G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2010 G37xS Blue Slate! (Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 PM
someone else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought a 2010 G37xS Blue Slate! (Questions)

Hi guys,

Just bought a 2010 G37xS Blue Slate with around 77,000 miles on it.

I have many questions and I've been lurking already trying to get as much info as possible.

Here's a big question that I found conflicting answers about online:

1. Does the 2010 G37xS get all of the same 'S' trim upgrades that a non AWD (x) model would? I heard somewhere the x S model doesn't get all the S model upgrades but I can't remember where I heard that..

Also...

2. I have the 18" Infiniti Rims, I will need to purchase Summer tires. What is the recommended tire size for the stock Infiniti 18" rim? Will a 245/45R18 fit well? I'm assuming 245/45R18 is recommended as it's thicker/looks meaner?

What are some recommended tires for the car? (brand/model)

Also, while the 18" Infiniti wheels are nice, they are also kind of beat up, I may possibly buy a wheel/tire package for the car. Although I may wait on this.

3. Do you guys recommend getting a warranty? I can get a 1, 2 or 3 year warranty, with varying levels of coverage from FULL to just drivetrain, the price difference isn't too bad from the base package to the full one. I am leaning on getting the full package. It's around $2500 CAD or so for the entire 3 years. Thoughts??? I plan to keep the car as long as possible going forward, and I also plan to drive it relatively hard as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Xs is an appearance package + seats. So it looks like a sport model, and you get the sport seats but mechanically it is the same as an X.

I don't think you need an extended warranty. These are pretty reliable cars.
The following users liked this post:
Coltrane1 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:59 PM
someone else

Originally Posted by iCrap
Xs is an appearance package + seats. So it looks like a sport model, and you get the sport seats but mechanically it is the same as an X.

I don't think you need an extended warranty. These are pretty reliable cars.
Thanks, well that's good to know...

So it doesn't have bigger brakes or anything like the S models?

It has the paddle shifters though.. other X model's don't get that, do they?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:04 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase! To answer:

1. The S package on the AWD model is not as comprehensive as the RWD model. On the AWD model, you get the same sport front bumper and wheels as the RWD model, as well as paddle shifters and sport seats. But the RWD model gets some extra goodies such as tighter steering ratio, big brakes, and thicker sway bars. The S package on the AWD is pretty much just an appearance package.

2. The 18" wheels on the AWD sport is 18x7.5 all around, and the factory size is 225/50/18. The 245s might be too wide and would look too bulging on the narrow 7.5" wheels.

3. If you don't plan on modifying the car, I would say the warranty may be a good idea, but 77k miles is still pretty young and I don't foresee any major problems that would make the warranty a cost-effective item.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:14 AM
canadian bacon

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Huh? I have a 2013 xs coupe.came with the 19,s wheel,big breaks,ect ect.
My big breaks on my xs coupe.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Originally Posted by canadian bacon
Huh? I have a 2013 xs coupe.came with the 19,s wheel,big breaks,ect ect.
My big breaks on my xs coupe.
The xS coupes get the BBK and 19s but xS sedans don't.

My post above was concerning a sedan, which I assumed the OP has since he has the 18" wheels. If he has a coupe then none of my answers apply lol.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:21 AM
canadian bacon

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Ohhh okay.i. Sorry my bad.I thought he was talking coupe.lol.disregard my post....BTW congrats on your new toy.You will not be disappointed.Im on my second G.love em and love the reliability.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 AM
someone else

Originally Posted by the93owner
Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase! To answer:

1. The S package on the AWD model is not as comprehensive as the RWD model. On the AWD model, you get the same sport front bumper and wheels as the RWD model, as well as paddle shifters and sport seats. But the RWD model gets some extra goodies such as tighter steering ratio, big brakes, and thicker sway bars. The S package on the AWD is pretty much just an appearance package.

2. The 18" wheels on the AWD sport is 18x7.5 all around, and the factory size is 225/50/18. The 245s might be too wide and would look too bulging on the narrow 7.5" wheels.

3. If you don't plan on modifying the car, I would say the warranty may be a good idea, but 77k miles is still pretty young and I don't foresee any major problems that would make the warranty a cost-effective item.
Thank you, and thanks for clearing that up!

Living in eastern Canada, I absolutely needed the AWD, so getting a regular RWD S as a year round daily driver is just not an option. The paddle shifters are pretty fun and definitely something I will be using a lot, so at least there's that. Also, the smaller brakes will hopefully save me money when they need replacement vs what the bigger 'S' model brakes cost.

True, the car isn't ancient yet, however I'm not sure how the previous owner(s) drove and cared for the car either. Keep in mind I am getting it from an Infiniti Dealer, so everything should be inspected and whatnot, but still... I am leaning on getting a warranty for the peace of mind; is that foolish? To me, Infiniti is a luxury brand so with that in mind, if something breaks, it will cost $$$ to fix it? I know the engines are pretty bulletproof, but there's still that concern of.. what if.

I do want to be able to look at it from the other side as well.. NOTHING could go wrong and boom, I'm out $2500 or so like a sucker.

Tough choice..
Old 03-22-2017, 12:35 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Originally Posted by someone else
True, the car isn't ancient yet, however I'm not sure how the previous owner(s) drove and cared for the car either. Keep in mind I am getting it from an Infiniti Dealer, so everything should be inspected and whatnot, but still... I am leaning on getting a warranty for the peace of mind; is that foolish? To me, Infiniti is a luxury brand so with that in mind, if something breaks, it will cost $$$ to fix it? I know the engines are pretty bulletproof, but there's still that concern of.. what if.

I do want to be able to look at it from the other side as well.. NOTHING could go wrong and boom, I'm out $2500 or so like a sucker.

Tough choice..
Infiniti is just the luxury brand of Nissan, and Nissan parts are nowhere as expensive as German parts. So if the time comes to fix something, you can get parts for pretty cheap for the most part. Extended warranty is always a gamble, you could come out on top if something big needs repairing, or you could lose that money if nothing happens like you said. If $2500 is worth having peace of mind, then go for it. I'm not sure if they offer different levels of coverage but you might be able to find a middle ground between a warranty that costs less but covers only major components instead of a more expensive bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 AM
someone else

Originally Posted by canadian bacon
Ohhh okay.i. Sorry my bad.I thought he was talking coupe.lol.disregard my post....BTW congrats on your new toy.You will not be disappointed.Im on my second G.love em and love the reliability.
Haha, no worries, thanks for trying.

Appreciate it
Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 AM
someone else

Originally Posted by the93owner
Infiniti is just the luxury brand of Nissan, and Nissan parts are nowhere as expensive as German parts. So if the time comes to fix something, you can get parts for pretty cheap for the most part. Extended warranty is always a gamble, you could come out on top if something big needs repairing, or you could lose that money if nothing happens like you said. If $2500 is worth having peace of mind, then go for it. I'm not sure if they offer different levels of coverage but you might be able to find a middle ground between a warranty that costs less but covers only major components instead of a more expensive bumper to bumper warranty.
Yes, there are different levels.

The base one is simply drive train, engine, tranny, etc.

The next one is drive train + brakes (master cylinder, ABS, etc) + AC + fuel pump, injectors, etc..

The top level one, includes everything + more electrical stuff, like sunroof motor, suspension, etc..

Perhaps a good compromise would be the 2nd option? Thing is.. the top option is only $400 more or so I believe. I will have more information on the pricing tomorrow actually.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site! Glad you've been informed of the differences between the Sport versions of the AWD, RWD, & the AWD coupe, quite a change from model to model, lol.

Agree w/ the93owner, your wheels being only 7.5" wide are pretty narrow for a 245 mount, a 235 would be the widest I'd recommend there.

As far as warranty, life's a gamble, I'd hate to say "don't get it" then your timing gasket fails and you're out $2500, but they are solid vehicles a very high percentage of the time, so this choice is simply up to you, good luck with that one

Now enjoy that ride!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 AM
someone else

Guys... will a base model 2010 G37x have the pre-wiring for paddle shifters?

I can get a 2010 with 50,000km less than what I have for only a few hundred more bucks...
Old 03-22-2017, 10:01 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by someone else
Guys... will a base model 2010 G37x have the pre-wiring for paddle shifters?

I can get a 2010 with 50,000km less than what I have for only a few hundred more bucks...
It should have it. But you might just want to get the sport. The sport seats are way nicer and the front bumper looks much better.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
someone else

Originally Posted by iCrap
It should have it. But you might just want to get the sport. The sport seats are way nicer and the front bumper looks much better.
Gotcha.

But it has.. 50,000km more for essentially an appearance package, and I could add the paddle shifters after.

Planning to keep the car long term, seems like a better bet to get 50,000km less..