G37 Sedan

High treadwear

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 07:24 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
High treadwear

So I admit that I drive pretty aggressive. I'll also state that I have the Michelin Pilot A+S (non plus newer model). OEM 18" sizes on my Sport. I have a largely disproportionate wear pattern in the middle as if I overinflated the tire for a long time. My mechanic said it's just "traction wear" from the fact that it's a RWD with staggered non-rotated tires and driving aggressive. I assumed that the Michelin's (with a 500 treadwear) would be lasting longer. I am finding myself breaking lose much more often in the rear too after about 10k miles. It's not just that the tread is lower in the middle (still 3-5mm), the tire seems to be losing grip more constantly, such as a 270 on ramp or pulling out with a turn. And yes, my PSI is in spec...28-30 (doorsill notes 31 max last I recall).

Has anyone else had this type of wear...and is it something I just have to accept with this car? Because I bought the most expensive A/S tires on purpose to have great traction and great wear...not one or neither. If I had known that the tread in the rears was only going to last 15-20k I think I would have repurchased by Potenza S-04 Pole Positions. And what really irks me is it's just the rears. Front's are flawless.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:29 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
I have about 30,000 on my tires and I drive very aggressively and still have a few miles left on the tires.

However, my other older daily driver G35 (RWD) ate through the rear tires in less than 10,000 miles completely where the fronts look almost new.

I had the alignment checked and it was really bad.

Check your alignment.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Tread depth doesn't efrect dry road grip, unless the tread is gone, and you're riding bald on the rubber under the tread... which you aren't.

The wear pattern you're describing is over-inflation, and yet you keep your tires under 30 lbs pressure. You say there's 3-5mm depth in the middle, but compared to what outside the middle? Also, if you're at 3mm, it's time to start planning for new tires in another 5k or so. Because you're running A/S instead of 3-Season tires, I suspect you made that choice because of occasional winter snow (NC climate notwithstanding). 3mm is going to suck for mud & snow, or heavy rain. Drive slow when that happens.

Whatever is going on here, take comfort in knowing that you're responsibly paying attention to it. That's more than most people.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
What size tires are you running on the rear?
Old 12-11-2016, 01:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
What size tires are you running on the rear?
I believe he says they are OEM 18" staggered sizes, that kind of wear is typical of a pinch mount (having a wheel that's too narrow) so the center of the tread is bit higher. Would be interested in confirmation of that rear size.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:39 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

245 50 r18
Old 12-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Staggered OEM rears on the Sedan are 245-R45/18.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:01 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Staggered OEM rears on the Sedan are 245-R45/18.
Fronts are 225-50-R18.
Rears are 245-45-R18. Got some specs confused haha.

So I just checked, both rear tires are mirrors of themselves. Outside to inside (4 blocks of tread btw) measure as follows (approximately of course):

(_ _ _ _)
6 4 3 5

Now I know the 6 and 5 are that way due to 2.0 degree's of camber. No problem...I can accept that. But the inside...woof. Third treadblock is at the safety line! WTH!!!

What issues would arise if I kept my fronts as Pilot A/S 3's (best A/S tire on market) and installed Potenza S-04 Pole Positions on the rear? I mean, if I'm gonna blow through tires every 10-15k...screw it, might as well roll summer it seems. Only reason I even got A/S is because of the random snowfall in NC...once a year...but usually only for a few days at a few inches. Ughhh I'm so irritated.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
Fronts are 225-50-R18.

So I just checked, both rear tires are mirrors of themselves. Outside to inside (4 blocks of tread btw) measure as follows (approximately of course):

(_ _ _ _)
6 4 3 5

Now I know the 6 and 5 are that way due to 2.0 degree's of camber. No problem...I can accept that. But the inside...woof. Third treadblock is at the safety line! WTH!!!

What issues would arise if I kept my fronts as Pilot A/S 3's (best A/S tire on market) and installed Potenza S-04 Pole Positions on the rear? I mean, if I'm gonna blow through tires every 10-15k...screw it, might as well roll summer it seems. Only reason I even got A/S is because of the random snowfall in NC...once a year...but usually only for a few days at a few inches. Ughhh I'm so irritated.
Mixing A/S & Summers isn't recommended, the characteristics regarding grip and performance at various temperatures and speeds will be quite different between the two. I'd try to get that alignment in spec first, then when the time comes for new tires get a matching set in the type you want.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:22 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I have always felt that the treadwear ratings tell the full story. You can have tires with 300 treadwear like the Pilot SS and Tires like the AS/3 which have a 500 treadwear rating and the AS/3 will give you 10% greater wear. At least in the rear. I wish the wheels were 8" all the way around, I plan on putting 245s on the front to be able to rotate them, but I wonder how awkward it would be having the 8.5" wheel in the front.

A friend of mine told me that a tire shop accidentally put the wider tires on the front and it was almost undriveable. He quickly discovered their mistake. I have mixed winters and summers, it is okay when the winter is in front. Not the other way around. I currently have Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 I hope to get a good mileage on them.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
Fronts are 225-50-R18.

(_ _ _ _)
6 4 3 5

Similar issue I had on a different RWD car. My camber was 2.1 or so due to natural lowered camber (no adjustment) but the toe on the rear was out and caused MAJOR wear much like the pattern you're mentioning. I would get it on an alignment rack ASAP. Does the car feel a little less stable?
Old 12-12-2016, 01:20 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Originally Posted by r2dmax
Similar issue I had on a different RWD car. My camber was 2.1 or so due to natural lowered camber (no adjustment) but the toe on the rear was out and caused MAJOR wear much like the pattern you're mentioning. I would get it on an alignment rack ASAP. Does the car feel a little less stable?
The car doesn't feel less stable per se. It definitely breaks out a whole lot easier than it did a few months ago. I mean, I only had the tires installed in October of last year. Like 15k miles ago. I guess I am just in shock at how quickly they went. I guess I should have known. When I bought the car at 32k it already had newish S-04's on, which clearly are not OEM.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:30 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
If the alignment is out, it will kill even a high treadwear tire. If the toe is off front and/or rear it's like dragging the tire everywhere you go. Look at the shoes of someone who shuffles (doesn't pick up their feet). Same principle
Old 12-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running the AS 3s on my sport model and have had the same problem even though I drive it conservatively. The rears tend to wear in the middle and evaporate in 19k miles or so. Alignment is perfect. This last round I swapped to the AS3+ and hope I get better mileage. If not, I'll have to swap to another brand since the cost per day for tires is staggering when you only get 19k on the rears. He fronts typically get 30k. Previously I've used Bridgestone AS tires and gotten 35k or so from the set, so the problem is with the michelins.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:14 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Silver37
I'm running the AS 3s on my sport model and have had the same problem even though I drive it conservatively. The rears tend to wear in the middle and evaporate in 19k miles or so. Alignment is perfect. This last round I swapped to the AS3+ and hope I get better mileage. If not, I'll have to swap to another brand since the cost per day for tires is staggering when you only get 19k on the rears. He fronts typically get 30k. Previously I've used Bridgestone AS tires and gotten 35k or so from the set, so the problem is with the michelins.
son of a bitch...well. glad i'm not crazy at least.