G37 Sedan
View Poll Results: How does your G sedan handle?
My G is one of the best handling cars I have ever driven
16.28%
My G handles great for a sedan but could be better
53.49%
My G handles decent, there's things I would change.
20.93%
My G doesn't handle great, could be worse but many are better
9.30%
I think my G handles terrible, I would change most things if I could
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Sedan owners with sports car experience, how does.your G handle?

Old 09-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
In big, round numbers... figure $400 give or take for a front camber kit, and $200 give or take for the install of the kit and the fronts CO's, and another $100 for an alignment. That's $700 to get the fronts matched up, when the car is already situated quite excellent right now.
I guess I didn't realize you needed a front camber kit, although it makes sense since the drop is more than just springs.

Back to 4DRZs comment, the addition of F/R camber kits pretty much negates the price advantage of the Teins.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I guess I didn't realize you needed a front camber kit, although it makes sense since the drop is more than just springs.
Not a need, per se. Just a detail thing I want to address. There's a half point difference in camber on the fronts... IIRC, it was -1.2 and -1.7 at my last alignment.

Height is currently exactly what I want, so I'd probably be spinning the CO's to full extent in the front, just like the rears.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Back to 4DRZs comment, the addition of F/R camber kits pretty much negates the price advantage of the Teins.
Did you get springs with your shocks? I have seen a few kits for the 370Z that do include springs and the drop looks very similar to the Tein Basis so you would need camber kits on either one if you want to go that way. I only needed rear camber arms to get the alignment I wanted. (and even then I would have been ok without them)

If the Konis for our cars are similar to what they were with the WRX, you had to get your own springs. Then it was a crapshoot as to what springs would work properly for performance.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Did you get springs with your shocks? I have seen a few kits for the 370Z that do include springs and the drop looks very similar to the Tein Basis so you would need camber kits on either one if you want to go that way. I only needed rear camber arms to get the alignment I wanted. (and even then I would have been ok without them)

If the Konis for our cars are similar to what they were with the WRX, you had to get your own springs. Then it was a crapshoot as to what springs would work properly for performance.
I'm on Swift springs. My front alignment was fine, rear was very close to OE range.

Konis for the G are somewhat different from the WRX in that they're complete assemblies instead of inserts. The adjustability allows you to dial them in to your spring of choice.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I'm on Swift springs. My front alignment was fine, rear was very close to OE range.

Konis for the G are somewhat different from the WRX in that they're complete assemblies instead of inserts. The adjustability allows you to dial them in to your spring of choice.
Yes, the fact they are not inserts is much easier than it was with the WRX. I was just wondering if they came with springs. It sounds like you got yours without springs too. So this means you would have the same choice about camber arms as you would with the Tein Basis.

I am sure you know there is a little more to tuning a spring to a shock than having a **** for dampening. The height and the spring rate play a big roll in how the car will handle. Then you have to take into account how it will handle with progressive vs. linear springs.

Maybe Koni has some suggestions of springs that work with their shocks for our cars if they do not already come with them. (Tricky since I know the Koni inserts are technically not for our cars) I know that was a PITA to match the right springs with the WRX. Then again I was a lot more serious about racing then and had slicks and race brakes as well as a whole host of other parts I wasted my money on... Ah, the good old days
Old 09-28-2016, 09:06 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
To say this car is a disappointment is an understatement for a so called "Sports" Sedan. My 2004 Lexus IS300 was a true sport sedan, I got rid of it for this car.

Also, I drove my 1987 BMW 325i convertible with 104,000 miles for the last few days. During the last 8,000 miles I replaced all suspension components with OEM BMW parts, a total refresh. You forget how much a bus this G37 is until you get out of another car and drive this one again

The BMW is truly a fun car, I don't speed but just every day driving it is a blast to drive that puts a smile on your face. I then drove this car this morning and ho-hum, felt like I should have one of those 18 wheeler truck horns.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:12 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 338 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
To say this car is a disappointment is an understatement for a so called "Sports" Sedan. My 2004 Lexus IS300 was a true sport sedan, I got rid of it for this car.

Also, I drove my 1987 BMW 325i convertible with 104,000 miles for the last few days. During the last 8,000 miles I replaced all suspension components with OEM BMW parts, a total refresh. You forget how much a bus this G37 is until you get out of another car and drive this one again

The BMW is truly a fun car, I don't speed but just every day driving it is a blast to drive that puts a smile on your face. I then drove this car this morning and ho-hum, felt like I should have one of those 18 wheeler truck horns.
Do you have anything done to your G?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:15 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Do you have anything done to your G?
No, stock other than the rsb from the sport coupe. The BMW is stock as well.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:10 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No, stock other than the rsb from the sport coupe. The BMW is stock as well.
I think you will be surprised how well a few simple mods transform the car.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess you have an X based on your other posts. In which case, you're absolutely right, the X and Xs aren't meant to be a sports sedan.

Swaybars and summer tires will offer the biggest change to handling.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I think you will be surprised how well a few simple mods transform the car.
That's an understatement.

Some people (most people) don't do that, though, which in turn gives them a baseline to make over-the-top generalizations about the car. Thing is, you're never going to convince people like that otherwise.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess you have an X based on your other posts.
He does. And you're right... that explains a lot.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/midwest...ay-bar-on.html
Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

True. The question is, why would someone need to do mods to make a car feel less like a boat/18-wheeler? When the other two cars I mentioned were completely stock as well and they are a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

True. The question is, why would someone need to do mods to make a car feel less like a boat/18-wheeler? When the other two cars I mentioned were completely stock as well and they are a heck of a lot of fun.
You just answered your own question.

Here's another answer... because hobby.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:36 PM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I know how you feel because I came from an E46 330Ci w/ the performance package in stock form. The G37 sedan is definitely a night and day difference.

I've just come to accept that modern 4-door cars are going to feel much heftier than the older sport sedans from before, it's just the way the automotive world is heading. Newer cars have more tech, more insulation, better safety equipment, etc. and therefore more weight.

I had a hard time deciding to switch to a more modern car from my *relatively* aging E46 ZHP, but for me it ultimately came down to this reasoning:
It's much easier for me to modify the car's suspension and tires to improve its handling, than it is for me to retrofit insulation, safety equipment, bluetooth streaming, rear backup cameras, etc. into an older but lighter/better handling car. In many cases, it is straight-up impossible.

Not to mention, BMW went to great lengths to reduce weight on the E46. This came at the cost of very low quality OEM plastic parts in critical components (especially cooling). The cars are just built with a completely different mentality. It works for some, not for others.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:13 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

There are two big differences about the cars the two cars you mentioned and the G, first off theyre both RWD and since you have an X it is AWD.

The next thing is weight, both cars you owned were older and RWD which makes them much lighter than the G.

Add weight and AWD and you take alot of fun away. If you wanted more of a sport sedan the G37S not X or xS would be the best option with less weight, RWD, better suspension, better brakes, and VLSD.

If you dont want to change some things, it wont be as fun to drive as your other smaller lighter cars you owned. However like everyone else has mentioned, a good set of coils or springs/shocks, tires will make a huge difference. There is also a DIY for adding a switch to turn the X into rwd on command.

Search this Thread