General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

unexpected revving

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 PM
ratherunique85

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rajpatel
Having weird rev issues in my 08 6MT. Cleaned throttle bodies already and have done multiple ECU resets with the pedal method.

Did cleaning the maf sensor and filters help?
The issue with my idle only happens once in a while so I can't tell if it worked or not.. It usually happens during the middle of the day when it's like 100 degrees and I have my ac on. You might as well clean your filters and maf sensor while you're at it.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:46 PM
rajpatel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratherunique85
The issue with my idle only happens once in a while so I can't tell if it worked or not.. It usually happens during the middle of the day when it's like 100 degrees and I have my ac on. You might as well clean your filters and maf sensor while you're at it.
Hmm okie.. definitely seems like the same issue as me. When it's really hot out, it happens way more quicker. However, when its cooler out, I find I can trigger it to happen by driving hard.

Will try cleaning and popping in new filters to see if that helps.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 PM
ratherunique85

Hmm okie.. definitely seems like the same issue as me. When it's really hot out, it happens way more quicker. However, when its cooler out, I find I can trigger it to happen by driving hard.

Will try cleaning and popping in new filters to see if that helps.
Yeah we seem to have the same issue.. I'm surprised not many people do. Seems like it would be a common issue. Haven't had it happen since cleaning the maf sensor and changing filters. Idle seems to be pretty stable. BUT then again it's only been a day. Let me know how yours goes
Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 AM
rajpatel

Changed my filters and cleaned mafs with CRC MAF Cleaner. Car instantly seems to have stronger idle and doesn't seem like it's choking as much when pulling out of first.

Will let you know how its running after a few days
Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Changed my filters and cleaned mafs with CRC MAF Cleaner. Car instantly seems to have stronger idle and doesn't seem like it's choking as much when pulling out of first.

Most likely that was the culprit. A dirty MAF sensor can make your ECU act like it didnt graduate high school.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM
ratherunique85

How's the car?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:23 PM
rajpatel

Haven't run into the issue yet.

But I don't know if it's solved or the problem just hasn't occurred yet. Weather is also cooling down a bit so can't be sure.

How about you?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 AM
ratherunique85

Haven't run into the issue yet.

But I don't know if it's solved or the problem just hasn't occurred yet. Weather is also cooling down a bit so can't be sure.

How about you?
Hasn't happened yet.. I'm thinking it's fixed.. Although my startup in the mornings sounds a little weird.. Not sure if it's normal. Did you clean your throttle bodies?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 PM
rajpatel

Issue just happened again so looks like its not fixed for me .

On top of that, car surged forward while braking and coming out of second.

Throttle bodies were cleaned by dealer
Old 09-15-2014, 04:41 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Has the car had the transmission software upgrade? I am not sure how far back model year wise the tranny update covered. I had the same problem with the car revving up and lurching forward when the brake was applied. After my update, I have not had another incident, so far.

As GoFightNguyen said and so did the dealer, the RPM’s will increase suddenly with power braking at higher speeds, just as the car would do if you would manually downshift at higher speeds. The car should be engine braking, but car was lurching forward as if the throttle was applied. Ratherunique85 mentioned that the car was lurching forward, which could mean the car was acting as if the throttle was depressed with the brake on.

My incidents happened a couple of times on the e-way, once in DS, one stopping on a 45 MPH road, also in DS, rolling up and lightly braking to a residential stop sign, and creeping up to an exit of a parking lot to try to see around bushes. The last two lower speed ones are tough to explain. Rolling slow, lightly braking, the car shoots up over 4500 RPM, and lurches forward. I called it unintended acceleration, and Infiniti did not like that term. They were trying to blame me for having my foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time. OK, I had the Infiniti rep have the car rolling forward slow and asked to see how hard he has the press on the brakes and also the accelerator to get over 4500. Quite a heavy brake job and your foot has to be quite on the accelerator, which you would not be doing creeping forward. He could not replicate.

As Modme posted, as well as others on this forum:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/207247-help-hidden-dealer-menu-factory-reset-option-removed-menus-from-my-controler.html

There is a “secret” diagnostics menu. Use it to see if you have any error codes. I did after one my incidents. If so, take a picture of it along with a current newspaper to prove the date. I neglected to do that. The dealer ran diagnostics on my G, and it came up clean. I showed them the error code from the diagnostics menu. The look on their faces was priceless and they were speechless. Well they wanted to keep my G for further tests. When I got my G back, they said they could not find anything further. I asked them about the error code. They said there was nothing on the screen to see. If something was there, it must have just magically erased. I pointed out that they saw the error code on the screen and looked dumfounded. Well, they said they really did not see the screen and was just taking my word for it. Ooookay, I think cover up time.

Also, as a disclaimer, and as stated in the above thread, messing with stuff in diagnostics mode can screw things up. Use at your own risk.

I asked Infiniti Consumer Affairs about the error code. After consulting their engineers, they never heard of it. No curiosity on their part that an error code came up that they never heard of. After looking through the service manual, I found the error code listed. The error was for the Brake Control Module, Throttle Control Module, and the Transmission Control Module on the CAMM bus. If you follow the circuit diagram, if there is a burp in the software, funky signals could be sent to the wrong trunk on the CAMM bus.

As for a cover up, when I brought my car into the dealer after my first incident, the service rep said mine was the first case they heard of. A service tech told me on the side that somebody brought in a car the previous week who crashed through his garage wall. The dude was creeping forward putting with his foot on the brake and the car revved up and accelerated. Also, when I called Consumer Affairs the first time, they said they had a half dozen other incidents similar to mine. When I called after my second incident, they said mine was the first case.

I filed a lemon law claim which was all approved to go forward by the state. Infiniti got a stay to wait after the tranny upgrade to see if that would fix the problem. Methinks the software upgrade was not only for funky shifting and throttle lag (both which I also had), but also for unintended acceleration.

Document everything, time, dates, names, and what was told and said when dealing with Infiniti. Also be ready to slap into neutral when braking. I know when I my incidents, it was an oh sh*t moment.

I rambled on, but good luck in getting your issue rectified.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 AM
rajpatel

It happened again yesterday even thought it's cooling down outside. I checked for anything in the diagnostics but they all came up clean.