This is how my car behave after i removed the HDD from the AV unit: https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post4078355
Old 12-12-2016, 07:43 AM
RealSuToL
Registered Member

I get that it's a finicky system, but I can't be the first person to ever have this issue. I've got a nice 60k mi car other than this issue. I would love someone to suggest a fix. If the fix involves having the dealer re-sync the odo and other computers that's fine. Surely there is SOMETHING that needs to be done.

Edit: I went into the System Diagnostic on the radio. Everything checks out fine except for "Vehicle Speed" is not getting signal. These signals update live and if you put the parking brake on it switches immediately etc. Although, left the menu up for a short test drive and it never gets signal. I would imagine this is related to the no logging miles.

Screenshot of the menu: https://i.imgur.com/jPtquWR.jpg

Last edited by RealSuToL; 12-12-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:58 PM
z_scorpio_z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried connecting GROM BT module as well, and I closed up the dash without testing only to find that none of the audio sources work now, no fm/am/phone bt/etc. I am guessing I forgot to connect some harness.

If someone has a chance, please post of pic of which connectors are connected normally (i have bose (at least speakers have bose on it with xm, no navigation).

On the plus side, I do see GROM under XM but of course there is no sound, lol

On a side note, how can you tell bose apart from stock, I was reading the manuals etc and the trick to enter diagnostic (with audio off, hold back and turn the volume *** I thought was for stock audio but it works on mine to enter diagnostic menu).

Also, if anyone has better trick to get the head unit out, after i unscrew the head unit bottom to screws (that are deep inside), i can't pull the unit out because there is plastic piece (where the bottom plastic tab on the dash snaps in) and the metal stuff above so there is no easy way to pull the unit out. I have to use screw driver and force the audio bracket over the plastic tab, I don't know if there is a better way to take the unit out.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
You must remove the center console trim that's around the shifter, unscrew the screw's that hold the center console (2 in the front and 2 in the back), pull the center console backward about 5cm then will clear the head unit bottom holders.

Check the service manual to see the removal of center console for more info.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:47 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
I assume if the odometer is not working, the speedometer is not working. Is this correct?

The vehicle speed signal starts at the ABS module and is sent to the unified meter and A/C amp via the CAN bus, then it is a single wire to the combination meter.

The A/C amp is just above the radio and maybe you have a loose connection there.

I have studied the factory shop manual for months and I have never read about any data being stored on any other module. If it did, the module would need to be programmed after being replaced and this is never mentioned in the FSM. (My 2001 BMW stores the mileage in 3 different modules)

Only the VIN is stored in the ECU.

Last edited by SonicVQ; 12-21-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:20 AM
RealSuToL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I assume if the odometer is not working, the speedometer is not working. Is this correct?

The A/C amp is just above the radio and maybe you have a loose connection there.
The speedometer and all gauges were not working, but have been restored after discovering the loose connection in the A/C amp connector. Although, the odometer is still not working. The ODO is the only thing that has not been restored. ODO and Trip A/B do not log miles. The rest of the info in the gauge cluster computer display such as fuel econ, avg speed etc.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:46 PM
Mikelit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever found the solution. I am currently experiencing this problem, but I didn't install anything behind the headunit. I was playing with a Meter(BAT) fuse, which I am assuming messed up the odometer, but its the only thing not working.

On random drives, it would in fact count, sometimes for a few miles, sometimes for the whole trip, but it is completely random.