G37 Sedan

Driver side armrest leather cracking

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Driver side armrest leather cracking

So, i just passed my bumper to bumper warranty and this happened. Extended warranty isn't covering it. Dealership said that they can cover the labor in goodwill but i will have to pay for the parts. Assuming every Infiniti interior part is ridiculously expensive, i am not considering doing that.
So now in this case i will have to repair it myself or have it done locally.
I am thinking about getting a leather vinyl piece, cut it and use some quality 3m product to cover the whole armrest section.
Any advice?

Crack is increasing.

Also, what this color is called?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
When I bought my car this was happening. Drove me insane. The door card is three pieces screwed together. I highly doubt you can get them separate from Infiniti. However you can remove the door panel, unscrew the middle section (which is the one with the arm rest on it), pull off the entire covering (be careful there is a metal rod that is carefully held in place at the corner/seam of the arm rest holding it down to the plastic piece, 3 or 4 metal tangs hold it down and you will want to reuse them so do not brake them), carefully removed the metal rod cover and unstitch the arm rest with a seam ripper, make a template of the arm rest part, them make you a new arm rest. Sew it back in and do everything in reverse to put it back together with the addition of using a upholster grade spray adhesive when reattaching the fabric to the plastic piece. It will help to have a heat gun too to work the material.

It took me about 5 hours to one side, 1 and a half to do the other since I was then good on what to do. I used some Alcantara that I had from when I redid my shift boot and was going to use for my instrument cluster hood.

Alternatively, you could most like get an upholstery place to redo it for an amount I could not even guess at but might be less then a new door card. I do not recommend any type of product to "patch" or "seal" it. It will over time get hard and irritate your elbow. Ask me what drove me to rip my door apart to fix it...
Attached Thumbnails Driver side armrest leather cracking-armrest_outside-side.jpg  
Old 07-26-2016, 11:52 AM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zer099
When I bought my car this was happening. Drove me insane. The door card is three pieces screwed together. I highly doubt you can get them separate from Infiniti. However you can remove the door panel, unscrew the middle section (which is the one with the arm rest on it), pull off the entire covering (be careful there is a metal rod that is carefully held in place at the corner/seam of the arm rest holding it down to the plastic piece, 3 or 4 metal tangs hold it down and you will want to reuse them so do not brake them), carefully removed the metal rod cover and unstitch the arm rest with a seam ripper, make a template of the arm rest part, them make you a new arm rest. Sew it back in and do everything in reverse to put it back together with the addition of using a upholster grade spray adhesive when reattaching the fabric to the plastic piece. It will help to have a heat gun too to work the material.

It took me about 5 hours to one side, 1 and a half to do the other since I was then good on what to do. I used some Alcantara that I had from when I redid my shift boot and was going to use for my instrument cluster hood.

Alternatively, you could most like get an upholstery place to redo it for an amount I could not even guess at but might be less then a new door card. I do not recommend any type of product to "patch" or "seal" it. It will over time get hard and irritate your elbow. Ask me what drove me to rip my door apart to fix it...
Wow - very neat job.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:32 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by zer099

That looks awesome
Old 07-26-2016, 01:39 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
this is a professional job lol well done. i can open all these panels but i dont have sewing skills like you do. excellent job man. i want an alternative solution :/
Old 07-26-2016, 02:38 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
The door panel is #80901-1NH0C, the color is "Stone". That said it looks like the average price is $900... F that. It looks like you can only get the panel if you get EVERYTHING in the door panel with it. I would call some upholstery shops in your area and ask around. Unless you opt for mythical leather from a golden cow I don't think anyone will charge you more then a new door panel... or even half the cost... hell, a quarter the cost I'm willing to bet might be your high end quote.

You could get the "restoration" stuff but like I said it will in time go bad and be worse. You could "stick on" some type of patch/cover. How it will look, hold up, and you will feel about it is things I could not comment on; could be awesome and last the life you own the car, could go bad. Reupholstering it will cost most, but if you opt for a better material like real leather or a Alcantara or Ultrasuede it will be well worth it in the long run. That grey should be easy to match, FYI.

And thank you guys!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 AM
mmorcos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are actually fairly easy to take off. If I was you, I'd replace the arm rest from another car (eBay or Amazon). Last time I checked they go for 150-200