Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Shift knobs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:41 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Just an idea, but what about a OEM 370Z shift kn0b:
https://conceptzperformance.com/niss...z34_p_7658.php
This is what I have. Love it.

What about vinyl wrapping the shifter surround to hide the pattern? This has been on my list for awhile. It's a slight different shade compared to the surrounding trim, some contrast might work nicely
Old 08-27-2016, 10:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
This is what I have. Love it.

What about vinyl wrapping the shifter surround to hide the pattern? This has been on my list for awhile. It's a slight different shade compared to the surrounding trim, some contrast might work nicely
I've been giving this one some more thought as well since it would solve the hot/cold issue. It might be a little tall, but I bet I could get a pretty good deal on it since one of the brands at my store is Nissan. It is just such a stock part that I see on 370Z's all day long.

The shift pattern is pretty mild too so I probably wouldn't worry about the trim ring. I like the brushed aluminum look so I don't know that I would wrap it.

Would it just thread onto my B&M shifter? How do you center it?
Old 08-28-2016, 07:24 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

SHIFT **** UPDATE: I think I have it narrowed down to 2 options.

This is what I have now: Torque Solution Delrin teardrop- feels great and does not get hot or cold. Just looks plain and not weighted.

1st choice: Raceseng Sphereology- looks great, weighted, and height adjustable. Concerned about metal top becoming scorching hot in summer or ice cold in winter. Also, not sure how difficult it is to remove factory shift pattern from car as it would be redundant with this shift ****.

2nd choice: TWM Phantom Hybrid- looks good, weighted, height adjustable, and no worries about cold or heat. Does not look quite as good as the Raceseng Spereology and is expensive.

Let me know what you think, especially if you have one or the other. Curious about heat/cold on the Raceseng Spereology and what differences you noticed in shifting with a weighted shift ****. Also, how well does the height adjustment work? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2016, 07:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Even if you primarily cup the ****, instead of pistol-grip, note that the exposed SS at the top of the Raceseng Sphereology **** is recessed. You probably won't even touch it. And even if you do, the most sensitive nerve endings on the hand are at the fingertips, not the palm.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-28-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:55 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Nismo titanium

Name:  20140123_173605_zps98c4997b.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  77.4 KB
Old 08-28-2016, 07:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Wow, that's got to be hot in the summer. Do you wear gloves when you drive?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I was curious, do these things just get hot while driving, or are you talking about while the car is parked.

If it is the latter, why aren't you using a sun shade to save your dash from cracking or melting and also negating this issue?
Old 08-29-2016, 11:28 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I was curious, do these things just get hot while driving, or are you talking about while the car is parked.

If it is the latter, why aren't you using a sun shade to save your dash from cracking or melting and also negating this issue?
They get hot from sitting in the sun. Sunshades and tinted windows help, but they still get really hot in the summer and ice cold in the winter.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I have to say I am definitely leaning toward the Raceseng Sphereology after e-mailing back and forth with someone at TWM.

I sent an e-mail to TWM mentioning that I read through their website and asked for the weight of the Fastball (not listed on their site) and what the main differences were between the Phantom and the Fastball since there is a large price difference, even though they look very similar. The generic response I got back was that the Phantom was their highest quality shift **** and the most popular.

So I asked the same question again about the differences between the shift ***** and got back a rough estimate of the weight of the Fastball and links to their vague website that I was referencing and told that I should read them.

Really? So your justification for spending 3 times as much for one shift **** is that one is of a higher quality (no description of what makes it a higher quality) and that people like it? And instead of answering my question, I am told to re-read the vague website I already read? Pass

Compare that to Raceseng who actually took the time to answer my questions and even offered to make a custom CAD program to make a custom shift **** for me if I was unable to remove the factory shift pattern from my car.

I work in the customer service industry so it still amazes me how some companies totally get the importance of customer service and others are still completely clueless.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 08-30-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I've emailed TWM a few times in the last year, and like you I walked away unimpressed with the communication. It's like they just don't care, but are weirdly happy about it. I think they spend most of the day stoned, cashing checks and enjoying success in spite of their efforts otherwise.

Meh.

Raceseng impresses me with a unique, and innate, sense of design. I was hands-on with one of their ***** at the Annual G37 Meetup three weeks ago, and it was quite nice. The finish on that **** was amazing. And heavy, too, which is something I think you're looking for.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Haha! Your description of TWM cracks me up because I got the same feeling. However, I feel somewhat dirty after reading your description of Raceseng's *****.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:12 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Wow, that's got to be hot in the summer. Do you wear gloves when you drive?
Well since I don't abuse my car and leave it in the damaging Florida sun, it's rarely if ever an issue. I'd rather find shade and walk then leave the car exposed if possible.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 35Sport
Well since I don't abuse my car and leave it in the damaging Florida sun, it's rarely if ever an issue. I'd rather find shade and walk then leave the car exposed if possible.
I wish we had some shade at work, but with the window tint and the moonroof sunshade closed it is not too bad. I am experimenting now to see just how hot metal will get when it sits out in the parking lot all day.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I wish we had some shade at work, but with the window tint and the moonroof sunshade closed it is not too bad. I am experimenting now to see just how hot metal will get when it sits out in the parking lot all day.
Based on my own experiences, high heat is far less problematic than the effect of freezing temps.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:19 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
sorry, I don't check this everyday.

I have both the fastball and the Hybrid.

FASTBALL IS GARBAGE!!!!!!

absolutely crap. it's what I ordered at first. it weighs nothing and makes driving actually miserable like you're going to torque off the shift lever. I threw mine in the garbage. the plastic even felt brittle.

Hybrid is amazing. yes it's $200+. It is not difficult to keep clean AT ALL. I bought mine used. it was scratched to hell. like DEEP scratches. 2 hours and some 800grit sandpaper finished with some turtlewax a few times and I can almost shave in it (and it's white)

It's worth every penny. never changes temps, the weight makes shifting a breeze and smooth/fast. looks great. Because the shift **** is the most finger banged item in the car, I highly suggest not being cheap with it and going for quality. this is it. you won't regret it.

as for height adjustments, it threads from opening in the bottom to the very top and comes with an added 10mm (guessing on height) plunger that acts as a bump stop. probably has 2+ inches of height adjustment top to bottom. I often change my height because it changes the feel of the car IMO.

you're welcome.

Quick Reply: Shift knobs?