General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Throttle Question, please give your opinion :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 AM
SLEV3N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Question, please give your opinion :)

Good morning everybody. I just bought a 2010 G37xS Sedan last week with 45k on it and I absolutely love it, I can see what all the hype is about it, but I had one specific question about it.

My brother bought a 2013 G37x about 2 months ago and I loved it upon driving it for a good amount of time, and his car was VERY lively and jittery like a dog when you walk into the door, the throttle response was immediate and violent with only 20% gas peddle movement.

My car on the other hand the has 3 different stages of gas peddle movement 1. Normal driving 2. Passing speed 3. WOT fast.

My brother's car would get to WOT fast with very little peddle pressure. I've seen threads of people here complaining about that as though it was an issue, but that was the characteristic which absolutely sold me on the car.

My car you have to do a considerable more amount of peddle travel to get to the WOT level of accelerating.

So what's everyone's take on this issue? I've done a fair share of search here and apparently the 7 speed it's a hit or a miss with a lot of people and everybody has their own opinion with it. Frankly I'm ok with the minimal lags, it's not a DSG so I really knew it wasn't going to be blistering fast, and I'm ok with it.

BUT what I'm kind of turned off by my car is I wish it had that sensitivity of my brother's car.

Could it be that my brother's car has 17k miles on it versus 46k? I'm sure 30k more miles has something to do with it.

But if any of you guys know what I'm speaking of, it would greatly put some piece in my head that I'm not crazy lol

But with all that said I'm pretty stoked about my new car, it'll be 1 week old tomorrow
Old 08-05-2015, 02:36 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Could be that the previous owner of your brothers car installed a sprint booster or something similar as well.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 AM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Check to see if the throttle bodies have been cleaned or need cleaning. They may need it if not. They can get pretty dirty. Carbon build up, dirt, grease, etc... causing a slow reaction to yer throttle response.

With 45k miles on it that would be the first thing that comes to mind with yer description.

Premium gas at the pump?

Make sure you have new air filters. Dealerships, car lots, individual sellers, etc... don't always go by the book or fully service the car when selling it. Give her drive train a good look over. Congrats on yer new G...
Old 08-05-2015, 11:58 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
my 2010 drove like crap when i first got it..

i change oil to mobil 1 synthetic 5-30 w/ mobi 1 filter, k&n filter, change spark plugs, use shell premium gas... so kind of like a tune up & it is faster... like night & day... tho it was at 92K miles..

for you, i would do an oil change & premium gas (try shell) & see if it is better.

welcome!!
Old 10-17-2015, 05:58 PM
hooey_b

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tite_tite
my 2010 drove like crap when i first got it..

i change oil to mobil 1 synthetic 5-30 w/ mobi 1 filter, k&n filter, change spark plugs, use shell premium gas... so kind of like a tune up & it is faster... like night & day... tho it was at 92K miles..

for you, i would do an oil change & premium gas (try shell) & see if it is better.

welcome!!
also, look up DIY Seafoam. works like magic.