Sponsored by:

G37 sedan intermittent starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 04:00 AM
ck1109

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G37 sedan intermittent starting problems

Hey all,

So I'm seeing a weird issue with my G37 sedan. Twice now, I've run into an issue where the car will not start, i.e. the steering wheel is locked, the ignition stays in ACC = Lock. No messages on the dash other than the blinking red key icon which goes away after a while.
Another thing I've noticed is that the keyfob lock/unlock no longer beeps when this happens.

However, the next day, when I go back to the car, it starts up just fine.

I've taken the car to the dealership twice, but they haven't been able to replicate the issue and they're telling me everything's fine.

I will note that I have had the BCM and the battery replaced recently.

Most searches on this topic seem to hint towards battery issues, battery drains or bcm problems.

The dealership assures me its not the bcm.

I can go through the steps to test the battery and drain, but logically, a battery drain doesn't seem likely because once the battery is drained I shouldn't be able to start the car again the next day (right?) unless it found a way to charge itself again?

Any suggestions on what else can be looked at? Perhaps the anti-theft or locking system is being funky? Is there any way to test it?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:08 AM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Hey ck1109,

see if this thread helps and/or is the problem: (I had a similar issue)
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...f-problem.html

does your car fall into :

2010-2012 year model?

see this TSB:

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB12-024.pdf
Old 12-01-2016, 11:42 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Damn almost missed it. Funny you guys ask, but it felt like my car did this tonight. I believe that I had pressed the start, when the pedal was off. The second time it did crank. Perhaps I didn't give enough break the first time.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Been living with this for maybe 6 months now.

First, I replaced the keyfob battery, and that did nothing. Then I replaced my 6 year old car battery, and the problem went away for about a week, to where I was convinced problem solved. However, it started creeping back and I'm living with it again, like a freaking in-grown toenail. My next step is to clean up the electrical connections at the starter.

IDK about you guys, but if I've been driving the car somewhere and go to start it again after a short stop, it works just fine... starts immediately. But if it sits more than a little bit, or overnight, then the likelihood is high that I have to do this stupid dance.

Not happy about this. There's always that nagging fear about getting stuck somewhere with an unresponsive ignition.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:42 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
That does suck. I try not to take short trips on the new car, but I have always been like that. It started up right away for me. I saw a video on the starter, it doesn't look too hard to get to. My BMW had a write up of 4.5 hours. This Guy I have gone to for years did it in about an hour or so and charged me 1.5 hours.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:00 PM
ck1109

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealership is saying that it's due to water leaking from the passenger side sunroof drain into the wiring harness connectors.

Has anyone else seen this before?

$800 bucks worth of labor to repair.....damn!

Last edited by ck1109; 12-07-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 PM
namg37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Everyone.
I'm a new member to the forum and somewhat new to owning an Infiniti. I love my car but I think I'm having similar issues with my 2009 G37x. At random times, my G37x completely loses electrical power when I try to start the car. The key fob is in the slot, the steering wheel and dash move down to the pre-set spot. When I press the start button the car begins to start but loses power before the engine cranks and all electrical power is lost. I can't lock the doors, I can't open the trunk, nothing. Usually a few minutes later, I can see the orange light next to the shifter blinking and the car starts when I press the start button. Has anyone had this exact issue? If so, what did it turn out to be and how did you get it resolved? I have a new battery in the car so I'm fairly confident it isn't a battery issue. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rochester
Been living with this for maybe 6 months now.

Blah blah blah
Didn't realize that I was b1tching about this here, too.

It was the Clutch Position Sensor. Bought a new one at the dealership for $20, installed it myself. Problem solved.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 PM
namg37x

Thank you for the information. I hope it is this simple.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 AM
namg37x

Originally Posted by Rochester
Didn't realize that I was b1tching about this here, too.

It was the Clutch Position Sensor. Bought a new one at the dealership for $20, installed it myself. Problem solved.
Thanks for the help. Just wanted to check, does your G have a manual transmission? Mine is automatic. I've been looking online to see where the part goes and I haven't had much luck. If you have any more information I would appreciate it. Thank you ahead of time.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by namg37x
Thanks for the help. Just wanted to check, does your G have a manual transmission? Mine is automatic. I've been looking online to see where the part goes and I haven't had much luck. If you have any more information I would appreciate it. Thank you ahead of time.
No. My problem was the Clutch Position Sensor. You may have something similar on your brake pedal, but I really don't know. Aside from our family vehicles, I haven't owned a car with an automatic transmission in over 30 years. No wait, there was a brief period with a '83 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, but that was pretty forgettable.

g'luck, namg37x.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-13-2017 at 07:47 AM.