G37 Sedan
View Poll Results: How does your G sedan handle?
My G is one of the best handling cars I have ever driven
16.28%
My G handles great for a sedan but could be better
53.49%
My G handles decent, there's things I would change.
20.93%
My G doesn't handle great, could be worse but many are better
9.30%
I think my G handles terrible, I would change most things if I could
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Sedan owners with sports car experience, how does.your G handle?

Old 09-19-2016, 11:58 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Well that sounds terrible. On my WRX they were relatively easy to adjust and on top, but I wondered about that with this car since there is no access from the top.

Now I'm confused. You mentioned earlier that there is "no sacrifice in ride comfort," but now you say they are noticeably stiffer than stock. Care to elaborate a bit?
Ride comfort is pretty much like stock in everyday driving. I would say for highway driving it's actually better than OEM shocks. The only time I feel more harshness is when I go over a speedbump a little too fast.

Driving in the canyons the weight transfering of the car is noticeably quicker. I am no suspension expert, but I think stiffer shocks = quicker weight transfer. Hence my previous comment.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:47 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by SurreyG
Great write up. It's good to see someone on here who has experience driving many other cars that are considered great handling and accelerating cars. My buddy owns a E46 M3 and yeah it's a great car, no doubt about it especially in it's time, but he is spending countless hours and dollars just to keep it running. I have done some spirited driving with him and he's not able to lose me on any straight stretches or corners. My only mods are Swift Springs, G37S rear sway bar swap out (I drive a 37xS), 245/40/19 aftermarket wheels, and recently installed ARK Exhaust. I can easily take him off the line in a drag race because of the flawless launches with the AWD and have no problems at all keeping up with him in the twisties.
I think the E46 M3 was definitely ahead of its time in terms of engine, handling, and styling. I got my 2005 late in 2012 and the most surprising part was how modern it seemed, even the interior. (It now seems a little dated inside, but I still think one of the best looking cars outside.) The G37S is no slouch though. A few simple mods and it is remarkably quick on the track.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
It is terrible, if you want to adjust them on a regular basis. I've adjusted them once, right after the install, so it's a moot point for me. I'm somewhere around one full rotation on the fronts, and one left-to-right sweep on the rears, and they are plenty stiff.
That does sound awful to adjust. So if you want to adjust them do you have to jack up the car and take the wheels off?

Originally Posted by Alcaponed
Having driven many sports cars, I would say one thing missing is the feeling of lightness. Compared to an RX8 for example, the G feels pretty heavy in comparison. My car only has sways, better tires (Super Sports) and brakes in terms of performance upgrades and it drives really well FOR A SEDAN. For a sports car, it just lacks that lightning fast response you get from more dedicated sports cars, but the G still impresses me with how well it goes with a couple minor upgrades to the handling. The G is relatively easy to improve handling-wise, but at least in its stock form it isn't that great. With the factory tires i was disappointed the first time I took it to a proper road because of the understeer and general poor handling, but just switching to good tires improved things dramatically. Also consider that it's a pretty old car now, and compared to more modern stuff it is quite archaic, but I do like the simplicity of it compared to a BMW or an Audi.
It is a given that a 3,700lb. sedan is not going to handle like a lightweight sports car, but then again it is not much heavier than most of the sporty cars on the road today and it is a lot lighter than many of them. I know what you mean about the acceleration, shifting, and acceleration feeling a bit muted on the G37S when stock. Nissan/Infiniti probably had to water it down a bit since it is supposed to be a luxury sedan, but those are all pretty easy fixes. It is surprising how responsive it can be made on the cheap. The weight balance and suspension architecture really help the car.

Originally Posted by antirice
Ride comfort is pretty much like stock in everyday driving. I would say for highway driving it's actually better than OEM shocks. The only time I feel more harshness is when I go over a speedbump a little too fast.

Driving in the canyons the weight transfering of the car is noticeably quicker. I am no suspension expert, but I think stiffer shocks = quicker weight transfer. Hence my previous comment.
I guess that makes sense about the ride quality. Stiffer shocks will make you feel everything move quicker about the steering and suspension, but should lead to less overall weight transfer since there should be less overall movement in the suspension.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:07 AM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It feels that the mods I did to the car so far kind of "bring out" the sporty character of the car that's hidden under all the luxury bits made to please the masses. The car has lots of potential but it feels a bit buried under layers of parts made for the mass market.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:32 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
That does sound awful to adjust. So if you want to adjust them do you have to jack up the car and take the wheels off?
It would be far easier to just remove the shocks. 3 bolts per side
Old 09-22-2016, 11:31 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Alcaponed
It feels that the mods I did to the car so far kind of "bring out" the sporty character of the car that's hidden under all the luxury bits made to please the masses. The car has lots of potential but it feels a bit buried under layers of parts made for the mass market.
That's exactly what I mean in the post above you about Nissan/Infiniti having to water down the car a bit for the luxury market it competes with in the U.S. I wonder if it is as watered down in Japan where it is sold as the Nissan Skyline...

It would be far easier to just remove the shocks. 3 bolts per side
Good Lord that's a major PITA compared to the Konis I had on my WRX!!! I think I will be happier with my Tein Basis since the springs are probably better matched with the dampers anyway than trying to guess with aftermarket springs and Konis. A lot cheaper too.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Good Lord that's a major PITA compared to the Konis I had on my WRX!!! I think I will be happier with my Tein Basis since the springs are probably better matched with the dampers anyway than trying to guess with aftermarket springs and Konis. A lot cheaper too.
No more of a PITA than adjusting them on my Firebird, but I'm not shuffling between street and track settings, so it's not a consideration, and I've only adjusted the rears once.

Adjustable height or dampers, not going to get both at the Tein or Koni price point. The ride and handling of the Konis is awesome. I don't have any of the issues you've reported about the Teins ride on certain surfaces, and for my 100% street driven car that's important to me.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No more of a PITA than adjusting them on my Firebird, but I'm not shuffling between street and track settings, so it's not a consideration, and I've only adjusted the rears once.

Adjustable height or dampers, not going to get both at the Tein or Koni price point. The ride and handling of the Konis is awesome. I don't have any of the issues you've reported about the Teins ride on certain surfaces, and for my 100% street driven car that's important to me.
You can get a number of coilovers with adjustable height and dampening at similar cost to the Konis with springs, but I bet most of them ride like junk.

I only have one road I have driven on so far that I notice anything in the ride not exactly like stock. It actually rides exactly like a new Miata and I am sure your car rides the same way so don't let that keep you from Tein Basis. I drive the road every day and do not notice it unless my wife is riding along and complains because her Murano rides like a couch.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I'll keep my made in Holland Konis with a lifetime warranty instead of some budget coils with height and damper adjustment.

FWIW, there are a couple threads on the 370 boards about autocross settings for the Konis. Sounds like they are adjusting them on car, so don't take my experience as definitive on the adjustment process.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,421 Posts
I'll keep my made in Holland Konis with a lifetime warranty instead of some budget coils with height and damper adjustment.
There's no damping adjustment in the Tein Basis.

Not that it really needs it... the ride is marginally more aggressive, with marginally better handling, than the OEM sport shocks on lowering springs. While that might not read like an endorsement, actually... it is. Great, adjustable suspensions for a very reasonable cost. Thanks again to Brad for the heads-up, if he's reading this.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 PM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
As someone coming from a 2005 BMW 330Ci (coupe) w/ Performance Package, the G37 sedan feels quite "loose". The steering rack is not as heavy/precise, and the car feels much heavier and floatier. On its stock sport suspension, it is not particularly confidence inspiring on twisty roads. A set of coilovers is high on my wish list for this car. Tein Basis looks very solid and good enough for my use (handles better than stock but retains factory-like ride comfort).

Then again, the G37 is miles ahead of my old ZHP as far as comfort and ride quality. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my ZHP though...that thing felt like it was on rails from the factory. I felt invincible going through corners on that car...
Old 09-22-2016, 07:56 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by bsanalyst
As someone coming from a 2005 BMW 330Ci (coupe) w/ Performance Package, the G37 sedan feels quite "loose". The steering rack is not as heavy/precise, and the car feels much heavier and floatier. On its stock sport suspension, it is not particularly confidence inspiring on twisty roads. A set of coilovers is high on my wish list for this car. Tein Basis looks very solid and good enough for my use (handles better than stock but retains factory-like ride comfort).

Then again, the G37 is miles ahead of my old ZHP as far as comfort and ride quality. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my ZHP though...that thing felt like it was on rails from the factory. I felt invincible going through corners on that car...
I drove my friends e46 330 Manual and i gotta say i was not impressed at all. Lot of body roll and the steering was just "alright," nothing special. But, I don't know how different the 330Ci with the performance pack is.
then again, my car has had the hotchkis sways on it for years. I don't even remember what it was like without it. I only recently lowered it though.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:09 PM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
I drove my friends e46 330 Manual and i gotta say i was not impressed at all. Lot of body roll and the steering was just "alright," nothing special. But, I don't know how different the 330Ci with the performance pack is.
then again, my car has had the hotchkis sways on it for years. I don't even remember what it was like without it. I only recently lowered it though.
Never drove the normal 330 but the performance package did include a different suspension (as did the sport package). I think it's about an inch lower than a normal 330, also the wheels were 18", which meant very little sidewall and consequently less roll but a harsher ride. Definitely for a different audience vs. the non sport trims.

Most of the handling characteristics in my old e46 I could probably quite easily replicate in my g37 through upgrades. But Im not sure if I can ever get the steering to feel as connected and firm as my old zhp
Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
There's no damping adjustment in the Tein Basis.

Not that it really needs it... the ride is marginally more aggressive, with marginally better handling, than the OEM sport shocks on lowering springs. While that might not read like an endorsement, actually... it is. Great, adjustable suspensions for a very reasonable cost. Thanks again to Brad for the heads-up, if he's reading this.
I know the Basis don't have adjustable dampers, I was referring to 4DRZ comment on height/damper adjustable coils at a Koni price. Something like the KWv3 would be wayyyy more expensive.

If you feel that good about the Teins and you're still just running the rears, you should move the fronts up on your list. I think you'll look back and regret waiting.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

FWIW, there are a couple threads on the 370 boards about autocross settings for the Konis. Sounds like they are adjusting them on car, so don't take my experience as definitive on the adjustment process.
Konis are decent on the street, but not as durable for the track as dedicated coilovers. I was glad I had a lifetime warranty as they were the only suspension that blew out on a track I have driven many times with other cars/suspensions without any issues. Sounds like we both have the right fit for how we are using the car.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,421 Posts
If you feel that good about the Teins and you're still just running the rears, you should move the fronts up on your list. I think you'll look back and regret waiting.
You're probably right, about the regret thing. That's always the way when you put off a mod that turns out to be ****. RJM and STS are great examples of that.

In big, round numbers... figure $400 give or take for a front camber kit, and $200 give or take for the install of the kit and the fronts CO's, and another $100 for an alignment. That's $700 to get the fronts matched up, when the car is already situated quite excellent right now. Would it be better? Probably, but in a marginal way, just like the rears were a marginal improvement.

So all that means good-enough for right now, and $700 directed towards other things with more priority.

It's all a game, man. A big, obsessive spreadsheet of pointless plans for a car barely driven.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-22-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Search this Thread