General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

How do you adjust the headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:24 AM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How do you adjust the headlights?

I am looking to raise my headlights. Like on most new cars I've owned the headlights are aimed a little low. The top of the beam sits at the top of the rear bumper of the car in front of me. I am old fashioned and have found I can see a lot more if the top of the beam sit right below the rear window of the car in front of me.

I went to raise the headlights, but can not find the adjustment screws. Does anyone know where they are? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I would think that you'd have to take it to the dealer to be adjusted. Where the the lights hit the car in front is al relative to your distance from them; but if you raise the beams to see better you will be blinding oncoming traffic which is not only discourteous but very dangerous. You can't see the road well with them as they are???
Old 12-07-2007, 09:56 AM
IP37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good question

i can't see road signs for chit.

my first car with projectors; guess i need to get used to it
Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
iko

There's a reason the lights are aimed this way. Leave it the way it's designed. You'll be fine and the visibility is much better than halogens.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:26 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by iko
There's a reason the lights are aimed this way. Leave it the way it's designed. You'll be fine and the visibility is much better than halogens.
Umm no, you obviously havent seen the drastic difference a highering of the low beams makes. Since they are projectors, the beam is very directional. I almost got into an accident because I did not see the reflection of the reflectors from an empty trailer that was making a turn in front of me. I seen the car, but the trailer that was hooked onto the back of the truck was black, and had reflectors. I didnt see the trailer until I got up closer and I had to literally slam on my brakes unless I was going thru the trailer. I stopped procrastinating and I raised my lights. Holy sh*t the difference was intense. Once I raised them, HID's really brought out their true colors. IMO, the lower beams should be aligned so they point out straight at 90 degree angle perpendicular to the road sorface. Yes you may blind oncoming traffic that is 1/2 a mile away, but who cares, once you near them, they will no longer be blinded. From the factory, the low beams are aimed low, no pun intended. I dont consider this safe for myself. Unfortunately, I think the G37's headlights can only be aimed with the Consult-II tool that Nissan/Infiniti uses. On my 06 Coupe, it has aiming screws and they are very easy to adjust to your liking.

I suggest you take your car to the stealership later during the day, around 6pm, and ask a tech to aim your lights in front of you. A few inches up close really means feet when your factor in distance. Good luck
Old 12-07-2007, 03:26 PM
iko

Originally Posted by chilibowl
Umm no, you obviously havent seen the drastic difference a highering of the low beams makes. Since they are projectors, the beam is very directional. I almost got into an accident because I did not see the reflection of the reflectors from an empty trailer that was making a turn in front of me. I seen the car, but the trailer that was hooked onto the back of the truck was black, and had reflectors. I didnt see the trailer until I got up closer and I had to literally slam on my brakes unless I was going thru the trailer. I stopped procrastinating and I raised my lights. Holy sh*t the difference was intense. Once I raised them, HID's really brought out their true colors. IMO, the lower beams should be aligned so they point out straight at 90 degree angle perpendicular to the road sorface. Yes you may blind oncoming traffic that is 1/2 a mile away, but who cares, once you near them, they will no longer be blinded. From the factory, the low beams are aimed low, no pun intended. I dont consider this safe for myself. Unfortunately, I think the G37's headlights can only be aimed with the Consult-II tool that Nissan/Infiniti uses. On my 06 Coupe, it has aiming screws and they are very easy to adjust to your liking.

I suggest you take your car to the stealership later during the day, around 6pm, and ask a tech to aim your lights in front of you. A few inches up close really means feet when your factor in distance. Good luck
I've been driving on HIDs for nearly 7 years and am very pleased with their enhanced visibility. Even more so with the AFS on my M. If your beams are raised too high you could easily be subject for a ticket or you could also risk blinding another driver and a potential accident. If you don't care about either go do whatever you want.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by iko
I've been driving on HIDs for nearly 7 years and am very pleased with their enhanced visibility. Even more so with the AFS on my M. If your beams are raised too high you could easily be subject for a ticket or you could also risk blinding another driver and a potential accident. If you don't care about either go do whatever you want.
Thank you. But, I wonder if you understand the details. The industry standards are to have the top of beam hit just below the top of the "standard" trunk. In other words, no part of the beam is to enter the vehicle interior (and possibly distract the driver) through the rear window.

In the past ten years or so, manufacturers have set the aim to hit the top of the rear bumper. This allows plenty of compensation when the aim is raised because the trunk is fully loaded and/or the shocks are worn.

I am not talking about raising the beam to a level which will blind other drivers or cause problems. I am talking about raising the beam to the industry standard and remaining in compliance with all requirements.

I certainly can not speak for you, but I have raised the headlight aim on a number of recent cars and it is like opening up a whole new world of night time driving. While you may be happy with the current aim, not having raised your aim means you are not able to comment on the difference.

P.S. Once the beam is raised, the foglights can fill in the gap at the front of your vehicle. It really is a well designed system, except for the ultraconservative factory aim.

Last edited by dmkozak; 12-07-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Gwhiz37

There has been an issue w/ the headlights. They are not aimed correctly as were the G35 beams. I took mine into the dealer during the day and they adjusted them for free. They have had to do quite a few of them. However, if you were not use to the great beams on the G35, you may not realize the beams on the G37 were not aimed right.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by Gwhiz37
There has been an issue w/ the headlights. They are not aimed correctly as were the G35 beams. I took mine into the dealer during the day and they adjusted them for free. They have had to do quite a few of them. However, if you were not use to the great beams on the G35, you may not realize the beams on the G37 were not aimed right.
Are you saying the beams ARE aimed too low and the dealer will raise them? Did the dealer raise them? Do you know how the dealer adjusted the headlights? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

I agree. mine are much too low. i would love to raise them up an inch or two maybe a fw more.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
G37RacerX

I like to have my low beams as high as possible without blinding oncoming traffic.
I have adjusted (raised) the lights on a few of my other cars in the past with excellent, noticeable results. My new G seems just right, no adjustments needed at all IMO, at least on mine...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:12 PM
iko

Headlight adjustment has nothing to do with the height of a "standard" trunk, etc. It has to do with the height of that particular vehicle's headlights. Most adjustments will have you focus the lights so that it is anywhere from a few inches to no more than a foot lower of the center position of the light at a distance of 20 to 25 feet.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:22 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think this is the PURE Reason other cars like Acura TL and Honda S2000 show the color of the projector better, there lights really hit my eye and they have the purple effect, I will definitely do this once I change my bulbs to 6000k and install my HID Fog Kit
Old 12-08-2007, 11:29 AM
mal_TX

Aim them yourself... to DOT specification.

Use this procedure:
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...68#post2027668

And reference the G37 specifics in the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails How do you adjust the headlights?-headlampaiming.gif  
Old 12-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Gwhiz37

In response to some of the posts, I did not do it myself. When I had the first oil change, I told the dealer they were aimed too low. They checked and adjusted them higher under warranty. That's when they informed me this has been an issue w/ the G37s.

Quick Reply: How do you adjust the headlights?