2011 G37xS SEDAN SPRINGS

Old 09-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Ra_BiiGGa

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 G37xS SEDAN SPRINGS

Hey fellow G's.lol

Pretty new to the forum and wasn't sure if I should post in the Newbie Corner or over here. So I guess ill start off with the big boys (prob backwards but hey)

Ive tried to search the site for info on Lowering Springs for my 2011 37xS Sedan and haven't found any concrete answers on whether Eibachs ProKit (part#6394.140) will work ; or any other manufacturers honestly. I really didn't want to go with swift springs due to rumors of shortening the lifespan of my struts, etc.

Any one with a lowered 37xS Sedan? Anyone with concrete answers? Anyone that can help?!

TIA,
Ra

Last edited by Ra_BiiGGa; 09-15-2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 09-15-2016, 06:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site~The Eibach, Swift, and Tanabe are the most common X springs, They are all considered a mild drop spring so although the damper will be compromised (since they aren't engineered for the shorter & stiffer springs), the life shouldn't be shortened too much. There's been those that have driven 50k miles and more without issues and some that have had damper issues much sooner, so it's hard to say. There should be no difference in damper longevity w/ those three sets, but the Tanabe tends to sag in the back vs. the other two setups.**********If you plan on keeping your G for a long time you might consider coilovers. Stance, KSport, and Fortune 500 are decent choices, and unlike springs on OEM dampers, the dampers won't be compromised.
The following users liked this post:
Ra_BiiGGa (09-20-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 07:31 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm on swift for 1.5k and so far no issues.

Last edited by G37X GraSdadow; 10-14-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Newt gave you good advice. (He does that.)

Here's another take on your question - you have a 5 year old car, so really what's the point worrying about shortening the lifespan of your OEM shocks? Moreover, those non-sport shocks are pretty bouncy anyway. Just drop the car and enjoy it. Deal with problems if or when they crop up, and look at it as an opportunity to upgrade.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:02 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site~The Eibach, Swift, and Tanabe are the most common X springs, They are all considered a mild drop spring
I have the Eibachs and i totally wouldn't consider that a mild drop, but then again this is my first time with a lowered car.
The front ground clearance is like 2.5" max and one of my jacks don't even fit under the car anymore lol. The underside of the X hangs very low also and the tray scrapes constantly on garage entrances and stuff.

and to the OP, i put in KYB shocks at the same time i put the springs and i am very happy with the ride. I think i've gone like 15k on them so far and no problems yet.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Yeah, one mans mild is another mans deep, lol True on the X about not wanting to go too low, are you really only 2.5" off the ground, sounds like that would be a real PITA to navigate. I bet your Y-pipe braids look like Bernie Sanders hair And also, getting aftermarket shocks like iCrap did is another good option.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:55 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts
Do any of you replace the struts with after markets when upgrading springs as well? Or at that point are you guys just making the jump to coilovers?

Reason I ask is because I'm looking for a nice drop but without being too harsh for most road driving. The idea of adjustablity in coilovers is appealing, but the spring rates even on the lowest settings might be too much. Anyone have good streetable coils?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 AM
Ra_BiiGGa

Welcome to the site~The Eibach, Swift, and Tanabe are the most common X springs, They are all considered a mild drop spring so although the damper will be compromised (since they aren't engineered for the shorter & stiffer springs), the life shouldn't be shortened too much. There's been those that have driven 50k miles and more without issues and some that have had damper issues much sooner, so it's hard to say. There should be no difference in damper longevity w/ those three sets, but the Tanabe tends to sag in the back vs. the other two setups.**********If you plan on keeping your G for a long time you might consider coilovers. Stance, KSport, and Fortune 500 are decent choices, and unlike springs on OEM dampers, the dampers won't be compromised.
Thanks newt! the next problem is that none of these manufacturers seem to make springs for the XS Sedan.. or does it not matter?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Ra_BiiGGa

Originally Posted by Rochester
Newt gave you good advice. (He does that.)

Here's another take on your question - you have a 5 year old car, so really what's the point worrying about shortening the lifespan of your OEM shocks? Moreover, those non-sport shocks are pretty bouncy anyway. Just drop the car and enjoy it. Deal with problems if or when they crop up, and look at it as an opportunity to upgrade.

Good point! I got some sport shocks on there tho (g37xS). Just don't want my wife to Bobbit me on the way to the grocery store

Originally Posted by iCrap
I have the Eibachs and i totally wouldn't consider that a mild drop, but then again this is my first time with a lowered car.
The front ground clearance is like 2.5" max and one of my jacks don't even fit under the car anymore lol. The underside of the X hangs very low also and the tray scrapes constantly on garage entrances and stuff.

and to the OP, i put in KYB shocks at the same time i put the springs and i am very happy with the ride. I think i've gone like 15k on them so far and no problems yet.

Icrap thanks for the good advice.. again lol I'm planning on getting some alloy 20s so hopefully I can get them nice and flush with those eibachs

Originally Posted by G37X GraSdadow
I'm on swift for 25k and so far no issues.

What size tires / rims are you on ??

Last edited by Ra_BiiGGa; 09-16-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

XS sedan is the same as the X sedan, and AFAIK the X coupe springs should also work. Tanabe sells the same exact springs/part# for all the Gs except convertible so the springs will physically fit but the spring rates and lengths may differ.
The following users liked this post:
Ra_BiiGGa (09-20-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
XS sedan is the same as the X sedan
It's a hard thing for some xS owners to accept. Swaybars, shocks, steering, brakes... all non-sport components in a Sport-appearance package.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-16-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:06 AM
SurreyG

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ra_BiiGGa
Thanks newt! the next problem is that none of these manufacturers seem to make springs for the XS Sedan.. or does it not matter?
Swift does make specific ones for the AWD model and ones specific for the RWD model. Check the website for model numbers if needed be.

Cheers.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by SurreyG
Swift does make specific ones for the AWD model and ones specific for the RWD model. Check the website for model numbers if needed be.

Cheers.
I think he was referring to any difference between the X and the XS, and as far as suspension, they are identical.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:31 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
^agreed. I still have my set of Swifts yet to be installed (bought them used from an XS owner) I've decided to wait until the stock struts need to be replaced (I'm at ~60K miles currently), so most likely soon but may put off until after winter....no rush for me.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:56 PM
SurreyG

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap

Just curious do you have the model number for the KYB's? Are specific struts made for X models? Can I swap my set of X struts with a set of S struts? If so is there much of a difference?. ... Sorry lots of questions in one Reply

Search this Thread