G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Ubpfc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
The Good - Holy comfort Batman. Great mix of luxury and power without being saturated one way at the expense of the other. AWD being AT only sucks but man does it eat snow and ice for dinner.

The Bad - Bumper is an absolute PITA to remove. 2012 model = lots of hidden bolts old DIY removals don't know about...Aftermarket support for AWD is just a little lacking.

The Ugly - Indecisiveness of the AT and hard shifting of the AT while driving casually. Great when having fun in DS or DS + manual but just casual driving it gets irritating and I'm concerned it's going to explode it's so harsh sometimes.
Thanks for the great response. I won't be doing any changes to mine so that's not a priority to me. All I do is daily drive and cruise control at 65 so this is the perfect car. If I need a little extra power to get ahead of someone this car delivers. I love automatics and don't miss manual changing at all.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
I hate my gas mileage, BUT, I don't get on the highway that often, work is close. AWD eating up this snow we just got, almost 30" went down a twisty(Twist Run) unplowed hill and the G was amazing, going up as well.
I haven't had a chance to use it in the snow/ice yet but that was one of the main selling points to me. A car that gives you confidence in any weather conditions.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:27 AM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubpfc
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I also love the clean, simple interior design (mine is black/silver).
I owned a corvette a few years ago and I must say I am so impressed with the engine sound and pick up speed of this v6 automatic. Not what I was expecting at all.
That is awesome. We have the same interior color. Yes, the VQ engine is a favorite of mine. Certainly lives to its reputation. If you add a nice CAI and exhaust, you'll get a few more HP and the G will just drive more free-flowing. Throttle response will be at your command.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:58 AM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by g37x2013
That is awesome. We have the same interior color. Yes, the VQ engine is a favorite of mine. Certainly lives to its reputation. If you add a nice CAI and exhaust, you'll get a few more HP and the G will just drive more free-flowing. Throttle response will be at your command.
Haha. My lead foot days are done so no upgrades for me. I'm all about the mpg. I think 320 hp is more than enough for a dd.
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (04-03-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 PM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Haha. My lead foot days are done so no upgrades for me. I'm all about the mpg. I think 320 hp is more than enough for a dd.
Haha, I get you. Well, enjoy
Old 03-15-2017, 12:24 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Oddly enough, the power is quite satisfying for me and I usually mod everything. Coming from nothing but econo cars because that was all I could afford; because of both price of car and gas. Up until a year ago, an RX8 was the most "powerful" car I'd driven; then I drove my dad's 69 Firebird and that was that. I needed something with something more.

The G isn't the fastest car in the world but I've yet to find myself in a situation where I needed more power. Basic bolt-ons for now, but no header, motor mounts, etc to squeeze out more horses like I did with other cars. When the time comes - if it comes, I've decided she will get a built motor and boost.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Oddly enough, the power is quite satisfying for me and I usually mod everything. Coming from nothing but econo cars because that was all I could afford; because of both price of car and gas. Up until a year ago, an RX8 was the most "powerful" car I'd driven; then I drove my dad's 69 Firebird and that was that. I needed something with something more.

The G isn't the fastest car in the world but I've yet to find myself in a situation where I needed more power. Basic bolt-ons for now, but no header, motor mounts, etc to squeeze out more horses like I did with other cars. When the time comes - if it comes, I've decided she will get a built motor and boost.
I agree. 0-60 in around 5.6 seconds is sufficient for my needs. I'm not racing it I'm just dd'ing it.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey! Congrats! I bought a 2013 Certified Pre-Owned (Infiniti Leased model) G37x with 19,980 miles back in October of 2016, I am not at 26K miles. The G adapts well to performance mods and will surprise you each and every day. I drive a mix of spirited (fast acceleration, DS mode (sometimes manual mode) and normal driving with about 80%-90% city/suburb driving. I average between 17-19 mpg in the cold months and 18-21 mpg in the warmer months. I have a stillen gen3 ultra long cai and a stillen catback exhaust and this combo certainly brings out hidden power and sound. I also have done cosmetic work to my G. The G is so refined and robust that it still stands out and catches eye. To me, the G sedan/coupe still beats current models on the market today (such as competition). Lots of people complain about the interior being bland and outdated (even in the new Infiniti models), however, I love it because I enjoy the simple and just what you need type interior. I hate busty interiors. I do have a bad back so the seats do not suffice for my back, simple adjustments can be made with cushions etc (which is what I have done and I am good now). Keep up with the maintenance, treat it how it should be and it will give you many years of excitement. Overall, great choice and a family member owned a Infiniti J30 and drove it for 19 years (218K miles - still would run today except buyer totaled it). Keep me posted on how things are going! Congrats! Hope my info helps you
Hi Brandon,

I would love to see your car. Any photos you can share please?

I recently bought a '10 G37xS in Graphite Shadow and would love to see the same car lowered with AM wheels and tires. Thank you.

Hi everyone.
Just bought a 2009 G37x with 78,000 miles on it and I absolutely love it. Getting 30-33 mpg on the highway and my mechanic gave it 2 thumbs up. It handles so well even better than my 2009 Audi A4 Quattro which I thought couldn't be beat. Could you guys and girls give me your honest opinion on what you love, hate about owning this great car?
Thanks in advance.
Congrats Ubpfc! We've recently acquired now our 2nd G37 having owned an '08 G37x since new. That '08 now has 119k and has had very low maintenance, knock on aluminum! All we've done is regular factory maintenance on that car - In fact, we're still on our 2nd set of tires, Michelin's, since replacing the factory tires at 45k...that sounds crazy I know.

Recently we've purchased a '10 G37xS w/ 114k which has a few more features than our other G37x. That car appears as if it was a highway mileage car and its ride is tight and smooth. I'm a big fan of the 7AT on the newer '10 model, and much prefer it to the 5sp AT in the '08 model. I always wanted to own a 5 or 3 series BMW, but after owning an '05 BMW X5 and dealing with higher maintenance costs we've remained an Infiniti family. Welcome to Infiniti!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Ubpfc

Originally Posted by Coltrane1
Hi Brandon,

I recently bought a '10 G37xS in Graphite Shadow and would love to see the same car lowered with AM wheels and tires. Thank you.

Congrats Ubpfc! We've recently acquired now our 2nd G37 having owned an '08 G37x since new. That '08 now has 119k and has had very low maintenance, knock on aluminum! All we've done is regular factory maintenance on that car - In fact, we're still on our 2nd set of tires, Michelin's, since replacing the factory tires at 45k...that sounds crazy I know.

Recently we've purchased a '10 G37xS w/ 114k which has a few more features than our other G37x. That car appears as if it was a highway mileage car and its ride is tight and smooth. I'm a big fan of the 7AT on the newer '10 model, and much prefer it to the 5sp AT in the '08 model. I always wanted to own a 5 or 3 series BMW, but after owning an '05 BMW X5 and dealing with higher maintenance costs we've remained an Infiniti family. Welcome to Infiniti!
I test drove a few 3 series BMW's and thought they seriously lacked in the comfort and design of the cabin. The last one was a 2011 xdrive and it looked like it was from the 70's inside. Only one drove well the other 2 were absolutely crap. Night and day compared to the luxury of the G37x.
Coltrane1 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Hi Brandon,

Hey Coltrane1
Of course!!! I uploaded some here for you.
How do you like your 10 G37xS? They look so sharp in graphite shadow color. Enjoy. Looking forward to hearing back.
Attached Thumbnails New owner. The good, the bad and the ugly.-photo886.jpg   New owner. The good, the bad and the ugly.-photo991.jpg   New owner. The good, the bad and the ugly.-photo579.jpg   New owner. The good, the bad and the ugly.-photo375.jpg   New owner. The good, the bad and the ugly.-photo252.jpg  

Coltrane1 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. Not sure comparing a 5 series really works here though. A 3 series I understand. I've driven a few 3 series and imho they pale in comparison next to the Infiniti G37.
Thanks.
Hence the comparison to the 5 Series. Drove anything from a base 328i to a 335 coupe with all sport options and I found it profoundly boring compared to the G. The 5 Series is LIGHT YEARS better than the 3, considering the 3 is supposed to be the sportier car.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey Coltrane1
Of course!!! I uploaded some here for you.
How do you like your 10 G37xS? They look so sharp in graphite shadow color. Enjoy. Looking forward to hearing back.
Thanks g37x2013! Your car looks fabulous w/ the black trim!

Do you intend to do a Swift coil change to lower it or are you keeping it at OEM ride height?

I agree, I'm a fan of the Graphite Shadow. It's what attracted me to the car. My '08 G37x is Blue Slate, which I was never a fan of but it's the Mrs. driver and she's happy with that color.

As stock the 2 cars ride differently, as the G37xS feels like a stiffer suspension. Then again, each has different tires, so not a direct comparison. I'm thinking of doing a Swift/Hotchkis addition to dip my toe into lowering the car and hopefully gaining greater handling capability. Fingers x'd.

Thanks for replying!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:13 PM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Thanks g37x2013! Your car looks fabulous w/ the black trim!

Do you intend to do a Swift coil change to lower it or are you keeping it at OEM ride height?

I agree, I'm a fan of the Graphite Shadow. It's what attracted me to the car. My '08 G37x is Blue Slate, which I was never a fan of but it's the Mrs. driver and she's happy with that color.

As stock the 2 cars ride differently, as the G37xS feels like a stiffer suspension. Then again, each has different tires, so not a direct comparison. I'm thinking of doing a Swift/Hotchkis addition to dip my toe into lowering the car and hopefully gaining greater handling capability. Fingers x'd.

Thanks for replying!
Thank you so much!!

For now, I'll stay at the OEM height. It snows by me so I don't want to deal with any troubles.
The blue slate is amazing though, I'm not a fan of blue cars. That color stands out.

The G37xS is nice. I drove a 2009 with 111K, drove amazing. The suspension is tighter on the sport model. The seat for one.

Any photos?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:11 PM
QuinnDEskimo
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
The good: Acceleration, appearance, handling. The power on the highway is instant and smooth, it's nice to pass without having to completely floor it. The look of the sedan is by far one of the nicest looking sedans on the road even for a design that came out in 2007, it's still beautiful. The G handles great even without AWD it sticks to the road pretty good. It's no WRX (my previous car) but it takes corners nicely. Although I miss the turbo and AWD I love the interior refinement much better than the Subaru and the G is much "classier".

The bad: The wrap/trim whatever they use on the interior scratches much too easily. I have nicks everywhere. My biggest complaint for this car is interior storage for the front seats. There is almost no storage I have an umbrella in the driver door, sunglasses case in the center console and no room for anything in glove compartment with the manual in there. The cup holders are tiny and you have to have slim cups if you want to fit two in it at the same time.

The ugly: That damn chrome spoiler thing they put on the trunk!! I just bought the sport spoiler because I can't stand that little spoiler looking thing in the back. It looks like Nissan designers couldn't figure out if they wanted a spoiler or not so they slapped a piece of chrome on the trunk.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:24 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by c1utchh

I dislike that for a premium luxury car or luxury sports sedan it does not drop the mirrors down when you reverse to see the curb. (I find the mirrors to be small for my liking)
There's a module for that.
KP Technologies