G37 Sedan

Plasti vs Dupli vs Wrap for grille and trim? Opinions!

Old 10-28-2016, 03:36 PM
TBau651

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyem
It's available in matte, satin or high gloss, and can be sanded, buffed, polished and waxed like standard clear coat. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
Pretty awesome indeed. I'm surprised to hear you can sand it if its similar to vinyl.. Goodbye to plasti dip if they start putting that stuff in aerosol cans....
Old 10-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Mattyem
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TBau651
Pretty awesome indeed. I'm surprised to hear you can sand it if its similar to vinyl.. Goodbye to plasti dip if they start putting that stuff in aerosol cans....
It's gonna take over in the next couple of years. I guarantee it haha
Old 10-31-2016, 08:57 AM
08STLX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wrapping that spoiler was a huge PITA! Much respect for ppl who wrap for a living or know their ish b/c it was tough as hell. Had to piece meal it for now.

Plasti came out awesome; just the look alone is amazing. Still need to put the emblems back on but when I do I will snap some pics.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Overboard
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Plasti Dip all the way. I have zero regrets, and my grille looks as good as the day I sprayed it.

So far two years of 50 miles per day highway commuting, and no road damage. I use automatic touchless washes without concern or problems. There are only two tiny pinhole-sized spot scratches were my dumb *** leaned something against the car. I tried vinyl on the chrome trim, but it started peeling, so I pulled it off after a month and sprayed that as well. Looks fantastic over a year later. 5+ heavy coats (after one 1/2 coverage initial coat) and you'll have no problems peeling it when you're ready to move on.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Bdub08

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is personal preference. I Wrapped mine in Gloss black Vinyl Almost 2 years ago and it has held up great. MY reasoning for that is because i like Shine and not a matte look. Also it matches my black vinyl roof. I wrap things for a living at work so it was simple for me. Why buy a midnight grill when i can make one?
Attached Thumbnails Plasti vs Dupli vs Wrap for grille and trim? Opinions!-bumper.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 11:10 AM
08STLX

Originally Posted by Bdub08
This is personal preference. I Wrapped mine in Gloss black Vinyl Almost 2 years ago and it has held up great. MY reasoning for that is because i like Shine and not a matte look. Also it matches my black vinyl roof. I wrap things for a living at work so it was simple for me. Why buy a midnight grill when i can make one?
Would you have any estimate on how much it would cost (labor only) to wrap that trunk spoiler?

Are those LEDs over the fogs?
Old 11-04-2016, 11:44 AM
007pipeline
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i need to look into this
Old 11-04-2016, 05:47 PM
TBau651

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 08STLX
Would you have any estimate on how much it would cost (labor only) to wrap that trunk spoiler?

I can't imagine it would be too awful expensive strictly labor wise to just have the spoiler wrapped, assuming you removed it from the car yourself and purchased the vinyl on your own. But what fun is that? at that point you've already "bought the ticket" so might as well "take the ride"... I bet you'd easily save $100 and acquire some skills along the way.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:07 AM
08STLX

Originally Posted by TBau651
I can't imagine it would be too awful expensive strictly labor wise to just have the spoiler wrapped, assuming you removed it from the car yourself and purchased the vinyl on your own. But what fun is that? at that point you've already "bought the ticket" so might as well "take the ride"... I bet you'd easily save $100 and acquire some skills along the way.
It was definitely nice to learn the mistakes from my first time. I plan on doing the window trim again soon and really making sure I get it all tucked away nicely. Luckily the most expensive part of DIY wrapping is opportunity cost! Vinyl really is good bang for the buck and even some sketchy spots on my car still make it look 1000% better than it did all chromed out.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Bdub08

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 08STLX

For the price it would be cheaper to do that yourself really. The spoiler is easy and should take 10 mins if that. We haven't done car part wraps yet. My job is more for the college i work at. "I" just know how to wrap my own stuff on the low low using their supplies.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Nicholas GM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to do the trunk spoiler twice. gave up both times. The camera hole really messes the whole operation up. I couldn't figure it out and wasted $20 in material. Ill pay someone when I have more time to take it. I have a friend that's gonna charge $60 and that includes material since I ran out.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:46 PM
08STLX

Originally Posted by Nicholas GM
I tried to do the trunk spoiler twice. gave up both times. The camera hole really messes the whole operation up. I couldn't figure it out and wasted $20 in material. Ill pay someone when I have more time to take it. I have a friend that's gonna charge $60 and that includes material since I ran out.
I think I would pay that to have it done; imagine if you get the wrap for cheap then you would be paying someone $45 to do it (I paid $15 shipped for 5x1 matte 1080). Especially if they give you a 30-60-90 day guarantee. And agreed, that camera hole is the devil! You almost have to heat up the wrap around that so it lays flat against those angles, then start doing the rest of it. I was so mad trying to wrap that thing. Piece meal came out okay but I will do round two later. Up next for wrapping is the rear valance

Search this Thread