I measured rear sway bar for coupe sport, sedan 2wd, and sedan awd. Got results

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I measured rear sway bar for coupe sport, sedan 2wd, and sedan awd. Got results

I have a 2013 G37xs sedan, which is obviously awd. I first purchased and had installed the coupe sport, which is the same as the IPL rear sway bar (the only true sport rear sway bar). It just seemed to sporty for what I was looking for.

I just purchased and received the standard 2wd sedan rear sway bar. I also still have the awd sway bar.

I measured all three with this: Free Sway Bar Measuring Tool - AftermarketSuspensionParts.com

I measured all three at the same spot and here are my results:

1) Sedan AWD= 17.5

2) Sedan 2wd= 24.2

3) Coupe 2wd sport (same as IPL)= 26.8

As mentioned, the coupe 2wd sport was just slightly too sporty for my taste. I am replacing it and putting on the sedan 2wd this upcoming weekend. The Coupe 2wd sport will go up for sale in the forum (bought it brand new from Infiniti and put 700 miles max on the bar)
Old 09-25-2016, 05:29 PM
ATL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you state it was too sporty, do you mean that you felt too much oversteer? Are you planning on swapping the front sway bar as well?
Old 09-25-2016, 07:28 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

I dont think oversteer is the feeling I get. On on ramps and off ramps it feels perfectly planted.

During quick turns on tight corners it feels the rear stays planted longer while the front ever so slightly feels a small raise. If that makes sense. I am positive others will like this stiffer in rear ride but I want it slightly softer
Old 09-25-2016, 09:18 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
OP, you should read this thread...measurements as well as input have been provided in the past regarding the different RSB's.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...r-upgrade.html

not knowing what your current tire/suspension set up is, I'd think about changing your shocks/struts - might be time to do so, if you are getting 'raised' feeling on the front.

I have a 2012 X sedan and it isn't lowered (yet), but I'm running stock 17's, Eibach adjustable RSB 29mm thickness(soft setting), Cusco front strut brace, stock shocks/struts and have no 'raise' feeling with my ride. I plan on going with 19's and wider tires, SWIFT springs, etc. so I know the handling will a lot better.

G/L.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:30 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CPJ LB
OP, you should read this thread...measurements as well as input have been provided in the past regarding the different RSB's.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...r-upgrade.html

not knowing what your current tire/suspension set up is, I'd think about changing your shocks/struts - might be time to do so, if you are getting 'raised' feeling on the front.

I have a 2012 X sedan and it isn't lowered (yet), but I'm running stock 17's, Eibach adjustable RSB 29mm thickness(soft setting), Cusco front strut brace, stock shocks/struts and have no 'raise' feeling with my ride. I plan on going with 19's and wider tires, SWIFT springs, etc. so I know the handling will a lot better.

G/L.
Thank you but I read all posts that were available on this website. Everyone thought that all the 2wd rear sway bars were the same, but, I knew they were not as they had different part numbers.

awd is the smallest, 2wd sedan (sport or no sport are the same) is the middle thickness, and the coupe 2wd sport/IPL is the thickest rear sway bar.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Don't think everyone thought that ALL RWD sways were the same, just the RWD Sedan sways
At least that's what I thought
Old 09-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Don't think everyone thought that ALL RWD sways were the same, just the RWD Sedan sways
At least that's what I thought
Same here. It's interesting and informative to know the RSB on the RWD Coupe is thicker, but not in the context of what is OEM on the Sedan.

I have no idea what "slightly too sporty" means when it comes to a sway bar. Seems kind of silly, IMO, unless you like body-roll and all that it means when it comes to having control over the car. But it means something to the OP, and it's his thread and his opinion.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-27-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2016, 10:38 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Everything that i read on the forum. I read there is not a difference between sport and not sport, it is 2wd and awd. I read all posts over and over again.

blnewt, you bought Rochester sport package rear sway bar from his sedan believing their would be a difference. You installed it and stated the size seems to be the same but you assumed the tubing wall thickness is a bit more on the S sway bar.

You stated it was not worth the price going from base rear sway bar to sport sedan rear sway bar, but, there was a slight difference "there has been a slight difference in feel and handling but really not enough to make the swap something I'd recommend." Though, it seems to be a mind thing as the rwd sport package sedan and the base sedan rwd actually has the same rear sway bar. The only different rear sway bar is the sport/IPL coupe rear sway bar.

Every so often someone mentioned what I found, the different part number between the sport coupe rwd and the other rwd and questioned that. No one answered these members that brought up this point, all conversations then went back to 2wd vs awd is the difference.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I wish I would have had a scale to see if there was any weight difference, if I ever go to an aftermarket sway pkg then I will take the time to weight them. From just handling them there seemed to be no difference, and if there is a difference it is very minimal. But short of cutting into them to measure the wall thickness I will assume they are the same.
#openanothercanofworms
Old 09-27-2016, 10:47 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I wish I would have had a scale to see if there was any weight difference, if I ever go to an aftermarket sway pkg then I will take the time to weight them. From just handling them there seemed to be no difference, and if there is a difference it is very minimal. But short of cutting into them to measure the wall thickness I will assume they are the same.
#openanothercanofworms
Sh*t, guess that won't happen ever, sold my RWD journey sway to a member here a few months back that had an AWD, DOH!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Sh*t, guess that won't happen ever, sold my RWD journey sway to a member here a few months back that had an AWD, DOH!
The important thing here is that we each unloaded our old swaybars on an easy mark.

No, wait... LOL

if I ever go to an aftermarket sway pkg
Slacker. If you only ever do one driving performance mod to your car ever... this would be it.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-27-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
The important thing here is that we each unloaded our old swaybars on an easy mark.

No, wait... LOL
Shady snake-oil salesman, but at least the guy that got mine got something different, lol. And yep, the aftermarket sways are on my list, but on a road trip now and have condensation under my drivers side headlight, so that's on top of my list now, damn it.