Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn plug-n-play version now available

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:02 AM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
^ Wow never realized how good the JDM tails looked. We'll see if I can get past the out of sync DDs; if not, the JDM tails/tritons look like a really pretty alternative. Anything but the sluggish incandescent turn signals....even my E46 had LED rear turn signals from the factory.

Order has shipped!! I'm excited...also expecting courtesy lights from Aliexpress. It might look tacky but for $12/pair I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:21 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by bsanalyst
^ Wow never realized how good the JDM tails looked. We'll see if I can get past the out of sync DDs; if not, the JDM tails/tritons look like a really pretty alternative. Anything but the sluggish incandescent turn signals....even my E46 had LED rear turn signals from the factory.

Order has shipped!! I'm excited...also expecting courtesy lights from Aliexpress. It might look tacky but for $12/pair I'm willing to give it a shot.
The only thing is, the JDM tails don't come cheap lol. Expect to shell out at least 250-300 for a used set, while you only pay $40 for the DD kit.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner
The only thing is, the JDM tails don't come cheap lol. Expect to shell out at least 250-300 for a used set, while you only pay $40 for the DD kit.
And the red plastic in the JDM tail isn't a match for the red plastic in the backup lens surround... Which apparently is like that in Japan, too, which is kind of odd. That lack of continuity is what keeps JDM tails off my wishlist. Other than that, they're very pretty.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:22 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I'm grabbing a set while I'm here in Japan for $100USD

Originally Posted by Rochester
And the red plastic in the JDM tail isn't a match for the red plastic in the backup lens surround... Which apparently is like that in Japan, too, which is kind of odd. That lack of continuity is what keeps JDM tails off my wishlist. Other than that, they're very pretty.
I've seen several V36 sedans out here in Japan, and it's not very noticeable. Maybe my eyes are messed up (doubt it) but the color difference is not bad whatsoever. I think they look great on MW sedans.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I've seen several V36 sedans out here in Japan, and it's not very noticeable. Maybe my eyes are messed up (doubt it) but the color difference is not bad whatsoever. I think they look great on MW sedans.
In the 2015 meet-up, we were eyeballing the differences side-by-side. Absolutely it's a subtle thing. No argument about that. For some, it's real (although admittedly much ado about nothing). For most, it's not even something you would notice.

You bringing home a pair, Z? I think you should.

I'm still digging that SKYLINE badge. Someday I might replace INFINITI with SKYLINE, just because it's my car, and I prefer it when cars have names rather than number & letter designations.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:27 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

I think the JDM reverse lights are actually different than the USDM ones, they have their own to match with the shade of red on the main taillights. I just don't think they sell the JDM reverse lights in the US which is why those with the JDM tails here have that difference.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

In the 2015 meet-up, we were eyeballing the differences side-by-side. Absolutely it's a subtle thing. No argument about that. For some, it's real (although admittedly much ado about nothing). For most, it's not even something you would notice.

You bringing home a pair, Z?
I think my VR sedan will balance out all the red.

And you know it man, I saw the prices out here and I had to. If I can find the spare time, I'll even try to help some of you guys out with JDM parts.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I think the JDM reverse lights are actually different than the USDM ones, they have their own to match with the shade of red on the main taillights. I just don't think they sell the JDM reverse lights in the US which is why those with the JDM tails here have that difference.
It's so-o difficult to make these calls from pictures. That's why I'm relying on the impressions we had the year before.

But IDK, man. Crazy to have so many subjective opinions about something that should be objective.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:35 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Nope. They're the same as the USDM ones.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

It's so-o difficult to make these calls from pictures. That's why I'm relying on the impressions we had the year before.

But IDK, man. Crazy to have so many subjective opinions about something that should be objective.
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Nope. They're the same as the USDM ones.
I guess our eyes are just playing with us lol
Old 09-22-2016, 04:04 PM
gman69
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
[QUOTE=Diode Dynamics;4075181]Thanks for your interest everyone! We will not be offering a group buy on this item.

No group buy or forum discount??? Hmmm That sucks... I know it's only $40.00 but I thought we would get something off. Anyone that goes to your site can buy it for $40.00
Old 09-22-2016, 04:15 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the same set up as PG-v36_6MT, and yes those JDM tail lights are pricey. Once I got them, I wrapped them up with GTR style vinyl wrap. Those amber lights are bright from VLEDs!
Old 09-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by gman69
No group buy or forum discount??? Hmmm That sucks... I know it's only $40.00 but I thought we would get something off. Anyone that goes to your site can buy it for $40.00
On one hand, it's only $40, and DD put all the research and parts-supply effort into this project hoping to profit from it. On the other hand, this *IS* the G37 Sedan Forum, after all.

I'm fine either way... but you make a fair point gman69. If DD made it $30 shipped here in a group buy, then I'd put my money down right now.

No pressure, LOL.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by gman69
Shoot us a message for a free shipping code! We are happy to support forum members in that way.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 PM
gman69
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
On one hand, it's only $40, and DD put all the research and parts-supply effort into this project hoping to profit from it. On the other hand, this *IS* the G37 Sedan Forum, after all.

I'm fine either way... but you make a fair point gman69. If DD made it $30 shipped here in a group buy, then I'd put my money down right now.

No pressure, LOL.
Yeah I don't get it.. We all talk about products on this forum and every time someone googles a product this forum usually pops up and helps sell it.
It's all good I'll end up buying it anyway.

I do have a question. Once this is installed does the ( incandescent light bulbs) in the middle still work with the brake light? Or do they work at all? I've watched a few videos and they don't seem like they do.

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn plug-n-play version now available