G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2010 G37xS Blue Slate! (Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 05:37 PM
gord27
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Another CAD owner chiming in. I bought my car off-lease from a local Infiniti dealership and I added the 4 year, 80k warranty. It was like $3800 with a $100 (or $200) deducatable but I get $1900 back after 4 years if I never use it. 2 years in and haven't used it yet. I'm at 113k, bought it at 66k.

Also, if you're going to get new wheels, don't spend money on tires yet. Use up what tires you got and then get new wheels/tires together. Then use your stock wheels for winter tires.

Whatever you buy, do the grounding mod. It's the only mod I've done so far but totally worth it. Coming from only ever driving stick, this transmission is AWFUL without the grounding mod and JUST bearable with it.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:08 PM
someone else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gord27
Another CAD owner chiming in. I bought my car off-lease from a local Infiniti dealership and I added the 4 year, 80k warranty. It was like $3800 with a $100 (or $200) deducatable but I get $1900 back after 4 years if I never use it. 2 years in and haven't used it yet. I'm at 113k, bought it at 66k.

Also, if you're going to get new wheels, don't spend money on tires yet. Use up what tires you got and then get new wheels/tires together. Then use your stock wheels for winter tires.

Whatever you buy, do the grounding mod. It's the only mod I've done so far but totally worth it. Coming from only ever driving stick, this transmission is AWFUL without the grounding mod and JUST bearable with it.
Thanks man.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I am looking to spend 14-15-16k for under 100,000km (or as low as possible) for a G37x (and hopefully I can add paddle shifters later).

Will definitely keep a note of the grounding mod, ty.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
A month ago I bought a 2010 G37xS sedan with 114k. I passed on the $3000 warranty w/ deductibles. It's my 2nd "x" sedan, the first an '08 G35x. The '08 has 120k, and still going strong, and obviously has "no warranty."

Congrats on your new G37xS!
Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I am not sure exactly what the part is. But, there does seem to be a difference in steering between the X and the XS sedan.

I was checking up something else through discountinfinitiparts.com and came across sections of parts. Looks to be different part numbers for a few items depending if it is a sedan with "AWD with Sport Tuned" or "AWD w/o Sport Tuned"

The original thread I posted, some thought it was for the Coupe. But, it certainly was not as the coupe and sedan had different part numbers.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:55 PM
BionicG35

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to have an S before I moved to the Midwest and got my current xS. The xS definitely does not have the same "sport tuned" suspension or steering as my old S did.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BionicG35
I used to have an S before I moved to the Midwest and got my current xS. The xS definitely does not have the same "sport tuned" suspension or steering as my old S did.
This is obvious and not what I was stating. However, there is a difference from what I see, between an xS and just an X.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 PM
someone else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
This is obvious and not what I was stating. However, there is a difference from what I see, between an xS and just an X.
Do you drive an xS?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:05 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I'm almost 100% sure they are mechanically identical. The difference in steering feel could be the different wheels / tires.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Well, if it means anything, driving my '08x to the dealership, I immediately felt a difference test driving the xS. The latter was much tighter, and displayed a stiffer sport like suspension. It's as if they were not similar cars. I didn't anticipate there being that much of a noticeable difference between driving a 2008 G35x and a 2010xS - But it felt like a night and day difference between both cars, each of which now reside in my garage.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BionicG35
Neat to hear a side by side comparison from someone that owned both the S and xS. Please do share.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 PM
BionicG35

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The S was very tight both in the way that it handled as well as the steering feel. Imagine taking a long swooping turn like an interchange ramp. Then near the end, the road would dip a bit. In the S the car would keep its form throughout, staying nice and flat for the most part and a consistent steering wheel feel. The xS taking the same curve feels fairly tight and flat going in through the beginning of the turn, then starts to feel like the back end is going and kicking up towards the outside. Once you hit the dip, the car feels much less in control. the steering input needs to be more drastically changed, it starts to feel like understeer and then when you counter it feels like the back end will oversteer. In the S I could feel confident to handle the curve at an Interstate speed, while the xS loses its confidence somewhere just above highway speed. The xS still handles way better than your average sports sedan but the S was on par with a sports coupe like the Z.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 AM
gord27
Registered Member

Originally Posted by someone else
Thanks man.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I am looking to spend 14-15-16k for under 100,000km (or as low as possible) for a G37x (and hopefully I can add paddle shifters later).

Will definitely keep a note of the grounding mod, ty.
I paid around $25k, two years ago. Probably overpaid by a couple thousand but needed a car asap at the time and this came with the tech package (auto cruise, etc.) which made it priced higher. I would have preferred one without since the auto cruise sucks in this car. Thankfully you can disable it since I use cruise control all the time.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:31 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gord27
I paid around $25k, two years ago. Probably overpaid by a couple thousand but needed a car asap at the time and this came with the tech package (auto cruise, etc.) which made it priced higher. I would have preferred one without since the auto cruise sucks in this car. Thankfully you can disable it since I use cruise control all the time.
I paid a little more than I should as well when I picked up my 2013 G37xs because it had the tech package. The one option I don't really use for the tech package is the auto cruise as I do not take long trips to use it.

Curious, why do you think it sucks in our car?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:53 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I don't think it sucks. Its one of my favorite features... i use it everyday.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:02 PM
gord27
Registered Member

Curious, why do you think it sucks in our car?
I've driven a Subaru with Eyesight so that's my only real comparison for auto cruise control. For me, the auto cruise in the Infiniti doesn't give you enough warning when you're coming up to someone before it starts braking the car. It also doesn't brake you to a full stop. The Subaru gives you enough warning to check your mirrors, signal your lane change and then move before it starts to slow you down. It will also completely stop the car, if necessary. I know this is like comparing apples to oranges but the Infiniti auto cruise is VERY "first gen" tech.

In addition, out of all the cars I've owned, the Infiniti has the hardest time maintaining a specific speed. Nearly every previous car has been manual so maybe that has something to do with it. However, when I have cruise set for 100 (in an 80 zone) and hit a down hill, the Infiniti cruise will be doing 110+ by the bottom. I find the spread is +/-15Km/h from your setting. That's unacceptable.

The other puzzling feature of the Infiniti cruise control is the ability to switch to manual mode/use the paddles without cancelling cruise control. Having to tap the brake peddle to cancel it is annoying. I know you can press the cancel button but that loses your memory.

Sorry for the long winded response but I've had a lot of time to think about this. The only reason it all stands out is because it's very different than any other car I've experienced.