Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transmission slip or something else? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 06:21 AM
Glover998

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
That CVT guy should quit this business and sell some vegetables !
Old 09-27-2016, 02:21 PM
gman69
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Any other update on this?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:50 PM
VQpoppa
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
With it cold mine does that too. Must have to get the temps up to normal operating conditions. The 7at has a mind of its own. Not the same situation but my S2k was notchy has hell until the trans temp got hot.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:10 PM
BrazilianKilla
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a '12 G37 coupe 7AT as well and I'm also experiencing a lot of this "slip" lately. My car is currently at 66xxx miles. Did you figured anything else with this or did you just leave it alone?
Old 01-18-2017, 06:46 PM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
When I spoke with Pat @ Level 10 about doing my tranny, he did say that our transmissions are prone to slip naturally, as they aren't the best. (7AT at least)

I'm most likely getting the bulletproof transmission service done next summer, as I plan to do forced induction. However, I've heard good things about the Trans Go kits. Might be worth a shot?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 PM
BrazilianKilla
Registered Member

Okay I was just wondering since I'm approaching the end of the powertrain warranty, it'd be better to play it safe other than wait for it to stop working after my warranty is over. But I'm not familiar with that lol. What is it?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 AM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
From what i've read, this is a good first step. Looks like the Trans Go kit doesn't work with the 7AT only 5AT.

http://www.levelten.com/G37_VALVE_BO...etproof-vb.htm

to be honest though, I'd just call. They were extremely helpful. They'll be able to give way better advice than I can.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Bratzy1994

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious if you ever figured out what was wrong, I have this exact problem. I always disregarded it as being the torque converter locking and unlocking but if it's something else I'd like to get it fixed. It only happens occasionally when it's cold and after it's warm I almost never see it. It also only seems to happen when I baby the throttle.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:48 AM
qgoat
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bratzy1994
Just curious if you ever figured out what was wrong, I have this exact problem. I always disregarded it as being the torque converter locking and unlocking but if it's something else I'd like to get it fixed. It only happens occasionally when it's cold and after it's warm I almost never see it. It also only seems to happen when I baby the throttle.
I believe you are correct sir. From what I've read, the torque converter has different stages of lockup, going to full lock in 5th gear. So I think that in third, it goes in and out of partial lock up. If you go wot and there is no slip, then you're fine.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM
BrazilianKilla
Registered Member

I ended up taking my car to the dealer, where they charged me $160 for the diag and said everything was fine. They just recommended me doing an ATF drain and fill but I'm gonna be tackling the DIY 3x drain and fill soon and see if it'll have any improvements.
Like OP stated, mine "slips" the most when shifting from 2>3 and I've also noticed that it happens every time I let off the throttle and press it again. It is worse when it's cooler out but it minimizes once the fluid warms up. It usually happens more in D but also happens in DS mode.
Has anyone tried the Stall Test as per FSM? I tried it and I only got around 1700-1800 rpm in D, and 2k rpm in R.
I'll post some updates once I do the 3x drain and fill.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:41 PM
NewGCoupe

Same problem as you

The same thing happens to my g37x coupe but seemingly only when I have applied very little throttle and the car shifts into fourth, when applying more throttle and shifting into 4th in the manual mode produces less "slip", even got the transmission fluid changed but it still exists
Old 01-24-2019, 12:59 PM
jblessing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any followup to this?

My '13 g37x sedan just did this for the first time today. I was going up a hill, on ice/snow (in snow mode), about 20 F degrees out, in D, with barely any pressure on the gas. It happened about 6 times on that drive. No issues on flat or downhills. No lights on the dash. I may have caught it trying to do it another time or two, but I pressed on the gas more and that seemed to catch it. Maybe...
Old 02-04-2019, 11:29 AM
jblessing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for anyone else that comes across this, my problem turned out to be dirty throttle bodies. Cleaned them and the MAF sensors while I was at it. All good now.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (02-04-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:01 PM
Musa01

Hello Everyone, I hope you all g37 soldiers are doing great.
I have 2, 2013 infiniti g37's. The first one is a sport g37 with 45k miles. the second one is a journey package with 50k miles. both are 2013 and I am the second owner of both. and I bought both of them from the same guy which was the first owner of both of the cars. Now I have owned many cars outside of the infiniti field, the best experience and luck that I have had was with a 2007 Lexus IS350. to start with I have no issues at all with the sport g37 that I own, meanwhile In the journey I have a **** ton of laggy acceleration and a very rough engine idle. To make things clear I went to the dealer took both of the cars to them, I let them test drove both and they kept saying both are fine, and there are no issues with the journey. and when I drove the journey it drove exactly as the sport did well at least for a couple of hours, I pushed the car very heavily thanks to my heavy foot. what they did was reset the ECU, which i found out later on, the problem appeared again and I still have a very laggy acceleration, I cleaned the throthle bodies and the MAF sensors, that improved the issue quite significantly, with the experience I have with my other infinitis such as a 2008 g35 sport, or a 2011 g37 coupe, or the current 2013 Sport one the journey one isnt even quite near how strong the other ones run, even though all of them have the same amount of power I believe, I have done all sorts of stuff to the journey, such as clean the MAF sensors, Clean the Throttle bodies, Reset the ECU, and Drive it like I stole it, Or turn of the traction Control, although all of these factors did improve the issue, but my main issue is still there which is, my journey doesnt downshift when i accelerate this happens quite often is the 3rd gear, lets say I am cruising at 40mph and i press the gas all the way, it wont downshift to second gear to just takes off which is what my sport one does, it stay in 3rd or 4th and take off in that gear, this issue is mostly in 3rd gear, and the car is perfectly fine in higher speeds over 80mph. Does anyone know anything about it, No the dealer does not know anything about it because I have taken it into 3 different dealers all they do is reset the ECU which really changes the car into a beast and it drives like the sport one I have, but after a while it turns back into a grandma car, at times she is very confused not knowing what to do. speed up all the way or speed up a little bit. If anyone can help me that would be great. sorry for my long paragraph Thanks in advance, Hopefully I hear your opinions
Old 10-28-2019, 04:15 PM
omahawk
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 2011 X is doing the exact same thing at the exact same RPM as the OP. I purchased in 2015 when it had 30,000 miles and it has 108,000 miles right now. This started showing up for me last winter around 96,000-98,000 miles. Was worried that the trans is starting to go, I will do the fluid flush in the next month and see if things improve.

Quick Reply: Transmission slip or something else? Help!