General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:57 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 13_SkylineSedan
Just making sure I read your original post correctly: After your accident, you stood behind the car with your key fob, pressed the trunk open request button, and the trunk opened (for the last time)? If that is true, all of these components including the wiring harness functioned correctly at that time. Now it's possible that during the repair just moving the parts or wiires finalized the failure of one or more of them. But that seems like quite a coincidence.

In any case, if Infiniti says it's "accident related" (even if it's "repair related") and the insurance company will cover it (which they should), then you should go ahead and let them repair it. Your car should be returned to fully functional condition. That's what we have insurance for!

Good luck!

Yes, I pressed the trunk release button after the accident. Infiniti stated that there were 2 wire harness or wires that was smashed/crushed & that could be the culprit. the tech spent a lot of time trying to find the issue & they requested for additional diagnostic time (fee) & was approved from the Nissan body shop.

guess the wire that got smashed/crushed... you can see the copper wires from it so they will try to repair or replace the whole wire which runs to the front of the car... I think that is what Infiniti told me... I just ask how much I owe? & can I keep the loaner

I actually want the q50 but they only have 2 of those & 10+ qx60... hopefully next week I can get a q50. Thanks again for your input. I will update w/ final result if possible.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tite_tite

I actually want the q50 but they only have 2 of those & 10+ qx60... hopefully next week I can get a q50. Thanks again for your input. I will update w/ final result if possible.
Update..

Car still not fixed... BCM replacement looks like..

So does that means my car is covered under-warranty electrical wise after BCM replacment??
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works-g37-estimate.jpg  
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tite_tite
so they set me up w/ the Q50.

inside is way too sportier for a sedan... luv the outside tho.. getting used to the inside features but not straight forward as the G37.

driving wise: no hesitation like the G37 (7AT) on freeway. steering feels like the whole car moves w/ you when turning instead of more like the front. dang the manual sport mode is a beast... didn't realize I was in 1st gear & thought I was in Sport mode only.. sucka is fast!!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works-q50.jpg  
Old 03-02-2016, 02:01 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
So your insurance company just paid $1500 for something that didn't fix the problem. That kinda sucks. (This is all covered, right?)

Bizarre that they think the shorted wiring (which again WORKED immediately after your accident) would have fried your BCM... But replacing black boxes is the go-to repair scheme and I guess these boxes are electronically fragile, so, anything is possible. Sure hope they can solve the mystery.

I don't know about warranty but I would suspect that any Infiniti parts installed by an Infiniti service department to be covered for some period of time.

Have fun with that '50, don't get any tickets.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:59 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

So your insurance company just paid $1500 for something that didn't fix the problem. That kinda sucks. (This is all covered, right?)

Bizarre that they think the shorted wiring (which again WORKED immediately after your accident) would have fried your BCM... But replacing black boxes is the go-to repair scheme and I guess these boxes are electronically fragile, so, anything is possible. Sure hope they can solve the mystery.

I don't know about warranty but I would suspect that any Infiniti parts installed by an Infiniti service department to be covered for some period of time.

Have fun with that '50, don't get any tickets.

Yes, thank god & hopefully insurance covered it. the estimate w/ cost was sent over to insurance company for approval.

they found 2 smashed wires. repaired it but still trunk release button doesn't work. guess bcm is the next step so we'll see..
Old 03-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
For us non professional wrench turners that the "factory trained certified Infiniti technicians" hate to see mess around with our own cars because we supposedly don't know what we're doing, it's good to see that when it comes to electrical gremlins even they don't have a clue and are just guessing and replacing various parts until they get the right one that fixes the problem.

Good luck getting it resolved.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Update..

Got a call fr Infiniti stating my insurance co. Refuse to pay for anymore repair & that they will total my car. Nissan body shop guy is out until Monday so not clear on my options.

Has anyone had this experience before? Where they totaled your car after repair.. What will be my option moving forward? I still luv my G37... Hmmm
Old 03-05-2016, 04:33 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

WTF? I've never heard of that but luckily I've had limited experience with insurance companies. How odd would it be for a somewhat trivial function (electronic trunk opening) to be the tipping point for a "total"? Wow. No thanks to the Nissan and Infiniti repair shops for spending all your insurance money...

I saw your other thread and if your car has 50k miles, kbb puts "good condition" value between 12 and 14k... It sounds like the insurance company believes it's reaching that point and has decided to buy the car from you.

I don't know what your situation is but if it were me (and I had the $) I'd agree to total it and use the money towards a new ride. But... that gives you less than 1/2 the money you'd need to buy a new car... No win.

I told you not to fall for that Q50! Good luck working this out.

Last edited by 13_SkylineSedan; 03-05-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:28 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

WTF? I've never heard of that but luckily I've had limited experience with insurance companies. How odd would it be for a somewhat trivial function (electronic trunk opening) to be the tipping point for a "total"? Wow. No thanks to the Nissan and Infiniti repair shops for spending all your insurance money...

I saw your other thread and if your car has 50k miles, kbb puts "good condition" value between 12 and 14k... It sounds like the insurance company believes it's reaching that point and has decided to buy the car from you.

I don't know what your situation is but if it were me (and I had the $) I'd agree to total it and use the money towards a new ride. But... that gives you less than 1/2 the money you'd need to buy a new car... No win.

I told you not to fall for that Q50! Good luck working this out.
My car actually has 112500 miles... 2010. Think nissan initially told them 5k repair but ended up 14k +. If they knew it would cost $14k +, they would have totaled it fr the get go. Maybe the body shop ways nowadays to get business & make $$$

Lol... Da guy actually ask if I can bring da Q bac today & I told him Monday cuz I planned to have fun w it this weekend..
Old 03-25-2016, 11:31 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Update...

sorry for delay w/ update..

so insurance company decided to issue BCM repair check. Funny 3 way conversation w/ me, Nissan body shop & insurance company. Insurance company asked are you SURE this will be the last repair bill? Nissan body shop said he is pretty confident. Me: said nothing but LOL (in my head).

anywho.. that was about 1-2 wks ago. today got a call from Infiniti stating they replaced the BCM but trunk release button still not working. said they will trace the wires again & see

fyi: insurance company didn't realize the car was repaired & stated if the car has been repaired, we are not totaling (make sense). mess w/ mind stating car is total after repair which i have never heard of before.

so in conclusion...car is NOT repair but im driving another Q man i luv the Q!! gonna be my future car... lol
Old 03-25-2016, 11:34 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

my car value was $17300 if totaled... WOW!! (didn't realize it was that high)

State Farm FTW!!
Old 03-26-2016, 02:16 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Thanks for the update. Nice valuation by State Farm!

I thought the BCM replacement seemed like an odd decision. Kind of a conflict of interest really - when insurance money is available it's like a green light for the service department to do costly repairs... I hope State Farm goes after them for the misdiagnosis and unnecessary expense. And sure glad YOU are not paying these bills.

This single function you are trying to get to work (as it still did after the accident) involves about 4 components plus wires, so you'd think they could solve it.

Then you can turn right around and trade it in for that Q (and use State Farm's valuation!!).
Old 03-26-2016, 11:07 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Then you can turn right around and trade it in for that Q (and use State Farm's valuation!!).
Lol. Master Plan
Old 03-26-2016, 07:54 PM
Envee
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just throwing this out there, but did you jigger with that little button in the glove box? I don't have a clue what it does, but hey, it has a picture of the trunk on it lol.

See here:

Old 03-27-2016, 12:37 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Envee
Just throwing this out there, but did you jigger with that little button in the glove box? I don't have a clue what it does, but hey, it g[/IMG]
Most definitely. I think this controls the trunk switch from inside underneath steering wheel. You should try it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Trunk Release Button Not Working. FOB & Trunk Switch (Inside) Works