Affordable Street Coilovers on an X.... any reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Affordable Street Coilovers on an X.... any reviews?

Seems like X's are much more challenging to shop for than the RWD's.

What I'm looking for personally:
  1. 1.5" front drop, 1.2 rear.
  2. Comfortable for dailying if adjusted properly. I'm looking for a near stock quality ride.
  3. I'd like coilovers that I can basically ride near stock height on the highest settings (optionally at least).

Not looking for anything for serious racing, maybe something decent for an auto-cross but that's about it.

I don't think I could go down much further than the above measurements, I got some beefy tires.

As far as why coils over just springs? Well my car has 116k miles and I really don't want to throw some springs on high mileage struts. Buying Struts and springs would be about the same as some coilovers so it seems less wasteful.

Thanks fella's!

Pic for what I'm currently dealing with I attached.
Attached Thumbnails Affordable Street Coilovers on an X.... any reviews?-16790820_10208309028275810_1750345148_n.jpg  
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...r-options.html

^ this
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 11:49 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
I have Ksport coilovers, they ride pretty well considering their price point. They are true style coilovers. They are a little bouncy on bad roads but on the highway and over minor bumps in the city they have no problems. Daily driven for 18 months/10k miles and they are holding up great.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:41 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lt8Che
Kind of useful, I guess I'm surprised how few people have feedback in that thread though. X's just aren't popular modded cars I guess.

Originally Posted by the93owner
I have Ksport coilovers, they ride pretty well considering their price point. They are true style coilovers. They are a little bouncy on bad roads but on the highway and over minor bumps in the city they have no problems. Daily driven for 18 months/10k miles and they are holding up great.
The front spring rates seem so high, just makes me nervous. When people say K-sport is the only true coilover type in the rear, what do they mean? I can't really tell a difference in the pics.

The fortune 500's with swift springs seems interesting, but rather expensive.

Last edited by SupraOfDoom; 02-18-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:52 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
For the mild drop that you want you might consider just going w/ Swift lowering springs if you can get by w/ just a single height setting.

BCs also make true coilover setups and I think Stance does as well.

The "true" coilover setup means the rears are the same as the fronts, an integrated spring/damper, on the "oem" setup the rear has separate springs that fit into the lower control arm (aka spring bucket) w/ separate shocks.

The true coilover setup allows you to remove that spring bucket if you want and get toe arms to adjust toe rather than the toe bolts that are currently connected to the spring bucket.
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
Coltrane1 (03-13-2017), Lt8Che (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Kind of useful, I guess I'm surprised how few people have feedback in that thread though. X's just aren't popular modded cars I guess.

The front spring rates seem so high, just makes me nervous. When people say K-sport is the only true coilover type in the rear, what do they mean? I can't really tell a difference in the pics.

The fortune 500's with swift springs seems interesting, but rather expensive.
Yeah, they're are a couple of options but not too many reviews. Most are a little pricey due to the fact that the X'ers aren't too crazy on modding. I'm starting to look into it more and more and want something more suited towards racing and adjustability, but that will be pricey as well.

I think the front springs rate is so high due to the transfer case adding weight. I'm also in favor of the true coilovers to ditch the spring bucket.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:52 PM
G-shock12

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just purchased a set of Used BC coil overs for my 09 X Sedan from a member on here.
The ones i got have the update rear shocks that dont make any noises

Getting them installed this upcoming monday, so i'll report back on how they work out.

I was initially considering swift springs + OEM shocks, but my car has 93k miles and i didn't want to just get replacemt oem shocks
SupraOfDoom (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G-shock12
I just purchased a set of Used BC coil overs for my 09 X Sedan from a member on here.
The ones i got have the update rear shocks that dont make any noises

Getting them installed this upcoming monday, so i'll report back on how they work out.

I was initially considering swift springs + OEM shocks, but my car has 93k miles and i didn't want to just get replacemt oem shocks
Thanks keep me posted if you can remember.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:29 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I went with Stance XR1 true-type coilovers for my 2012 G37x, I'll be installing them in the coming weeks. SPL front and rear camber arms as well.

13/8k Swift spring rates, I paid $1307 shipped on Black Friday from Lance @ NextLevelPerformance (1cleanG on the forums).

Great vendor!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:13 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I went with Stance XR1 true-type coilovers for my 2012 G37x, I'll be installing them in the coming weeks. SPL front and rear camber arms as well.

13/8k Swift spring rates, I paid $1307 shipped on Black Friday from Lance @ NextLevelPerformance (1cleanG on the forums).

Great vendor!
May I ask why you went with Swift? Isn't there an up charge for that? Are the spring rates much different?

Also one more question for anyone who may know, are the G35x(07+) and G37x(coupe/sedan) suspensions all interchangeable? Basically I want to know if the X's have all the same suspension 07+ up.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:24 AM
G-shock12

I got the BC Coils installed yesterday and am pretty impressed so far. They need a few days to settle, then i'll get a final height adjustment + alignment before i can give you a full review. Hopefully by the beginning of next next.

Camber kits will definitely be needed, especially rear.
SupraOfDoom (02-21-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
[/QUOTE]Also one more question for anyone who may know, are the G35x(07+) and G37x(coupe/sedan) suspensions all interchangeable? Basically I want to know if the X's have all the same suspension 07+ up.[/QUOTE]

Yes they are all interchangeable in the sense that they will physically fit but there may be some differences in the spring rates.
SupraOfDoom (02-25-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:49 PM
G-shock12

My car has been in the in the shop since tuesday. Finally got it back this AM and commuted to work, which is 54 mile commute of Highway + Various types of local roads

Got F+R camber kits installed, Alignment, and Slight Height adjustment
Its currently sitting at around 26" from ground to top of the fender on all four corners, but i may slightly lower the front because it looks higher than the back. After a lot of experimenting, all dampers have been set to 19 clicks from the stiffest setting

Ride Quality / Handling: Not bad at all, only feels slightly "bouncy" at low speeds on very uneven roads. On the highway, car feels very stable and planted. Handling has improved quite a bit. I have an aftermarket rear sway bar as well

Overall Im very happy with the set up, and most importantly my wife hasn't complained about the ride quality

Other Notes:
- During the fist week, before getting everything adjusted, the coilovers settled and the drop was pretty uneven
- The Preloads in the back need to be correctly set or you will get clunking sounds. No noise after everything got adjusted
- Dampers were initially set much stiffer. This made for a bumpy ride and going over large bumps on the highway was a bit scary, as the car seemed to lose traction (i recommend at least 17+ clicks from full stiff for a more comfortable ride)
- This Was a pretty expensive modification, even with buying used coilovers. Installation and parts added up very quickly (i don't plan on telling my wife how much i spent...at least for a while)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:51 PM
JM Auto Racing
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
D2 Racing also make a really great setup for these vehicles. Very popular among X owners.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 AM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar

Great vendor!
A newb' here whose recently acquired his second family "x" this time in a '10xS, to match the Mrs previously new '08x - I've been reading up on your build with anticipation of each coming page - Great pics 2!

RE - Stance - what's the deal with the lack of reviews? I'm seeing lots of reported "group buys" and "purchases" but literally no return reviews - Odd, particularly since wasn't this one of the first CO's compatible with the "X" G37's?

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration with your build and I can't wait to hear your impression of the Stance XR1's. I'd like to get started on my own build after acquiring a Hotchkis set, but still haven't any idea if the Stance - Swift upgrade is the way to go