Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

What fuel do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:02 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
We only have 87,89 and 93. Some stations have one pump with 100
Old 09-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
You know, as much as I'm predisposed to mock people who pump higher octane than the car is designed for, thinking they're filling up with Liquid Swartz, there can be a valid reason for using high octane gasoline in an old car. I found this today at TTAC:

I Can Feel It: Drivers Spent $2.1 Billion on Unnecessary Octane Last Year, Says AAA

TTAC is a great website. Found it about a month ago, and I'm starting to like it better than AutoBlog.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-21-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner
In the DC/MD/VA area there is only 87, 89, and 93. The only station I know of that carries 91 here is Sunoco, but they also offer 93 in addition so I just end up using that.
There's 91 all over Manassas, VA but I like to spoil my G with 93
Old 09-21-2016, 10:39 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You notice a difference in performance between different brands of 93?

OK
Yes I can. With shell the car doesn't fell like it's giving me all its got at the top end. And I get better gas mileage with the other 2. Why do you think people prefer a certain brand over another? Do you laugh at them too? Read this, it's about diesel fuel but still, the last paragraph under Performance: https://sidepodcast.com/post/sidepod...ging-challenge

Last edited by mummy2; 09-21-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mummy2
Yes I can. With shell the car doesn't fell like it's giving me all its got at the top end. And I get better gas mileage with the other 2. Why do you think people prefer a certain brand over another? Do you laugh at them too? Read this, it's about diesel fuel but still, the last paragraph under Performance: https://sidepodcast.com/post/sidepod...ging-challenge
There is absolutely nothing scientific or even measurable in that "test"

Mr C felt his vehicle drove smoother because he could go up hill in a higher gear.

If you prefer one brand of gas over another, fine. There likely isn't a price difference, so go for it. But to say you are actually able to notice something like .01 second faster acceleration is just silly. Do you have any actual data to support your a** dyno?
Old 09-21-2016, 11:14 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Certain brands of gas put certain kinds of additives to help clean your engine, to help it run better, and to improve fuel ecomony. Some brands don't. While the octane rating doesn't change--the same 87 or 93 gas at your average no-name corner gas station IS the same octane rating as the 87 or 93 at Shell or Exxon--you can bet that Shell and Exxon have more and better fuel cleaning detergents/additives than the no-name gas.

At the end of the day, gas is gas, and if you fill up with unbranded gas vs. name brand gas your engine won't die and you will still get from point A to point B. You probably won't notice a performance increase from your butt dyno right off the bat. But over time the engine running the "better" gas will probably be a lot cleaner than the one with unbranded gas.

See link for more info: Home | Top Tier Gas
Old 09-21-2016, 11:17 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
There is absolutely nothing scientific or even measurable in that "test"

Mr C felt his vehicle drove smoother because he could go up hill in a higher gear.

If you prefer one brand of gas over another, fine. There likely isn't a price difference, so go for it. But to say you are actually able to notice something like .01 second faster acceleration is just silly. Do you have any actual data to support your a** dyno?
What the hell is your problem? You sound like an old person that thinks they know everything and you can't tell them no different. I don't have anything "scientific". But I can tell and they could tell too. So what's so hard to believe about there being a power difference between fuels? Don't you get better mileage at some gas stations than others?....exactly. So don't say there is no difference between fuels.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

What the hell is your problem? You sound like an old person that thinks they know everything and you can't tell them no different. I don't have anything "scientific". But I can tell and they could tell too. So what's so hard to believe about there being a power difference between fuels? Don't you get better mileage at some gas stations than others?....exactly. So don't say there is no difference between fuels.
In Lego's defense, he laughs at everyone eventually, with an arrogance that surpasses my own, and that's saying a lot.

It was just your turn, so get over it. Plus, your comment was silly, so there's that.

Gas threads are like BMW threads. They're full of anecdotal BS, and rarely end well.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Nothing but 93 around me so thats what I use.

For what its worth, I recently installed a turbo kit on a buddy's FRS. On his car you can easily tell the difference between "good" premiums and the rest. Of course we're talking a turbocharged, direct injected, high compression motor so its obviously going to be more sensitive to fuel octane and quality fluctuations that our cars.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:55 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Shell 93 or nothing
Old 09-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

What the hell is your problem?
I don't have a problem. I'm simply pointing out, to anyone who might be less informed and trying to learn that your comment was silly, to paraphrase Rochester.

You sound like an old person that thinks they know everything and you can't tell them no different.
Or, I sound like an old person who does statistical analysis every day and is saying there is no "butt dyno" difference in 0-60 in 5.1 or 5.2 seconds.

I don't have anything "scientific". But I can tell and they could tell too.
No, you, and the "test" you linked too are stuck somewhere between a placebo effect and a self fulfilling prophecy. There are too many outside enviromental variables to think there is a meaningful difference between brand X 93 and brand Y, discounting, or course, a bad tank of gas from filling up at Jim's Guns and Gas in nowheresville West Virgina.

So what's so hard to believe about there being a power difference between fuels?
There might be a slight differnece but I dont believe it is statistically meaningful. Nor to I believe that you can feel a 1-2% differnce because you "drive hard"

Don't you get better mileage at some gas stations than others?....exactly. So don't say there is no difference between fuels.
I dont track my mileage because I dont believe there is a meaningful difference between fules. My dash display says 14.x

Again, without being able to control for enviromental issues--weather, grade, throttle position, tire pressure, and a bunch of others--it's impossible to get an apples-to-apples comparison to say brand x is better.

You prefer whatever brand of gas you prefer. Great. But your car isn't measurably and noticeably faster

Originally Posted by Rochester
In Lego's defense, he laughs at everyone eventually, with an arrogance that surpasses my own, and that's saying a lot.
I'm not sure if that was a dig or a back handed compliment. But it was the nicest thing you've ever said to me, so I'll take it as a compliment

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
For what its worth, I recently installed a turbo kit on a buddy's FRS. On his car you can easily tell the difference between "good" premiums and the rest. Of course we're talking a turbocharged, direct injected, high compression motor so its obviously going to be more sensitive to fuel octane and quality fluctuations that our cars.
And I recently tuned my wifes DI twin turbo V6 and specifically noted the gas brands we generally use, and the tuner said as long as we use 93 it didnt matter. I guess if you're tuned to the ragged edge of whoop-a** it could make a difference
Old 09-21-2016, 01:03 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
I find this thread quite amusing.

Telcoman
Old 09-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

So Lego went full Trump, and 87 Igit is lurking. Pretty much what we can expect from a gas thread.

Who here fills their tires with 78% Nitrogen, and doesn't realize it's a trick question?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
So Lego went full Trump
What a stupid comment, even for you
Old 09-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Premium (93 around here) from any of the following brands Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

I recently had my tank filled wit regular by an incompetent gas station attendant. The car ran fine, but i did notice a modest loss in midrange power and a slight drop in fuel economy (BTW, a 1-2mpg drop negates any savings you would get filling with regular)

Quick Reply: What fuel do you use?