G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:17 PM
Ubpfc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New owner. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Hi everyone.
Just bought a 2009 G37x with 78,000 miles on it and I absolutely love it. Getting 30-33 mpg on the highway and my mechanic gave it 2 thumbs up. It handles so well even better than my 2009 Audi A4 Quattro which I thought couldn't be beat. Could you guys and girls give me your honest opinion on what you love, hate about owning this great car?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Mattyem
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I love everything except the damn paint and the 7AT transmission
Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by Mattyem
I love everything except the damn paint and the 7AT transmission
Mine is black on black and some of the paint chips are very noticeable. I love the 7 speed transmission though.

Last edited by Ubpfc; 02-28-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:09 PM
c1utchh
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
I am an owner of a 2012 G37xS with 75k almost 76k on it. I'm coming off a 2005 Lexus Ls430 ULP, and a 99 GS430.

Pros: I love to sports bucket seat, the handling in turns is amazing.
The suspension is a lot stiffer. (but i enjoy it)
Acceleration is incredible especially within the 3-4000 RPM range when you're passing someone.
AWD takes on Northeast Snow no problem.
Price of parts and repair is decent, some a bit more cheaper then the Lexus some are more pricey (IE. Akebono pads or rotors)
If you have a Bose premium system, you don't need any audio system adjustments.

Cons:
My personal con so far. Finding the right Wheel to tire fitment in order for it to look amazing and not mess with the AWD tranny.
Another thing is for AWD models, lowering springs and coil overs are scarce in manufacturers that make them.

I dislike that for a premium luxury car or luxury sports sedan it does not drop the mirrors down when you reverse to see the curb. (I find the mirrors to be small for my liking)

Glove box and Center console is very small for space things. I feel they could've utilized the space they could have made like in altimas (plug and play behind shifter, maybe pockets on the side of the console for shotgun side)

thats all i have for now.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:26 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
As mentioned, I hate the 7AT transmission. Now I would love it if the paddle shifters / manual mode had crisp up and downshifts , but they tend to lag a little. If it had crisp shifts like a GT-R, I would be happy with this beautiful car. Some of my n54 friends say my car looks like an alien cause it's so unique haha. But yeah, great car but should've got the 6MT
Old 02-27-2017, 07:28 PM
10infiniti37s
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
As mentioned, I hate the 7AT transmission. Now I would love it if the paddle shifters / manual mode had crisp up and downshifts , but they tend to lag a little. If it had crisp shifts like a GT-R, I would be happy with this beautiful car. Some of my n54 friends say my car looks like an alien cause it's so unique haha. But yeah, great car but should've got the 6MT
I just bought a '10 6MT as my first car😊. I'm learning how to shift but I'm like 90% there. I love driving it regardless. It's a good challenge and will eventually become second nature, or so I've heard haha.

But my paint has chips all over (being Obsidian black makes them really noticeable). Other than that I love it. My dad has an '09 37x and he loves it too.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by c1utchh
I am an owner of a 2012 G37xS with 75k almost 76k on it. I'm coming off a 2005 Lexus Ls430 ULP, and a 99 GS430.

Pros: I love to sports bucket seat, the handling in turns is amazing.
The suspension is a lot stiffer. (but i enjoy it)
Acceleration is incredible especially within the 3-4000 RPM range when you're passing someone.
AWD takes on Northeast Snow no problem.
Price of parts and repair is decent, some a bit more cheaper then the Lexus some are more pricey (IE. Akebono pads or rotors)
If you have a Bose premium system, you don't need any audio system adjustments.

Cons:
My personal con so far. Finding the right Wheel to tire fitment in order for it to look amazing and not mess with the AWD tranny.
Another thing is for AWD models, lowering springs and coil overs are scarce in manufacturers that make them.

I dislike that for a premium luxury car or luxury sports sedan it does not drop the mirrors down when you reverse to see the curb. (I find the mirrors to be small for my liking)

Glove box and Center console is very small for space things. I feel they could've utilized the space they could have made like in altimas (plug and play behind shifter, maybe pockets on the side of the console for shotgun side)

thats all i have for now.
I don't have the "S" just the "x" and the handling is awesome. I do have the Bose sound system (which I know a ton of audiophiles hate on) which I think sounds fantastic. Yes the side mirrors are too small. I didn't get the navigation because in my 2 previous cars that had it we never used it, always use our iPhones. I keep an old iPod classic in the centre console which works great with the sound system.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by SkyG37
I don't have the paddle shifters but I also don't like manual transmission cars (I'm English btw) so not something I need. From a safety point of view I prefer automatics so I can keep my hands where they belong, on the wheel.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:31 AM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by 10infiniti37s
I just bought a '10 6MT as my first car😊. I'm learning how to shift but I'm like 90% there. I love driving it regardless. It's a good challenge and will eventually become second nature, or so I've heard haha.

But my paint has chips all over (being Obsidian black makes them really noticeable). Other than that I love it. My dad has an '09 37x and he loves it too.
Yes ours is black and the paint chips do show noticeably. I think I read in the manual it's called "self healing paint" whatever that is!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Main complaint I have is road noise and ride. My 5 Series handles 95% as well and rides better AND is much quieter. Also, if you compare to German cars a few creature comforts are missing such as power folding mirrors and DRL. It's hard to beat as a daily but I really wish it were quieter inside. Also seems to eat brakes because I have the S model and the rotors warp pretty easily.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by Alcaponed
Main complaint I have is road noise and ride. My 5 Series handles 95% as well and rides better AND is much quieter. Also, if you compare to German cars a few creature comforts are missing such as power folding mirrors and DRL. It's hard to beat as a daily but I really wish it were quieter inside. Also seems to eat brakes because I have the S model and the rotors warp pretty easily.
I appreciate the feedback. Not sure comparing a 5 series really works here though. A 3 series I understand. I've driven a few 3 series and imho they pale in comparison next to the Infiniti G37.
Thanks.

Last edited by Ubpfc; 03-15-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 AM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubpfc
Hi everyone.
Just bought a 2009 G37x with 78,000 miles on it and I absolutely love it. Getting 30-33 mpg on the highway and my mechanic gave it 2 thumbs up. It handles so well even better than my 2009 Audi A4 Quattro which I thought couldn't be beat. Could you guys and girls give me your honest opinion on what you love, hate about owning this great car?
Thanks in advance.
Hey! Congrats! I bought a 2013 Certified Pre-Owned (Infiniti Leased model) G37x with 19,980 miles back in October of 2016, I am not at 26K miles. The G adapts well to performance mods and will surprise you each and every day. I drive a mix of spirited (fast acceleration, DS mode (sometimes manual mode) and normal driving with about 80%-90% city/suburb driving. I average between 17-19 mpg in the cold months and 18-21 mpg in the warmer months. I have a stillen gen3 ultra long cai and a stillen catback exhaust and this combo certainly brings out hidden power and sound. I also have done cosmetic work to my G. The G is so refined and robust that it still stands out and catches eye. To me, the G sedan/coupe still beats current models on the market today (such as competition). Lots of people complain about the interior being bland and outdated (even in the new Infiniti models), however, I love it because I enjoy the simple and just what you need type interior. I hate busty interiors. I do have a bad back so the seats do not suffice for my back, simple adjustments can be made with cushions etc (which is what I have done and I am good now). Keep up with the maintenance, treat it how it should be and it will give you many years of excitement. Overall, great choice and a family member owned a Infiniti J30 and drove it for 19 years (218K miles - still would run today except buyer totaled it). Keep me posted on how things are going! Congrats! Hope my info helps you
Old 03-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I hate my gas mileage, BUT, I don't get on the highway that often, work is close. AWD eating up this snow we just got, almost 30" went down a twisty(Twist Run) unplowed hill and the G was amazing, going up as well.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by g37x2013
Hey! Congrats! I bought a 2013 Certified Pre-Owned (Infiniti Leased model) G37x with 19,980 miles back in October of 2016, I am not at 26K miles. The G adapts well to performance mods and will surprise you each and every day. I drive a mix of spirited (fast acceleration, DS mode (sometimes manual mode) and normal driving with about 80%-90% city/suburb driving. I average between 17-19 mpg in the cold months and 18-21 mpg in the warmer months. I have a stillen gen3 ultra long cai and a stillen catback exhaust and this combo certainly brings out hidden power and sound. I also have done cosmetic work to my G. The G is so refined and robust that it still stands out and catches eye. To me, the G sedan/coupe still beats current models on the market today (such as competition). Lots of people complain about the interior being bland and outdated (even in the new Infiniti models), however, I love it because I enjoy the simple and just what you need type interior. I hate busty interiors. I do have a bad back so the seats do not suffice for my back, simple adjustments can be made with cushions etc (which is what I have done and I am good now). Keep up with the maintenance, treat it how it should be and it will give you many years of excitement. Overall, great choice and a family member owned a Infiniti J30 and drove it for 19 years (218K miles - still would run today except buyer totaled it). Keep me posted on how things are going! Congrats! Hope my info helps you
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I also love the clean, simple interior design (mine is black/silver).
I owned a corvette a few years ago and I must say I am so impressed with the engine sound and pick up speed of this v6 automatic. Not what I was expecting at all.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:08 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
The Good - Holy comfort Batman. Great mix of luxury and power without being saturated one way at the expense of the other. AWD being AT only sucks but man does it eat snow and ice for dinner.

The Bad - Bumper is an absolute PITA to remove. 2012 model = lots of hidden bolts old DIY removals don't know about...Aftermarket support for AWD is just a little lacking.

The Ugly - Indecisiveness of the AT and hard shifting of the AT while driving casually. Great when having fun in DS or DS + manual but just casual driving it gets irritating and I'm concerned it's going to explode it's so harsh sometimes.